[B5JMS] Message to JMS about ASM #511

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Aug 30 03:17:10 EDT 2004

From: scott34494 at yahoo.com (Scott Dubin)
Date: 29 Aug 2004 00:48:49 -0700

jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote in message news:<20040828192128.23932.00001322 at mb-m23.aol.com>...
> Nothing like a little misrepresentation to make one's day.
>
> >I'll tell you the one that really got me (though the rest of them
> >would be enough to do it on their own): when he asked Johanna "who are
> >you again?"
> >
> >I wonder exactly who exactly she'd HAVE to be to have a right to an
> >opinion on a comic book by his lights.  Like so many others, she was
> >being absolutely civil at the time and he down on her with a hateful
> >and awe-inspiringly condescending personal attack.
>
> There was no personal attack.  I simply asked one very simple question, the
> question that I think anyone who runs a site called Comics Worth Reading should
> have to ask: what are their qualifiations, and who are they?  Once she
> answered, I did not attack, I did not call her names, I did not say one other
> thing than to simply ask the question.
>
> Because a site with a name like that is not a matter of saying "This is my
> opinion about comics," but rather "If I don't like it, it's NOT WORTH READING."

Didn't you just do the same thing you insulted Paul O'Brian over:
paraphrasing something someone said to create a "strawman argument?"

"Comics worth reading" sounds to me like "Here's a list of comics
worth reading."

You rephrased it to mean "Here's a list of the only only comics that
are worth reading.  All other comics suck."

Maybe it's ambiguous, but I don't see how your rephrasing is any
different than what O'Brian did.

P.S.  Just read Strange #1 from the online link.  Loved it.  Really
well done.  I'm curious as to how you and Sam Barnes are splitting the
writing duty.

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 29 Aug 2004 10:34:12 GMT

>Didn't you just do the same thing you insulted Paul O'Brian over:
>paraphrasing something someone said to create a "strawman argument?"

I don't think they're comparable, but then, I likely wouldn't, would I?  But I
do think there's a reasonable difference between taking a statement and
rephrasing it so it means something it never, ever implied...and taking
something that's stated pretty clearly and questioning its implications.

>P.S.  Just read Strange #1 from the online link.  Loved it.  Really
>well done.  I'm curious as to how you and Sam Barnes are splitting the
>writing duty.

She (and it's Samm) writes half, and I write half, then we revise each other's
stuff to make it feel consistent.