Babylon 5 - the long slow slide

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Sep 17 06:16:19 EDT 1996

Subject: Babylon 5 - the long slow slide
s  1: Sep 16, 1996: kat at connexus.apana.org.au (Kathryn Andersen)
*  2: Sep 17, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: kat at connexus.apana.org.au (Kathryn Andersen)

I have been watching Babylon 5 since the start.  I have seen up to WWE.
And I am wondering why I should want to watch any further.  There is no
hope any more.  There is nothing to look forward to.  Only doom,
destruction, disaster, and death.

The Future
	Talia is dead.  Worse than dead.

The One
	The one who was is gone.
	The one-who-is is a hypocrite.
	The one-who-is-to-come is doomed.

Londo is doomed.
Vir is betrothed to a psychopath.

Ivanova is a hypocrite.  (She will bend the law for her own benefit, but
utterly refuse to bend it for anyone else).

Kosh is dead!

Lennier is hardly there.
Franklin is gone (not that he was all that great when he was there - his
best character bit was in Believers, and maybe GROPOS, and maybe
Confessions and Lamentations).

Na'toth is dead.
G'Kar, okay - but what will happen?  If he is to be likened to Cassandra,
does that mean he will go mad?

If practically everybody that I care about is dead or doomed, why should I
stay to see?  There is *nothing* to look forward to.

The first season was the best season.  Then, we had intelligent,
thought-provoking issues.  Believers.  Soul Hunter.  Legacies.
Deathwalker.  And so on.  The last time where we had such a both-sides
situation was In The Shadow of Z'ha'Dum, between Garibaldi and Sheridan.
But since then, though there may have been lines here and there, there
have really been no two-sided issues.  Passing Through Gesthemane,
perhaps.  But lately, jms has been far too busy blowing things up.
Not to mention blowing the characters up.  Maybe if there are enough
explosions, we won't notice the empty hollow ring of nothingness.

There are good things there still.  But it is so much less than it was.
If it doesn't get better, I don't think I could bear to watch it any
more.

--
 _--_|\	    | Kathryn Andersen		<kat at connexus.apana.org.au>
/      \    | 		http://connexus.apana.org.au/~kat

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

It has to get real dark before it can get light; and if you're going to
have a war, you have to have battles.  But believe me, there's a lot more
coming down the pike of a different sort.

 jms