Philosophy ? (SPOILERS for F5) WAS JMS's "old" GEnie posts

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Thu Oct 10 06:31:31 EDT 1996

Subject: Philosophy ? (SPOILERS for F5) WAS JMS's "old" GEnie posts
s  1: Oct  8, 1996: jegolf at mcs.com (J.M.Egolf)
*  2: Oct 10, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: jegolf at mcs.com (J.M.Egolf)

In article <53e8il$evv at mercury.initco.net>,
Joe Lawson <mi at dragonware.com> wrote:
>Referring to old GEnie posts on the Lurkers Guide website, J.M.Egolf wrote:
>>.... remember, failure is the worst thing that can happen to you if you
>>try, but it's the *best* thing that can happen to you if you *don't* try.
>>
>As one of the original Grid Epsilon Irregulars, I remember those heady days
>with great fondness.  They are truly a hoot to reread.
>
>As a result of the inspiration of those words, the show, and JMS himself, I
>have and continue to set myself on courses I would never have imagined
>before...  an animation business, leaving a long-standing and loved job for
>something even better, etc...
>
>I would add, "Witness the turtle.  Without sticking his neck out, he proceeds
>nowhere."

Here's a question for you, and anybody else reading this:

(and since it's partly brought on by something in the Final Five, I'll
stick in some space first)

How do you tell when you are sticking your neck out, finding what
scares you and doing it, believing in yourself and follwing your dreams,

and when you are just running away, because your life is boring, and your
job is "unsatisfying", and because the grass looks greener from here?

(the grass *always* looks greener from a distance -- it's a trick of the
atmosphere, or the planetary curvature, or something...)

Some days I feel as though I've spent my whole life "skipping town"
(figuratively and literally) when things got dull, or too difficult --

I dunno, maybe that's how you know -- if it seems like the difficulties
are *worth* something ... ?

When is walkabout a legitimate choice, and when is it a cop-out?
--
    J.M. ("Jamie") Egolf

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

"When is walkabout a legitimate choice, and when is it a cop-out?"

When you're more afraid of what you're running *to* than what you're
running *from*.