[B5JMS] Where is JMS? In the past he defended Sins Past

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Oct 8 03:21:43 EDT 2004

From: Sean Thomas <coldfusion1970 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:29:37 +0100

In article <20041006210203.15823.00001804 at mb-m28.aol.com>,
 jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote:

> Gwen made a mistake.  But she took responsibility for it, had the kids when
> there were other options (I don't want this to turn into a debate on those
> options, I'm just saying), and was prepared to go toe-to-toe with Norman, who
> on some level she had to be afraid of, and to raise those children, even if it
> meant screwing up her career, and marrying Peter.
>
> Now, to *me*, that is a person of immense personal strength and integrity.  It
> gives her a spine and a conscience and a will that we really haven't seen in
> her before.
>
> To me, Gwen is a person...and like all people, she has good and bad, makes
> mistakes and adjusts for them.  Always tries to do the right thing.  And when
> cornered, she'll fight, not just for herself, but for other people.
>
> To other people, this seems to make her a slut.

But i dont understand the point of the story.

Gwen's been dead for a NUMBER of years, why was there this need to
desecrate her memory?

Surely theres plenty of NEW stories you can tell without having to go
back and 'fix' classic stories which were perfectly fine in the first
place.

I was not a fan of all the stuff about PP's powers being mystical either.

I've enjoyed MOST of your run so far, but this story is really something
that that has turned me against one of the few comics that i've
consistently collected over the last 20 years (even when i've at times
dropped the Fantastic Four and the X-men).

--
Sean

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think
sardines will be thrown into the sea" - Eric Cantona

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 07 Oct 2004 22:45:08 GMT

>But i dont understand the point of the story.
>
>Gwen's been dead for a NUMBER of years, why was there this need to
>desecrate her memory?

I guess I just don't see it as a desecration.  I like the character a lot.  For
me, this just makes her a stronger person.  But opinions can differ.