JMS on CompuServe (Aug 08, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Aug 8 13:18:55 EDT 1996

    Sb: #554625-Just some thoughts.....
    Sb: #555397-Eng Lit & B5
    Sb: #555089-Babylon 5 , CC Game
    Sb: #555200-Kosh/Lyta/Kyle Question
    Sb: #555131-War Without End
    Sb: #555077-#B5: The Sequel?
    Sb: #555749-Your Anticipation

   starts with issue number five. ]

 #: 555654 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-Aug-96  19:40:08
Sb: #554625-Just some thoughts.....
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Think of how annoying it will be, in ten years time, when this stuff will be a
valuable collector's item, and having to explain that there was never any
issues 1-4, THEY STARTED ON 5!!!!!!"

      That's *exactly* what I was thinking of....

    07-Aug-96  11:56:48
Sb: #555013-#Eng Lit & B5
Fm: SUSAN PEAK

I'll look forward to your eventual book! Otherwise, I was really thinking of
what books you liked, rather than just what had influenced B5.

I bought a book of Poe, to read Cask of Amontillado - it is a good story. I
suspect that B5 will expand my library a bit.

Susan.

 #: 555700 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Aug-96  20:13:50
Sb: #555397-Eng Lit & B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      What books I like....

      I generally recommend the dark fantasist Jonathan Carroll to anyone
who'll listen, his work is superb.  Beyond that, these days I mainly read
nonfiction.

                                                                    jms

 #: 555701 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Aug-96  20:13:51
Sb: #555089-Babylon 5 , CC Game
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      You would contact Warner Bros. Licensing in Burbank.  But they don't deal
with individuals, it would have to come through a company that was prepared and
capable of doing the licensing.

    07-Aug-96  07:15:13
Sb: #Kosh/Lyta/Kyle Question
Fm: DOUG MCFADYEN

Hi JMS,

First off, I was introduced to B5 in the spring, and now I just can't get
enough of it.  Great work!!!
Then, I made the mistake of actually THINKING about the show.  Woops!  Here's
my question(s)...

In "The Fall of the Night", I think it was noted that it is a great strain on
Kosh to be seen by many different people (races) at the same time.  I would
extrapolate from this that it is a slight strain on Kosh to be seen by just one
person.  Correct?  In TFotN, Kosh _chose_ to be seen (perhaps under great
duress).

Now, way back in "The Gathering", both Dr. Kyle and Lyta "saw" Kosh after he
was poisoned (under protest from the Vorlons, if I remember correctly).  When
they both "saw" Kosh, he was probably unconscious.  I know it can be a risk to
take an anthropocentric view of Kosh, but it least it can be used as a point of
reference.

So, if it is a strain on Kosh to be "seen" by people, is it an autonomic
strain?  If so, then I guess it doesn't matter if Kosh was unconscious or not
(just as I still breath and my heart beats even while I sleep).

But (here's the kicker), if he must consciously be perceived by others (in that
he "wills" his appearance), then what did Dr. Kyle and Lyta actually see when
they looked at him?  Did they see a REAL VORLON?

I wonder this because both these character are not around much, and Lyta seems
to be somehow drawn to Vorlons more than anyone else.  Did Lyta see "through"
the veil?

Thanks,
Doug McFadyen

(This message can be retransmitted and reposted without my consent.  It's
public domain!)

 #: 555702 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Aug-96  20:13:54
Sb: #555200-Kosh/Lyta/Kyle Question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Being seen by one person is automatic, no strain involved, it's almost an
autonamic reflex...it's extending the influence to more than one person that's
difficult.

    07-Aug-96  03:23:36
Sb: #555019-#War Without End
Fm: NIGEL NIXON

>>so it'd all match up when the time came to show that half of the story.<<

In B^2 Sinclair has the vision of B5 being invaded, while Garibaldi has a
vision of Lise Hampton. Though in WWEI _Garibaldi_ says he had the vision of B5
being invaded...

 Nigel
 Feeder free! Guaranteed!! EDCAST2.ZIP!!
 Dictator of France, Duck of Normandy, Minister of Bad Puns.
 Chancellor of the Ex-Keffer. Attractive dude! Official!

 #: 555704 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-Aug-96  20:13:56
Sb: #555131-War Without End
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      When there's a time-flash, everyone has a vision forward or backward. The
vision of Lise Hampton long AFTER the one we saw nominally from Sinclair's POV.
We never saw specifically what Garibaldi saw at that same moment.

                                                                    jms

   series. ]

 #: 555839 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-Aug-96  23:47:29
Sb: #555077-#B5: The Sequel?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      NO!  NO, no, no, no, no....NO GUESSING ABOUT THE SEQUEL, because guesses
about the sequel is basically putting out reams of story ideas.  If someone
comes up with an interesting notion...guess what?  I CAN'T USE IT BECAUSE OF
THE POSSIBILITY OF LAWSUIT.  So this discussion could kill any hope of doing a
sequel along any interesting lines.

      I've already said...the sequel would be built to some degree around the
rangers.  Let it go at that.

    07-Aug-96  21:28:26
Sb: #Your Anticipation
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

jms -

We're doing nail-chewing until the Final Five.  Are you equally anticipatory to
get online reaction to the Final Five (after all, they've been in the can for
quite a while now).  I'm not making any assumption here that you need the
global "our" imprimatur for your episodes, but you do seem to welcome these
dialogues as a way to gauge whether or not your intentions are in synch with
exterior perceptions (at least the combined online responders are more
interesting than simple Nielsen share-point data).

    - rje -

 #: 555850 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Aug-96  23:59:22
Sb: #555749-Your Anticipation
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'm definitely looking forward to the reaction.  Today, for instance, we
did the final audio mix of "Z'ha'dum," our third season ending episode. All of
the EFX were in place, the sound, the music...and after we did the piecemeal
mix, layering in things in a stop-and-go fashion, we did our playback, watching
it straight through.  I don't think anyone was breathing for the fourth act.
Everyone was just wog-boggled.  The emotional impact of it all is quite strong.

      When the lights came up, and I looked around to the stunned faces in the
room, the only thing I could say was, "Welcome to history, gentlemen."

      Looking forward to reactions?  Oh, yeah, I suppose you could say that....