Sleeping in Light ( *Spoilers* )

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Wed Dec 2 06:44:22 EST 1998

From: "Shane D. Killian" <shanek at vnet.net>
Date: 1 Dec 1998 08:56:52 -0700

Jms at B5 wrote:

> Dear Mr. Tolkien:
>
> I just wanted to say that I think the way you ended THE LORD OF THE
> RINGS was crap.  You didn't provide any closure.  Instead of spending
> time with the hobbits clearing out the shire (come on, urban renwal in
> LoTR? give me a break) and lots of goodbyes, you SHOULD have shown me
> what happened to Tom Bombadil, he was an important part of the story,
> and you just left his story thread there unresolved.

Here's a quote I find particularly relevant about the whole thing:

"...if you're going to criticize me for not finishing the whole thing
and tying it up in a bow for you, why, do us both a favor and write your
own damn book, only have the decency to call it a romance instead of a
history, because history's got no bows on it, only frayed ends of
ribbons and knots that can't be untied. It ain't a pretty package but
then it's not your birthday that I know of, so I'm under no obligation
to give you a gift."
                                        --Alvin Journeyman
                                          Chapter 1, closing paragraph
                                          Orson Scott Card

--
Shane D. Killian -- shanek at vnet.net -- http://users.vnet.net/shanek
"uuunnn k mmmmmmk hhhhhhhh  khbbbbbbbbbbbh

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 1 Dec 1998 16:03:05 -0700

>"...if you're going to criticize me for not finishing the whole thing
>and tying it up in a bow for you, why, do us both a favor and write your
>own damn book, only have the decency to call it a romance instead of a
>history, because history's got no bows on it, only frayed ends of
>ribbons and knots that can't be untied. It ain't a pretty package but
>then it's not your birthday that I know of, so I'm under no obligation
>to give you a gift."

I knew there was a reason I liked his books....