[B5JMS] JMS Interview at fanboyplanet.

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Oct 22 03:23:01 EDT 2004

From: tyg at panix.com (Tom Galloway)
Date: 21 Oct 2004 04:49:47 -0400

In article <20041021035619.18077.00005625 at mb-m03.aol.com>,
Jms at B5 <jmsatb5 at aol.com> wrote:
>1) Anybody who wants the full story of any discussion can go to google and get
>it, it's not like they disappear into the ether.
>
>2) For something like the archive, you would need to get the permission of
>*every other person who posts* to incorporate their material, since all public
>messages are the copyrighted property of the person who posted them (not many
>know this part of internet law) and may not be used without permission in any
>other forum or venue.

The copyright bit's correct, but the extension/exception should be
mentioned, since you effectively brought that up. Namely, how can Google, or
previously DejaNews which was the initial source of much of the current
Google archive, exist under point 2)? The theory, as I understand it, is
that since by definition the act of posting to Usenet causes copies to be
made on all machines hooked up to Usenet that receive the post, there's
implicit permission granted by choosing to post an article for Usenet sites
to have their copies. And the Google archive is a Usenet site (complete with
posting abilities)...with an extremely long expire time on its article cache
dating back to May 1981.

It's when you take it off Usenet that you've got problems.

tyg   tyg at Panix.com

--
--Yes, the .sig has changed

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 21 Oct 2004 09:30:53 GMT

>The copyright bit's correct, but the extension/exception should be
>mentioned, since you effectively brought that up. Namely, how can Google, or
>previously DejaNews which was the initial source of much of the current
>Google archive, exist under point 2)? The theory, as I understand it, is
>that since by definition the act of posting to Usenet causes copies to be
>made on all machines hooked up to Usenet that receive the post, there's
>implicit permission granted by choosing to post an article for Usenet sites
>to have their copies. And the Google archive is a Usenet site (complete with
>posting abilities)...with an extremely long expire time on its article cache
>dating back to May 1981.
>
>It's when you take it off Usenet that you've got problems.

Exactly...and the jmsnews pieces are stored off usenet proper on a server of
its own, all gathered in one place, as opposed to Google, which browses through
all that's out there.  The jmsnews segments/archives aren't google'd, you have
to go in onto the server where they've been placed/moved to access them.