JMS on CompuServe (Feb 08, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sat Feb 8 23:06:37 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #646213-Thanks for a Few
    Sb: #646236-<ITF>
    Sb: #646291-Into the Fire
    Sb: #646412-<<Into The Fire>>
    Sb: #646403->>Into the Fire<<

 #: 646213 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Feb-97  12:10:35
Sb: #Thanks for a Few
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

    I've noticed that lately, you're putting the Executive Producer credits
over actual action (instead of the black screen used for most of the series).
I want to thank you for that extra couple of seconds of scene.  It's been
refreshing and I hope you can keep doing it.

  -- Brent

 #: 646323 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Feb-97  17:48:31
Sb: #646213-Thanks for a Few
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       We vary it depending on what's going on...in general, it's best over the
black, I think.

    07-Feb-97  13:40:32
Sb: #<ITF>
Fm: JONATHAN KASS

Sir,

Was left with an odd feeling after ITF last nite... I think I've seen posts by
you now that suggest you may have been going for this sense of peril passed so
quickly that we're left wondering "what next"... I have a small wish that
someday, when Sinclair is on his way back in WWE2, he stops by here and secures
you a 5th season sooner, so you might have had a chance to take more time with
what was covered in these 6 episodes...  couldn't help wishing for more about
this part of the story....

However, one thing I'm sure about, and thats what is possibly my favorite
moment in the entire series (I know that may be a bit much, but thats how I
feel right now)...

Starting with Londo telling Morden not to move, ending with...

Morden - What are you going to do, blow up the island?

The following moment was so nearly perfectly played as to have jumped out of my
TV and been on stage in front of me.  Peter J. did an incredible job in that
one moment - Londo for one moment in his life with ALL the cards in his hands,
with NO doubt of his actions - slowly turning, so slowly nodding, so very
slowly bringing the device up and finally tapping the button... and then (in an
unexpected parallel to Sheridan), explaining how he had to order some of his
own people to stay behind to make sure no suspicion was aroused...

bravo... to some extent, that was the moment that began so long ago when Morden
first met Londo, and was so much of the catalyst for everything else...

Jonathan

ps. too bad we didn't get to torture Morden, though... I thought his death,
while a great closure and clearly what everyone was expecting since Vir's
speech, was a bit too much off-camera - especially compared to Refa...

 #: 646324 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-Feb-97  17:48:32
Sb: #646236-<ITF>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks...that's a favorite moment of mine as well.

    07-Feb-97  16:15:37
Sb: #Into the Fire
Fm: DOUGLAS PILIGIAN

Joe,

Just saw the episode last night and I have to tell you how much I enjoyed it.
You have done a wonderful job of creating all these threads and weaving them
this tapestry.  Also, I think the effects in this episode should put an end to
those who question your decision to bring them in-house. They were the best
effort yet and I can't wait to see how you improve upon them in the coming
seasons.

I have been voting in the Poll 5 since the start and wanted you to know that I
voted a 10 for this episode.  Not just for all the space ships flying and
fighting etc.  This 10 vote for me is more a vote for stories and characters
leading up to this point, and the way it has all come together so far.  To me
these people feel real and I find myself going through the story with them.  I
feel Susan's frustration at the universe out of her control, Londo's fears and
doubts, the weight resting on John's shoulders, etc.  Please pass on to the
entire cast my thanks for such marvelous performances, for creating people that
we do care about.

This is getting a bit longer than I thought it would be when I started, so let
me end with a question.  The Vorlon "thing" Sheridan was with reminded me of
the outfit Susan was wearing in the dream John had in All Alone in the Night
when Kosh came into his mind. Was it?

Doug

 #: 646325 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-Feb-97  17:48:33
Sb: #646291-Into the Fire
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks for the kind words.

       No, no relation to Ivanova's outfit.  I just wanted a sense of something
that was both ancient and ageless, frozen, formal, distant.

                                                                       jms

 #: 646432 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-Feb-97  23:03:49
Sb: #646412-<<Into The Fire>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  There is a definite parent/child/parent dynamic going on there,
in that Lorien is, in a way, in that role to the Vorlons and the Shadows,
they're in that role to us, and we're in that role to those who will follow.
It's the endless cycle.

    07-Feb-97  21:03:08
Sb: #646067-#>>Into the Fire<<
Fm: SYSOP DUPA T PARROT

That was a nice touch using Morden's voice as the Shadow's voice.

BTW, what was that entity that Ivanova saw in "Voices Of Authority" and the
"Hour Of The Wolf" (I think)? It looked like a Shadow head as lights and made
Shadow sounds. Was it the Papa Shadow?

 -SysOp Dupa T. Parrot, Technical Consultant
 dupa at compuserve.com    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dupa
 OzWin 2.12 O-

 #: 646433 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-Feb-97  23:03:50
Sb: #646403->>Into the Fire<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The Sigma 957 ship was one of the First One ships, yeah.