JMS on CompuServe (May 01, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Wed May 1 14:17:54 EDT 1996

    Sb: #497943-#Babylon 5 !!@***!!@*%^**
    Sb: #498269-B5Sword Logo
    Sb: #498268-<Ship of Tears>
    Sb: #498024-<Ship of Tears- Narns?>
    Sb: #498243-JMS: gun port=respect?
    Sb: #498427-Story of G'Quon
    Sb: #498431-#<A Late Delivery>

 #: 497943 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Apr-96  06:09:07
Sb: #497470-#Babylon 5 !!@***!!@*%^**
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

Fool that I am, I actually tried to give Lynne some substantive feedback for
that question of hers.  She has downloaded your message and mine.  I hope she
read them.

You're right that the show speaks for itself, but you're also (a teeny bit)
wrong.  To someone who samples one episode at a time, expecting to see a
discrete story that they can comprehend in one 1 hour viewing, it must be
frustratingly difficult to understand.  Did you notice Henry Briscoe's comment
to me, yesterday?  He took my advice and watched more than one week in a row,
and is beginning to understand and appreciate.  I predict he'll be more active
here, soon...

Now, I have to wait on pins and needles, 'til Ship of Tears airs on Sunday...

I thought you said the last few episodes were supposed to be lower intensity to
give us a rest between Severed Dreams and War Without End.  You lied, you
wonderful person.  Those are all great, heavy, intense episodes.  They aren't
shoot 'em ups, but wow oh wow, anyway....

Anne

 #: 498341 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Apr-96  19:58:58
Sb: #497943-#Babylon 5 !!@***!!@*%^**
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, I agree, that a serious inquiry can merit good responses that lead to
the person checking out the show.  It's just when somebody comes in and demands
or tells you to "defend" the show, I've never yet seen a situation where the
person had any interest in the answer...they just like to see people have to
defend themselves on that which does not require defense.

      I've been on the nets 15 years...I know all the routines by heart.

    30-Apr-96  18:05:52
Sb: #B5Sword Logo
Fm: TRENT K. JOHNSON

I am currently working on a full-screen version of the B5 sword logo, generated
froma 3D reconstruction of the small JPEG "web page" version.  If there's no
potential conflict and any one is interested, may I upload it?

I can also send it to you first, if you like.

Trent/ReAnimators
                  ^^^^                           CD-RMES

 #: 498342 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Apr-96  19:58:59
Sb: #498269-B5Sword Logo
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I suppose it could be uploaded (if included with proper link info to the
B5 web page)...but yeah, just run it past me first so's I can check it out.

                                                                  jms

 #: 498268 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-Apr-96  18:05:47
Sb: #497144-#<Ship of Tears>
Fm: TRENT K. JOHNSON

>>This is a particularly good episode,<<

I'd certainly second that.  Because of a timely satellite grab, I was able to
watch Avalon and Tears back to back.

There's an incredible contrast between the two;  Avalon is warm and noble,
while Tears was pointedly creepy.  It left me feeling uncomfortable for hours
afterward.

And the preview for the first installment of the two parter was nicely done,
keeping the spoils to a bare minimum.  My skin *really* began to crawl when
closer examination revealed what ship is presumably destroyed after we hear
Sheridan say, "No ship we have can stand up to them!".

I think I'll be camping out at a sat dish come Sunday...

Trent/ReAnimators
                  ^^^^                           CD-RMES

 #: 498343 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-Apr-96  19:59:02
Sb: #498268-<Ship of Tears>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, the teaser you saw isn't from the two-parter, it's from
"Interludes and Examinations," which airs just before "War."

                                                                     jms

   to write in the off-season. ]

 #: 498344 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-Apr-96  19:59:04
Sb: #498024-<Ship of Tears- Narns?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, apparently the rights negotations between the production company and
the apparent rights owner (First) ran into unresolved rights questions from
Ostrander, who says *he* has the rights...and now it'll have to go into
arbitration.  Since it'll take 90 days to conclude that arbitration, that'll
eat up my window of opportunity to do the script before B5 would get going for
year four...so it'll have to wait at least a year now.

                                                                        jms

   of weapons a sign of respect.  He believes the Minbari should have known
   better than to do such a thing on first contact with an unknown race. ]

 #: 498429 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Apr-96  23:55:55
Sb: #498243-JMS: gun port=respect?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It goes back a long time...if you look at certain members of the animal
kingdom, they will often flash their teeth or growl to establish their
identity, to show equality with someone else.  You have to step outside a human
perspective and ask how an alien would show respect, which may not be how we
would logically do so.  (Heck, in many cultures here on earth, a perfectly
normal habit -- crossing your legs and the bottom of your foot showing -- is
taken as a grave insult in some cultures.  Certain customs are deeply rooted in
cultural backgrounds or incidents that are often incomprehensible to us.)

                                                                       jms

   it when the series ends. :-) ]

 #: 498430 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Apr-96  23:59:19
Sb: #498427-Story of G'Quon
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The book was made by Mark Walters of our prop department; and when all is
said and done...it'll likely end up in my office....

      Creation hath its perks.

                                                                  jms

   from Avalon."  JMS' reply doesn't really seem to be intended for this
   message. ]

 #: 498444 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    01-May-96  01:19:39
Sb: #498431-#<A Late Delivery>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, what I'd said was that these 2-3 eps between big arcs were NOT
arc stories per se, but breathers.  Just to clarify....