ATTN George Johnson: No more space battles like Long Twilight

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Fri Feb 28 06:24:29 EST 1997

Subject: ATTN George Johnson: No more space battles like Long Twilight
s  1: Feb 26, 1997: fox at allspice.cs.swarthmore.edu (Annie Fox)
+  2: Feb 26, 1997: klind at craywr.cray.com (Kevin Lind)
*  3: Feb 28, 1997: George Johnsen <ndeiprod at earthlink.net>

From: fox at allspice.cs.swarthmore.edu (Annie Fox)

I was wondering why we haven't seen any other space battles like
we saw in the Long, Twilight Struggle.  I believe this is the one
where *SPOLIERS FOR LTS BELOW*

The Shadows decimate the Narn fleet near the planet which serves as
a Centauri weapons depot.  The space battles here were fought over
great distances.  Distances so far, you couln't actually see the
ships together in the same shot.  I thought this was very realistic
SF, but we haven't seen anything like that since.

We have seen a lot of the small ship fighting like in Severed Dreams,
shown as chaotic and confusing.  But with large fleets, the ships seemed
too close together.  Was there a reason why we don't see the don't
see the long-distance space battles any more?  Will we ever see more
in the future?

					-Peter

From: klind at craywr.cray.com (Kevin Lind)

In article <5f1pep$jff at larch.cc.swarthmore.edu>, fox at allspice.cs.swarthmore.edu (Annie Fox) writes:

|> I was wondering why we haven't seen any other space battles like
|> we saw in the Long, Twilight Struggle.  I believe this is the one
|> where *SPOLIERS FOR LTS BELOW*

|> The Shadows decimate the Narn fleet near the planet which serves as
|> a Centauri weapons depot.  The space battles here were fought over
|> great distances.  Distances so far, you couln't actually see the
|> ships together in the same shot.  I thought this was very realistic
|> SF, but we haven't seen anything like that since.
|>
|> We have seen a lot of the small ship fighting like in Severed Dreams,
|> shown as chaotic and confusing.  But with large fleets, the ships seemed
|> too close together.  Was there a reason why we don't see the don't
|> see the long-distance space battles any more?  Will we ever see more
|> in the future?
|>
|> 					-Peter

If I may guess...

If you have a bunch of smaller ships, you want to closely engage the capital
ships of your enemy to take advantage of your greater maneuverability and lessen
the advantage of their greater armament. Since Sheridan was never ambushed by the
Shadows, I assume he put himself in the best possible position.

From: George Johnsen <ndeiprod at earthlink.net>

>Kevein responded to:
|>
|> I was wondering why we haven't seen any other space battles like
|> we saw in the Long, Twilight Struggle.  I believe this is the one
|> where *SPOLIERS FOR LTS BELOW*

Kevin-

Well said, well strategized!

George Johnsen