JMS on CompuServe (Feb 14, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sat Feb 14 19:54:29 EST 1998

    Sb: #19849-#<tVftG> Prismatic View
    Sb: #19782-<The View>
    Sb: #19903-Thank You
    Sb: #19950-#Bo and Mack remind me of
    Sb: #19945-VFtG
    Sb: #19925-B5 Official Guide CD

   take a break from the arc. ]

 #: 19857 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    14-Feb-98  00:36:05
Sb: #19849-#<tVftG> Prismatic View
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, it's still a problem for some groups of fans...the core of it is,
you have to do some strong character stories amid the arc stories, because if
you don't, if you don't continue to make the characters into people you *care*
about, then the arc stuff doesn't matter.

      We had a couple of arc-light episodes to start off this season, in part
due to knowing that we were going to get a lot of new viewers who had to be
brought up to speed, and due to introducing Lochley, and there's this group
that goes over the edge saying that the arc is faltering, it's going too
slow....

      But then you turn around, and if you do 3-5 arc episodes in a row, the
same group goes over another cliff saying that it's all moving too fast.

      If something's resolved in 6 episodes they say it should've been done in
8; if in 8, they say it should have been 6...if it isn't a strong SF-based
story it shouldn't be in the show at all...if it doesn't hew to our format,
it's frivlous and self-indulgent and a waste, get back to the arc....

      One could go mad, quite easily.

                                                                    jms

 #: 19858 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    14-Feb-98  00:36:05
Sb: #19782-<The View>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"1) Back in a college creative writing class my professor expressed that a
person would have to be either a fool, a genius or insane to write a story
from the POV of a minor charters.  Which do you consider yourself?"

      Your professor's worst nightmare.

"2) Last week you pointed out that your writing credit was put up as G'kar was
talking about his muse.  This week it Mac was saying "Let's go eat" when you
credit was displayed.  Any comment?"

      It didn't mean anything that I could see.

"3) Can Zac arrest the Rough Cut guy?  He impersonates a doctor, and busts
into Sheridan's office.  There has to be some offence he's committed (other
than insulting our intelligence and your show).  Or, better yet, lets see him
in the vacuum of space already!"

      We try....

                                                                    jms

 #: 19958 S2/Bab 5: General
    14-Feb-98  15:06:06
Sb: #19903-Thank You
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, I appreciate all of that.

                                                                    jms

 #: 19950 S2/Bab 5: General
    14-Feb-98  13:07:00
Sb: #Bo and Mack remind me of
Fm: DAVE LATORRE

A standing ovation for AVftG!!!  What a neat way to turn a story by hinging
everything on the most delightful pair of tall/short characters since those
famous droids.  It was surreal to see them taking a break while the battle
raged in full view outside.  Terrific theater.  But tell me, was the "Bo and
Mack get caught in the cross fire" scene a wink in an obvious direction?

Dave

 #: 19959 S2/Bab 5: General
    14-Feb-98  15:06:06
Sb: #19950-#Bo and Mack remind me of
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.

"But tell me, was the "Bo and Mack get caught in the cross fire" scene a wink
in an obvious direction?"

      If it was, I didn't know about it.

                                                                    jms

 #: 19945 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    14-Feb-98  11:31:14
Sb: #VFtG
Fm: KOSLOSKY

JMS,

The Lurker's Guide asked the same question that was in my mind after viewing
this Ep - where was the Great Machine in all of the desperate fighting?  Twice
now B5 has been in danger of destruction (Zha-ha-dum was the first) and yet
where was Draal?

Respectfully,

Bob

 #: 19960 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    14-Feb-98  15:06:06
Sb: #19945-VFtG
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I don't think Draal wants to be bothered each and every time B5 is in a
hassle.  He specifically said he wanted to be left alone.  Otherwise you also
get into a "god in the box" deus ex machina situation where, "Oh, we're in
trouble, quick, get Draal."  Truth is, if they called him every time they got
in trouble, he'd never get ANY sleep.

      Now, if B5 had failed in stopping this advance force, and the main fleet
came in, then yeah, they might very well call him.  But this was just an
advance force, and she knew they could take it, and she was right...so where's
the need for Draal?  He should be a last resort ONLY.

                                                                    jms

   to malfunction?" ]

 #: 19961 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    14-Feb-98  15:06:07
Sb: #19925-B5 Official Guide CD
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Don't know the music answer...as for Babcom, yes, it's a broken unit,
which when you tap it with the mouse, allows you to eavesdrop on bits and
pieces of converstion around the station.