ATTN JMS: Question About Writing of Seasons 4 & 5

b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Apr 8 01:58:32 EDT 1996

Subject: ATTN JMS: Question About Writing of Seasons 4 & 5
 No.   DATE           FROM
+  1: Apr  4, 1996: sfrug at emerald.tufts.edu (Stephen Frug)
*  2: Apr  4, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: sfrug at emerald.tufts.edu (Stephen Frug)

JMS,

	Welcome!! It's great to have you back.

	I've been reading your posts on other systems in some of their
(legal) repostings, and have been storing up this question for a while
now:

	You've said a number of times that you *aren't* going to write
all of seasons 4 & 5, as you did season 3.  However, you also said, early
on, that season one would have 5 whams, season two would have 8, then 12/13,
then 17/18, then 22, respectively.  So far you've kept to that.

	My question is this.  In the past seasons, even if you haven't
written all the episodes, you've written all the wham episodes.  How
are you going to work this?  For season four, you could write only whams
and give the other 5-6 to freelancers.  What about season five?  Are you
going to let freelancers write major wham episodes?  Have you changed
your mind about the proportion of wham's to season's, now that you've
seen how much work it is to write a whole season?  (I hope not-- I've
been looking forward to all wham's!)  You  *will* still be writing a
*lot* of shows, even if not all.... right?

	Anyway, this is my first direct question, so let me conclude
by saying-- and I know everyone says this, but it's true in my case
as well-- that I *love* the show, and espeically your writing, and
eagerly await the ongoing story (i.e. "Severed Dreams" on Sunday.)

	Best,

	SF

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

I haven't actually broken down how I'm going to do this next year, in
terms of what to assign and what to do in house.  I'll have a somewhat
better idea once I sit down with the outline, break out the various parts
of it for the period in question, see what I want to throw out or keep
from that based on things that I've modified this season or changed my
mind about....

At that point I'll have a solid notion of the stand-alones that can be
farmed out.  At this juncture, having just finished writing all 22 this
year, and almost finished with production, I'm still catching my breath.
Check back with me on this closer to late May or early June.