JMS on CompuServe (Dec 23-26, 1995) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Dec 27 06:57:44 EST 1995

From: brent.barrett at 24stex.com (Brent Barrett)

*: 420762 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Dec-95  13:17:27
Sb: #420522-#The Encounter (UK Con)
Fm: Anne L. Warner 71513,1177
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Joe,

Re the cat more than 8 inches across...  Siddharta, my sedentary, B5 addicted
18 pound kitty, resembles that remark!  When she nails the blankets down, Greg
and I just have to accomodate her.  <g>

Anne

*: 420811 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Dec-95  16:09:52
Sb: #420762-#The Encounter (UK Con)
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Anne L. Warner 71513,1177 (X)

      An 18 pound kitty is no longer a kitty; it is a geological landmark.

                                                                       jms

*: 421024 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  10:17:09
Sb: #G'kar/Cassandra
Fm: Chris Gardiner 100701,3353
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Hi Joe,

  I recently read an old Usenet message of yours which mentioned that G'Kar was
your Cassandra character, and there were some parallels between her history and
the G'kar's future.

  I've just done some research, and found out in who's service Cassandra ends
up (and what *sort* of service...).

  From the bottom of my heart, and with the deepest sincerity and respect...

  You're twisted.

  Twisted, twisted, twisted.

  More twisted than a greased snake on a buttered Twister board.

  And I love you forever.

* Christopher H. Gardiner : Conceivably sentient, spatially existant,  *
*         and temporally continuous, all to better serve YOU!          *

P.S. I also have to thank you for intriducing me to Twain and Tennyson.

     <clears throat>

     Thank you.

*: 421133 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  16:08:07
Sb: #421024-G'kar/Cassandra
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Chris Gardiner 100701,3353

     Thank you.  That's m'job.

                                                                       jms

*: 421036 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  11:20:49
Sb: #420522-#The Encounter (UK Con)
Fm: Ruth Ballam 100412,3457
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

<< Does the bed come complete with cat, or is cat considered extra in the UK?

I'm sure I could bring my three (all of whom are still small), but since the
convention is in June I'm not sure that you'll need any sort of foot warmer.
Besides, you'd just end up with nibbled toes.

BTW, would you like a copy of "A Close Shave" ?

Ruth

*: 421134 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  16:08:07
Sb: #421036-#The Encounter (UK Con)
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Ruth Ballam 100412,3457 (X)

     Well, suffice to say I'd love to see "A Close Shave."  But at the same
time, I have to be mindful of copyrights and the like.  So, basically, I
suppose I'm screwed....

                                                                       jms

*: 420977 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  08:13:24
Sb: #B5Convention
Fm: John Bonavita 73717,3652
To: All

All-  Will there ever be a "Official B5" Convention?  If so I would like to
know when and where so that my friends and I can make plans.

John

*: 421136 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  16:14:47
Sb: #420977-#B5Convention
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: John Bonavita 73717,3652

     Now that the fan club has been officially announced, though the
organizational aspects are just now starting, we may try and gear up to hold an
official B5 convention in about a year.  What we've talked about is the idea of
having it here in LA, so we could have best chance of getting as many cast
members as possible.  We'd also try and run it so that it was as close as
possible to a fan-run convention in the feeling it created; and as well as cast
members and the like, there would be seminars and presentations by our people
in prosthetics, wardrobe, makeup, art direction, props and other areas, so it'd
be a real learning opportunity.

     But, again, that's at least a year down the road.

                                                                       jms

*: 421108 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  14:49:06
Sb: #New to B5
Fm: Theo Thourson 73214,2131
To: All

Is there an FAQ in the library here that will explain to me the story so far
and who all the characters are and what they're history is?  I'm trying to get
into the show, but I'm a little lost.

Thanks,
Theo

*: 421137 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  16:14:48
Sb: #421108-#New to B5
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Theo Thourson 73214,2131 (X)

     Actually, what you'll generally find is that if you watch a few more eps,
the background is usually included.  Besides, in the next batch of new
episodes, we kind of redefine the very nature of the series, so in a way this
is the best time to come aboard.

                                                                       jms

*: 421139 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  16:15:57
Sb: #Publicity! Wow!
Fm: Anne L. Warner 71513,1177
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Joe,

Merry Christmas.

I've noticed something new and different.  Here in New England, both WSBK
(Boston) and WNDS (Derry, NH) seem to have decided to try actually promoting
Babylon 5.  Last night I saw two B5 spots on WNDS between 8 and 10 PM. Tonight,
SBK put a spot for B5 just before ST:Voyager.  In the course of the weekend,
I've seen several spots of a new and different type.  Real teasers along the
line of "Who are the traitors?  Check B5 to find out."  That's not an accurate
transcription, it's just the general sort of voiceover on a bunch of quick cuts
from the tail end of season 2 and the beginning of season 3. I'm pretty sure
the new and different spots were on SBK out of Boston, only.

Anyway, I wanted to give you a status report, since this seems to be a change,
and a change for the better.  Actually, I rather hope you take Christmas off,
and see this Tuesday night.  <g>

Greg and I wish you and Kathryn (is that the way she spells it?) and all the
Babylon 5 cast and crew a happy holiday season and a blessed and prosperous New
Year.

Anne

*: 421205 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  20:42:29
Sb: #421139-#Publicity! Wow!
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Anne L. Warner 71513,1177 (X)

     Thanks; that's good to know, and definitely a welcome change.

                                                                       jms

*: 421175 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  17:23:05
Sb: #421136-#B5Convention
Fm: The Jawa / Jawa #2 76371,3057
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

>>But, again, that's at least a year down the road.

        A YEAR??!
        Brother, hold out for six months after that and you could have the con
as a series-ender!
        I don't mean to whine after you finally got the go-ahead from the
"infinitely wise" people who are in charge of the fan club paperwork, but what
are they THINKING?
        ARE they thinking?
        B5 is heading in Trek's direction: very low-key while it's on the air,
and then comes it's fame.
        (It's just better, that's all.)
        Thanks for putting up with the people running the networks and
such--because few of us here could.

                  The Jawa
                  Kidism Patrol
                  9:09 PM,  Sunday, December 24, 1995
                  "Could you bring me back
                  one of those little Eiffel
                  Tower paperweights?"

*: 421206 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  20:42:31
Sb: #421175-#B5Convention
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: The Jawa / Jawa #2 76371,3057 (X)

     That's the key, I think; I have a suspicion that, like the original ST,
our main attention will likely come after we've finished our complete run. The
show was designed to be seen in a stripped (once daily) fashion, that's when
you really can see the arc moving quickly.  And on TNT, once it hits that
distributer, it'll finally have what it has never had before in this country: a
national broadcaster and a regular timeslot.  Once that happens, I expect that
what happened in the UK will happen here finally...it'll be Noticed.

                                                                       jms

*: 421187 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  18:51:37
Sb: #421136-#B5Convention
Fm: Carl BUSSJAEGER 102065,1635
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

 > Now that the fan club has been officially announced...

   It _has_ been officially announced finally? Great; now how do we join?
   (Gotta get those B5 tapes somehow <g>)

      Carl
      K.P.A.

*: 421207 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  20:42:33
Sb: #421187-#B5Convention
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Carl BUSSJAEGER 102065,1635 (X)

     As soon as those details have been worked out, we'll post them.  As it is
we just *barely* got the paperwork in hand authorizing us to proceed; now comes
doing it.

                                                                       jms

*: 421191 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  18:57:38
Sb: #421136-#B5Convention
Fm: Susan Law 103364,1524
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

You said:
 >>Now that the fan club has been officially announced, though the
organizational >>aspects are just now starting,...

I missed the announcement - can one join yet??  If so how??

And since I'm writing you, thanks for the best damn show on TV.

Talia was my favorite character and I was pissed (can I say that on CIS?) when
she got ... altered and sent home.  I decided not to watch any more, and then
.... well I watched The Fall of Night  --  that did it.  How could I not watch
this show!

*: 421208 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  20:42:35
Sb: #421191-B5Convention
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Susan Law 103364,1524 (X)

     The details should be posted sometime after the first part of the year.
Re: Talia...it's okay to be pissed about that; it was intended to have that
reaction.  Things *should* get us annoyed when Psi Corps pulls a stunt like
that.  And we haven't heard the last of what happened to Talia, btw.  That's
the B5 universe for you....

                                                                       jms

*: 421232 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Dec-95  22:24:12
Sb: #421207-#B5Convention
Fm: Burhaan  Ahmad 75754,3065
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

 >> As soon as those details have been worked out, we'll post them.  As it is
we just *barely* got the paperwork in hand authorizing us to proceed; now comes
doing it. <<

 If you don't mind yet another tape question:  You said you would like to make
the tapes yourself, since WB obviously won't.  Does Babylonian have the
resources to pull it off to the quality you desire?  I know little about the
industry, but it seems to me that it would be an expensive operation.  Or would
you look to lisence the rights to someone other than WB (assuming they'd allow
it)?

 -ba-  ^^^^
 Merry Xrmes, and to all gun owners, please don't shoot Santa.
 He's *allowed* to break-and-enter.

*: 421255 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Dec-95  00:27:56
Sb: #421232-#B5Convention
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Burhaan  Ahmad 75754,3065 (X)

     That's something we're trying to decide now.  If we did them ourselves,
it'd almost certainly be on a limited-edition basis, to control quality.

                                                                       jms

*: 421258 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Dec-95  01:09:20
Sb: #<Zack in CoS>
Fm: Jon Wolf 76103,2541
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

  I just re-watched Coming of Shadows, and I think we got our introduction to
Zack in this show. First, he makes a brief appearance to usher the Ranger into
Garibaldi's office. Monents later, G'Kar learns that a Narn colony with 250,000
people has been destroyed, and he goes berserk in the corridor. Through his
link, Garibaldi receives a call for more help from Zack.
  Cut to the corridor. G'Kar picks up Zack and slams him into the floor, where
he lies, still and stunned.
  Should this rather ignominious introduction be filed under Signs and Portents?

Jon

*: 421572 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Dec-95  03:54:35
Sb: #421258-<Zack in CoS>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Jon Wolf 76103,2541

     I'm not sure though that that's the first time we saw Zack; I keep
thinking it was earlier...I seem to remember him breaking up a fight as the
first time we saw him.

                                                                       jms

*: 421455 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Dec-95  18:01:21
Sb: #421136-#B5Convention
Fm: Asha DeVelder 76703,4322
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Joe,

   Did I miss the fan club announcement?  I REALLY want to join!!

   As for the Convention, L.A. sounds absolutely WONDERFUL (only 10 hours drive
from here)!!

   What a wonderful Xmas present (Fanclub and Convention!) Thanks!

..and yes, I know it'll be at least a year, but I can't imagine I'd loose
interest between now and then...

   Hope your Xmas was glorious and that your New Years is even better! :)

                         Asha
                     @}-`---,---

*: 421573 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Dec-95  03:54:37
Sb: #421455-B5Convention
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Asha DeVelder 76703,4322

     We'll have more info on all this over the next few weeks....

                                                                       jms

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *