Con Report: JMS at San Diego Comic Con, July 6, 1996

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Jul 9 06:17:59 EDT 1996

Subject: Con Report: JMS at San Diego Comic Con, July 6, 1996
+  1: Jul  8, 1996: drmorris at athena.mit.edu (David R. Morrison)
*  2: Jul  9, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: drmorris at athena.mit.edu (David R. Morrison)

Saturday, July 6, I attended the San Diego Comic Convention and saw
JMS's presentation.

Potential general spoilers for episodes past, and present are littered
through this report.  There's nothing more than might be in your average
news article, however the spoiler hyper-sensitive are advised to skip.
Any major spoilers for episodes unaired in the US are placed at the very
end of the article.

This report is based on memory and bunches of madly scrawled notes.
While I've taken care to be accurate, I'm sure there are few things off
here and there.  Nothing in this article has been reviewed or confirmed!

Enjoy!

Dave Morrison         **      --      **       Babylon 5 Fan Club Fan 5

---

This year we got the big room!  By my count, the room seated 2400, and
there were still people standing.  I don't know what they will do for
next year.  By comparison the Sliders panel got about 1/4th of that, and
the ST panel ("Glorious Past, Tenuous Future?") got about 150.

The show opened with the lights going down, and the monitors lighting up
with the "Requiem for the Line" video short (a John Hudgens/Z-Team
production).  It's a video montage accompanied by the Chris Franke's
"Requiem for the Line" (track 12 (US)).  Very inspiring.

The clip finished, the lights came up, and JMS was standing at the front
of the auditorium.  Half-standing applause.

JMS:  "Year 4.  We got it."

Riotous applause and cheering.  JMS looks at the audience and at that
point mostly full room.  "A funny story".  Asks how many were at Chicago
Comic Con.  Not many.  Good, he says... many of the stories are the
same.

At Marcon (Ohio), a 3 day con, JMS looked at the room they gave him for
his presentation.  It held about 300 people.  The organizers tried to
tell him it would be fine for the number of people he would get.  "You
don't understand.  My people are coming."  JMS was speaking in the lobby
with people down the stairs.  For the next day, they gave him a room
twice as big.  That should be definitely be big enough, they said.  "You
don't understand.  My people are coming."  For the last day, they got
the biggest room in the place.  1700 people.  "Packed it to the rim."

"Satisfying and wonderful to see us all."

They had to pitch the show to WB (or the PTEN executive committee, not
sure).  The committee would select 4-5 of the pitches for the fall.  The
other areas heard, and were a little miffed that a non in-house show was
pitching for their spots.  JMS asked the people, "Should I bring a bunch
of stuff?".  This being t-shirts, mugs, pictures, video, candy, etc...
"No, just the pitch is fine".  So JMS brings only a 15 second CGI clip.
Every other show brings all sorts of stuff (t-shirts, mugs, pictures,
video, candy, etc...).  JMS has to compete against that with a 15 second
clip and his personality.  While waiting, Doug Netter and he did much
pacing.  Then, while JMS was grinding his teeth, he split a molar
lengthwise.  "Crap."  He opened his mouth and when the air-conditioned
air hit it he saw colors he had never seen before.  Doug suggested doing
the pitch the next day, but JMS figured that after the committee heard 2
days/15 pitches, B5 wouldn't have much of a chance.  They got a pitcher
of ice water, and JMS filled his mouth.  He couldn't talk, "Hwi.  I wam
Jwoe."   To this day, he has no recollection of the pitch.  At the time,
he was sure he had lost, but they got the deal.

Something that has surprised him recently about B5 fandom, is how
communities have formed.  In Washington, DC someone posted, "Come to my
house for B5 ... I have a big TV with a great sound system."  He got
about 50 people.  JMS said normally one has to be a little nuts to
invite 50 strangers to your house, and perhaps totally whacked to do it
in Washington, DC.  But this is what B5 has done.  BBQs are common.

He's gotten notes from fans in the Vatican.  "The brothers and I watch
the show.  We really like it."  JMS, "If you see the pope slap him on
the back for me."  "I never heard back."  "I don't know why."

He has fans in the Pentagon.  He knows because they've called.  Some
troops are in locations where they can't get video equipment and they
want synopses.  So the Pentagon wants to know how to get the WWW pages.
"Yes, the pentagon... those people who create the things to bring about
world destruction is asking how to get something from the web."  They
use it a "force multiplier"  JMS:  "Speak english ... morale booster".

Notes from Bosnia, "We understand what you write about."

The Secret Service has sent JMS care packages.  He got a shirt [or
jacket?] from the Secret Service with "White House" on it.  He called
them and said, "Wait, it doesn't say Secret Service on it anywhere."
They responded, "Well if it said that, it wouldn't be secret, would it?"

There's a show biz softball league, in which they play.  The Jerseys all
have 5 on them.  (Apparently there's a rule that all shirts have to have
to be numbered... but no rule which says they have to be numbered differently.)
The other teams complained.  They responded, "Well we had shirts with
all 4's but they all vanished."  "They didn't get it."

They played Star Trek: Voyager, where they lost.  Then they played Star
Trek: Deep Space Nine.  JMS sent them out with instructions, "If you
lose don't come back."  They won.

They have a loose set.  There have been many practical jokes.

About 4-5 months ago, a good one happened to Jason Carter.  The idea
came up to make him think that his character dies in the next episode,
"Grey 17 is Missing".  Bill Mumy was going to deliver the news.  JMS
thought that Bill would just do a little 5 minute thing.  BM goes to JC,
very solemnly, "Listen, I heard what happened...  Don't feel bad...  This
thing happens in the industry..."  BM keeps hamming it up.  When JC
tries to protest, BM says, "Oh...You don't know...", gets all ashen
faced, and puts his hands over his mouth.  JC, "They can't do that...I
have a contract."  BM, "You have options."  BM goes on for 1.5 hours.
This has really gotten to JC at this point.  He goes on the set.  He
asks Claudia Christian if he really dies in the next script.  CC, "Yup,
you're toast."  He asks Bruce Boxleitner, and gets, "Well, they replaced
Sinclair."  JMS, meanwhile knows none of this.  JC goes to JMS's office,
but JMS is out.  A script is out, and as it happens, at the bottom of
the page is "he leans back to give the death blow to Marcus".  JMS, "How
can I describe his state right now."  Someone comes to JMS, "I think
there's something wrong with Jason."  Jason's lower lip is losing its
muscle control.  JMS finally explains it to him.  At the hospital, JMS
writes Jason a note.  "Dear Jason, I will never kill you again.  Signed,
Joe."  Jason sent a copy to agent.  JC, "Now I have a contract."

JMS, "This is how we work on the show."

The work on the new year begins August 26.  New episodes will show in
October.  The UK will see the final five before the US.  Crowd grumbles
and sighs.  "You will 9 in a row in the fall."

JMS wanted to show an episode at the convention.  But then lawyers got
into it (hisses from the audience).  Then WB got into it (more hisses).
The WB lawyers (majors hissing).  He went to them saying that he wanted
to show this ep.  They asked, "How many in the room?"  Stupidly he told
the the truth (a thousand or so).  "Screeches... pterodactyl noises came
out".  "That's a theatrical exhibition... unions could come after us...
200,000 damages...impossible."  JMS, "Come on, that would never happen."
But there was no relenting.

A voice from the crowd says, "Show it - we won't tell."  JMS, "How many
in this room are on usenet?"  Many hands go up.  "One of you will."

Weird things happen.  In San Francisco, he was having breakfast with Pat
Tallman.  She had her child with her.  She has to leave for a bit.  The
waiter came up to him, and says what a great kid he has.  Joe politely
accents.  "He looks just like you."  Joe has dazed look.

Next he showed a music video with clips from the last 5 episodes.  Per
lawyers (hisses), it has a message at the front where B5 can be seen in
San Diego and telling others to check local listings.  There's also a
disclaimer.  What's in the clip contains some big honking spoilers, so
check at the end for details.  {personally, I don't think they were so
big, but someone is going to think they are big and honking}

JMS: "From what you've just seen, things pick up a little."

JMS then describes the plot areas covered in the last 5 eps.  Again, see
the end for the spoilers.

It now likes like we need a bigger room.  People are standing along the
walls.

JMS also brought along 5 clips of scenes from the last 5 episodes.  The
lawyers (more hisses) said the scenes could only contain our regular
cast.  The clips roll.  See the spoiler section for a description of the
clips.

Questions and answers:

Q: Where the shadows at the battle of the line?