[B5JMS] Where is JMS? In the past he defended Sins Past

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Oct 12 03:24:19 EDT 2004

From: tyg at panix.com (Tom Galloway)
Date: 11 Oct 2004 02:31:28 -0400

In article <20041010202020.08576.00002166 at mb-m07.aol.com>,
Jms at B5 <jmsatb5 at aol.com> wrote:
>BTW...an aside to those who suggest that MJ could never keep a secret like this
>from Peter...bear in mind that for years she kept the secret that Peter was
>Spider-Man from *her mother-in-law*, Peter's mother, who you would think would
>have one hell of a right to know.  One can now argue the reasons for keeping
>the secret, but the fact is that she *kept* it.  From someone she loves.

I'm assuming you mean May here, since MJ never, to our knowledge, met
Peter's birth mother. But this does make me realize something odd about
Peter. In the two decades or so (and 40 years of comics stories) that May
has been the parental figure in his life and one of the two who raised him
from pre-teen/post-toddler childhood, I can't recall a single time he's
ever even tried to address her as "Mom" or even said something like "You do
know that you're also my mother". He's often thanked her for raising him,
but never gone all the way to acknowledging the effective adoptive mother/son
relationship.

tyg   tyg at panix.com

--
--Yes, the .sig has changed

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 11 Oct 2004 07:34:29 GMT

>I'm assuming you mean May here, since MJ never, to our knowledge, met
>Peter's birth mother.

Yeah, I did, I'm an idiot.

>But this does make me realize something odd about
>Peter. In the two decades or so (and 40 years of comics stories) that May
>has been the parental figure in his life and one of the two who raised him
>from pre-teen/post-toddler childhood, I can't recall a single time he's
>ever even tried to address her as "Mom" or even said something like "You do
>know that you're also my mother". He's often thanked her for raising him,
>but never gone all the way to acknowledging the effective adoptive mother/son
>relationship.

Hmm...good point....