JMS on CompuServe (Nov 25 - Nov 29)

b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Nov 30 16:37:32 EST 1995

Forwarded message to B5JMS list.
Originally From: brent.barrett at 24stex.com (Brent Barrett)

 NOTE: I'm posting for our regular compiler while he's off on a week's vacation.

 I'm not sure if anyone posted this batch of messages, so I'm posting them at
this time.

    25-Nov-95  05:07:07
Sb: #404351-Pilot Episode
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: David Schirmer 76774,3310 (X)

     Londo does not specify Sinclair in his dialogue; that's the picture at
that moment, but that doesn't lock us into it.

     A full explanation for what happened and why is uploaded in the library
here; do a search in lib 5, I think, for Sinclair, and you'll find it. (Rather
than recap the whole thing again here.)

    25-Nov-95  05:07:08
Sb: #404365-#B5 Blueprints/Models?
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Chad Underkoffler 102512,1310 (X)

     Rage needs rest.  Rest, Rage, rest.

    25-Nov-95  05:07:08
Sb: #404366-#Rage's Thots: Rangers?
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Chad Underkoffler 102512,1310 (X)

     No, the Drazi was not a Ranger, only a supporter/collaborator (if I can
use, or misuse that term.)

     At this stage, the Rangers are exclusively either human or minbari.

    25-Nov-95  05:07:11
Sb: #404413-#B5 at LosCon
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Larry Rosenblum 72122,1555 (X)

      No standing invitations to the area, but we'll see....

    25-Nov-95  10:08:04
Sb: #403072-#B5: Dear Joe
Fm: Rick Sharon 76416,2213
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Joe,

re: Stathis

I appreciate your correcting Peter Statis' message(s), I'm just sorry you had
to spend so much time doing so (based on the length of your post).

Here's a "canned" reply that might save you a bunch of effort next time:

  re: everything you said

  B.S.

Or, if you want to be a "nice guy":

  re: everything you said

  B.S.  Have a nice day.

<grin>  Hope the above will save you some time so you can get back to the more
important producing/writing things you do.  Perhaps you could hook it to a
"twit replier" (a sort of modified "twit filter" that says respond to anything
from that person with this reply).

-- Rick Sharon

#: 404763 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Nov-95  23:01:18
Sb: #404483-#B5: Dear Joe
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Rick Sharon 76416,2213 (X)

     BTW, you'll notice that young master stathis took a powder after dropping
his offensive message here, so he wouldn't have to deal with any of the

#: 404542 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    25-Nov-95  13:49:50
Sb: #$0.04: <A Day in Strife>
Fm: The Jawa / Jawa #2 76371,3057
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

        Oh good!
        We like Vir!
        Clarification: How much time is missing from Sinclair's memory?
        Sometimes it seems like I hear 1 hour; other times, 24.
        Which is it?
                                The Jawa
                                Kidism Patrol
                                "Micronians think too much!"

#: 404765 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    25-Nov-95  23:01:23
Sb: #404542-#$0.04: <A Day in Strife>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: The Jawa / Jawa #2 76371,3057 (X)

     It was 24 hours.

    25-Nov-95  14:07:27
Sb: #B5 Magazine
Fm: The Jawa / Jawa #2 76371,3057
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

        <Still LOL>
        Joe, you work with people like Jerry Doyle and Claudia Christian *every
day* and still maintain remnants of sanity?
        I admire that.
        I just got done reading their interviews in the B5 Magazine and I
enjoyed it very much.
        I finally got to see a picture of you...and yes, you *are* quite tall
<G>.
        Will this be a semi-regular magazine, at least, or is this a wonderful
but isolated incident?
                             The Jawa
                                Kidism Patrol
                                "Micronians think too much!"

#: 404766 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Nov-95  23:01:25
Sb: #404554-#B5 Magazine
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: The Jawa / Jawa #2 76371,3057 (X)

      It's my understanding that there will be more issues, yes.

    25-Nov-95  15:35:42
Sb: #Question for JMS
Fm: Tapio K. Fransen 100731,1675
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

>> That's when the story ends.  You tell your tale and get off the stage.<<

Thats right, but...

You tell ONE tale and get off stage, and com on stage again to tell ANOTHER <g>
great tale.

Is this something we can expect? Is there a live for you after the *end*? I
mean, will there be a new SF-show we can enjoy? (Could be your setting up or
even finished an other tale.)

I sure hope so! :-)

        --(TKF)--

        "Well, well. Looks like the pain is real for both of us."
        - Commander Jeffrey Sinclair, "And the sky full of stars"

        The Protector of Amsterdam
        Section G1, block 2, level 4 security
        17:48 pm, saturday 26 november 1995, Amsterdam, Holland

#: 404767 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Nov-95  23:01:26
Sb: #404574-#Question for JMS
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Tapio K. Fransen 100731,1675 (X)

      Dunno...the plan for now, if B5 runs its full five years, is to get out
of TV and go back to novels and plays.  We'll see....

                                                                       jms

#: 404614 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    25-Nov-95  16:35:24
Sb: #<A Day In The Strife>
Fm: Sharon Foster 76360,301
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Just saw <A Day in The Strife> for the first time.  There's never a dull moment
on B5, is there?  The tension was so think you could cut it with a knife ...
speaking of which
 ... I truly jumped out of my chair when Ta'Lon cut his own hand with his
sword.  That one scene should be good for a nightmare or two.  From the delight
of learning who he was, to that last scene of his -- what a rollercoaster.

 G'Kar looks like hell.  He must have "lost" about fifty pounds in the last
couple of months.

 <lots of questions ahead for which I expect no answers at this time ... >

 Garibaldi tells Ivanova that if anyone can get them through this, it's
Sheridan.  Is he being set up to be another Talia, to get yanked out from under
us, or do you really mean it this time?  Only time will tell.

 Londo told Vir he had a appointment to go to.  Londo had an appointment last
week, too.  What's Londo up to now? What "business" will he and Vir get
together to do from time to time?  Is he sending Vir to Minbar to keep him out
of harms' way, or does he have another purpose?

 More questions, more questions.  I never want it to end.

 BTW, I keep meaning to mention -- I love the "intermission" bit with the red
nebula, the word "Babylon", and the black "5" that shimmers into place like a
Shadow ship.  Along with the music, it produces a nice sense of foreboding.

 ------------------------------------
 "Well, it is an imperfect universe."

#: 404768 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    25-Nov-95  23:01:30
Sb: #404614-#<A Day In The Strife>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Sharon Foster 76360,301 (X)

     Thanks.  And for "pulling a Talia" on Sheridan, that's one of the major
benefits in *doing* the Talia thing to begin with; it makes it very difficult
to sit back and accept that any character is going to be the key out of this
story.

     Agree on the new bumper; and the 5 fades in like a shadow vessel, making
it even more ominous.

    25-Nov-95  17:20:18
Sb: #Explosive Decompression
Fm: William H. DiPaola 76521,1751
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Joe,

        One thing disturbed me in the episode in which the WhiteStar is
introduced. Sheridan makes mention upon first boarding the Minbari ship that
they have managed to attain gravity, something that "our ships" cannot do
without the benefit of rotation. However(and please forgive me, I really don't
keep track of titles), we saw an episode early last season where a Starship
gets lost in hyperspace, and the crew of that ship clearly had gravity without
benefit of rotation. Was this something that was simply overlooked, or did I
miss something in the latter episode that I just alluded to?

#: 404769 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Nov-95  23:01:31
Sb: #404637-#Explosive Decompression
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: William H. DiPaola 76521,1751 (X)

     That was the Cortex, and yes, it rotated to create its gravity, as you can
see quite clearly in the episode.

    25-Nov-95  21:17:55
Sb: #Cap'n Power
Fm: Rae Augenstein 72752,1653
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

I found an ep of Captain Power at Wal-Mart for $2.00. Should I buy it? I don't
remember exactly which episode it was.

        Rae ^^^^

#: 404770 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Nov-95  23:01:35
Sb: #404716-Cap'n Power
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Rae Augenstein 72752,1653 (X)

      Well, either buy it or burn it....

    26-Nov-95  03:50:23
Sb: #404769-#Explosive Decompression
Fm: William H. DiPaola 76521,1751
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

>> That was the Cortex, and yes, it rotated to create its gravity, as you can
see quite clearly in the episode. <<

        Thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't doubt your word, but for
some reason I just didn't recall seeing a section of that ship rotate.

#: 404883 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Nov-95  05:07:24
Sb: #404866-#Explosive Decompression
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: William H. DiPaola 76521,1751 (X)

      Look at the big, round section in the middle of the Cortez, that's the
part that rotates.

    26-Nov-95  05:34:04
Sb: #404767-#Question for JMS
Fm: Michael "GANDALF" Kalus 100265,3065
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

 >       Dunno...the plan for now, if B5 runs its full five years, is
 > to get out of TV and go back to novels and plays.  We'll see....

So NO Silver Screen Ambitions?

Besides, what do you think about the end of SeaQuest? And how good are your
quotes (if this is the correct word for it)?

Michael "GANDALF" Kalus 11:12 26-Nov-95

#: 405279 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Nov-95  22:23:13
Sb: #404889-#Question for JMS
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Michael "GANDALF" Kalus 100265,3065 (X)

      Nope, no real interest in doing movies; it's really a director's medium,
so I prefer either television or print, which is a writer's medium.

      What do I think about the end of SeaQuest?  Well, it was kind of
inevitable, wasn't it?  If they had left it alone, in the hands of the people
who first created it, like Rockne O'Bannon, and quit pulling on it in every
possible direction, it could've been okay.  Instead, the Suits got involved,
and when the Suits get involved...you're dead.

      "How good are your quotes?"  Don't know what this means.

    26-Nov-95  10:05:30
Sb: #John J.?
Fm: Anne L. Warner 71513,1177
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Joe,

I've been puzzling in my mind ever since "And Now for a Word," what is John
Sheridan's middle name?  Now that I have what I consider a satisfactory
suggestion, I'll ask you.  What does the middle "J" stand for?  It was in the
ISN name system, but I've never seen it before or since.

I think we may finally have interested our SF fan friends in B5.  They saw some
of the very early stuff, and didn't care for it.  Now they feel that getting
into the story may take too much time (they could be right <g>) so they avoid
it.  We gave them the important parts of the back story over Thanksgiving
turkey, and they were intrigued.  Then they mentioned how much they missed
"Space Rangers!"  Was I startled!!  I said, "but Joe wrote that one, too.  If
you liked it, you would probably like B5."  I think now they will really check
it out.

"Convictions" was great.  Whoever said that the best scenes are in elevators
had a good point.  We see "A Day in the Strife" tonight.  I'm really looking
forward to it.

Anne

#: 405280 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Nov-95  22:23:17
Sb: #404923-#John J.?
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Anne L. Warner 71513,1177

     Eek!   I had nothing to do with "Space Rangers," feh, feh, a pox, no. We
went on with our pilots in similar periods, but no, I ain't had nothin' to do
with that one ever.

     I have two options of what the J stands for; still trying to decide
between historical reference and personal satisfaction.

    26-Nov-95  12:32:39
Sb: #403072-#B5: Dear Joe
Fm: peter  stathis 102477,3046
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

I am just asking some questions, or trying to get some clear answers. I am not
being foolish in asking these questions. You got some people who chatter
mindlessly about nothing. This all started when someone stated that B5 was in
trouble in New York, which according to some who works for WWOR said to be in
person that B5 is not doing as good as they had hoped. The question raised was
if B5 were to be cancelled ( Heaven forbid) in New York what would be the fate
of the show? Some people in other cities ask the same question. I see the
ratings listed in Variety, and its not in the top twenty, it hasn't been for
almost a year. So no need to get testy, rude or whatever. Either answer in a
polite way, or don't answer at all. By the way I hope you had a nice
Thanksgiving.

#: 405281 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Nov-95  22:23:18
Sb: #404974-#B5: Dear Joe
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: peter  stathis 102477,3046

     "Either answer in a polite way, or don't answer at all."

     Peter, you came in here and started acting like a jerk.  Everyone here
feels exactly the same way about your behavior.  I don't have to be polite if
you're acting like a jerk; neither does anyone else here.  Around here, you get
what you give; if you are polite, and respectful, others will treat you the
same way.  If you come in here, guns blazing, acting like a ditz, then people
are gonna call you a ditz.  Polite ain't got nothin' to do with it.  Take a
little personal responsibility for your behavior.

                                                                       jms

#: 405198 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-Nov-95  19:45:33
Sb: #<Gesthemene>
Fm: David E. McCloud 102441,2371
To: J.Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Of the many excellent episodes you've written, this one's the best so far. It
left me thinking over its themes long after the show had ended.  The moral and
ethical dilemas that have confronted the characters and their responses to them
have made this series special.

#: 405283 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-Nov-95  22:23:25
Sb: #405198-#<Gesthemene>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: David E. McCloud 102441,2371

     Thanks.  That's really the intent; to get people to talk about the issues
raised, and to examine the issues.  We won't tell you what to think about an
issue, because I don't have an answer myself...but if it made you stop and
consider this stuff, and decide for yourself where you fall in the discussion,
then it's done its job.

    26-Nov-95  22:35:28
Sb: #404766-#B5 Magazine
Fm: Z. Michael Milutinovic 71532,2231
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

I'm just jumping in here, have been away for awhile, but are you saying that
there is a B5 Magazine out?  Who publishes it, how long has it been out?  Does
anyone else out thier in the Toronto Area know who has it in stock?

Thanks
Z. Michael Milutinovic

#: 405345 S5/Babylon 5: General
    27-Nov-95  00:41:24
Sb: #405288-#B5 Magazine
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Z. Michael Milutinovic 71532,2231

      It's from Sendai; ask your local bookstore to order it.

    26-Nov-95  23:43:12
Sb: #405280-#John J.?
Fm: randall s. cavanaug 102134,760
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

well...is there and internet address that cast members can be written to?
   well...there are more that a couple of fans who would like to drop a line to
the actress Ivanova....thanks

#: 405346 S5/Babylon 5: General
    27-Nov-95  00:41:25
Sb: #405328-#John J.?
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: randall s. cavanaug 102134,760 (X)

     No, no cast email addresses.

                                                                       jms

#: 405331 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-Nov-95  23:45:37
Sb: #Synopses/ Transcriptions
Fm: Mike Fitzpatrick 73562,3437
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Dear Joe,

    I know we fans sometimes step over the line in our enthusiasm for
discussing Babylon 5 here (posting story ideas, etc.),  and Karen Bahnsen
brought up a worrying point to me.  I don't know whether you've seen any of
them,  but I've been posting extremely detailed synopses from the 3rd season
episodes here for the benefit of the European fans.  So detailed, in fact, that
some have said they could almost be called transcriptions, and therein lies the
rub.  Karen pointed out to me today that there would be copyright issues to
consider with a transcription, a thought that honestly never occurred to me
before.
    Whether or not these posts are actually transcriptions isn't important to
me, since I don't care to rely on legalisms;  what *is* important is that I
would be aghast to find I did something with your work that you find
disagreeable in *any* way.  Is what I'm doing OK with you?  If it's not a
problem in the message area,  would it be alright to make the posts a permanent
addition to the library?  If you have any objection whatsoever, I'll
discontinue the practice immediately and delete whatever's left in the message
base, and I apologize.  And if you wish to to take a cut with your Louisville
Slugger, I promise not to jump <g>.

Regards,
-Mike

#: 405347 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    27-Nov-95  00:41:26
Sb: #405331-#Synopses/ Transcriptions
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Mike Fitzpatrick 73562,3437 (X)

      I do think that sometimes the synopses get *too* detailed, and where they
transcribe verbatim dialogue, are, I think, legally problematic, yes.

                                                                       jms

#: 405367 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    27-Nov-95  01:12:00
Sb: #<ADitS> Choices
Fm: Elyse M. Grasso 70302,3304
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

I've watched 'A Day in the Strife' 6 or 7 times since it was first shown in
this market at 1pm yesterday... VERY nicely done.

Even more than usual, this story was about making choices and about control and
intimidation, and the Narn story and the C&C story echo each other in strange
and subtle ways in showing responses to the carrot and stick. The other
subplots and incidents work other aspects of the theme very nicely: Londo
insists on controlling the Narn, and Vir's fate, Franklin is controlled by the
stims and Vir has a promotion inflicted upon him, as well as the individual and
group problems in the Transport Association meeting.

I liked the fact that Sheridan used the probe's own programming to destroy it,
instead of B5's weapons.

I also liked the echoes of past episodes:

In the Narn plot, Na'Far gives G'Kar the same challenge the Inquisitor posed to
Delenn, almost in the same words, and G'Kar's willingness to go home to die
rather than become a cause of division among his people suggests that he is the
right person in the right place. It's refreshing that the other Narns
recognized that.

And Londo's comment "It's nothing personal, Vir" after his appalling
conversation with Na'Far brought chills with its echo of the bomber's speech
last episode. As well as its obvious falseness: it was clear that Londo loved
making Na'Far squirm...

I look forward to seeing more of Corwin and Ta'Lon (and even Na'Far) as the
season progresses.

Good stuff.

Elyse

#: 405474 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    27-Nov-95  05:55:42
Sb: #405367-<ADitS> Choices
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Elyse M. Grasso 70302,3304 (X)

     Thanks.  Yeah, "it's nothing personal" does echo the other theme; those
who inflict great harm tend to shrug it off that way.

    27-Nov-95  01:36:24
Sb: #403993-#DL Query
Fm: Philip Hornsey 74053,2101
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

How about the gun control situation on Earth. Let's say the conspiracy (bad
one) gets spooked and has to move to fast, they get *real* bad press and you
start to see some civil uprising, or, the word gets out on Pres. Clark and is
believed. Could the people effectivly stop a military dictatorship from
forming?

I knows weapons are strictly controled on B5 (reasonable on a military base),
but I get the impression that people are *use* to owning weapons (the
objections raised in the transport meeting).

One last thing, you said the EA was pretty easy going, does that mean that the
solid core of the EA (the US and Canada and British holdings) simply haven't
known dictatorship in *484 years* (and only if you count the British attitude
toward America a dictatorship). If so, they are gonna have a hard time seeing
it coming.

#: 405475 S5/Babylon 5: General
    27-Nov-95  05:55:43
Sb: #405380-#DL Query
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Philip Hornsey 74053,2101 (X)

      I'd like to not reply, as this is encroaching seriously into story
territory.

    27-Nov-95  05:55:45
Sb: #Synopsis Query
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: All

      Fast question...I seem to recall seeing some synopses that began with a
telling quote from the episode, then a 1-paragraph summation, followed by cast.
Does this ring a bell with anybody else?

    27-Nov-95  06:01:03
Sb: #405390-Rage's Thots:USENET Rant
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Karen E. Bahnsen 102735,3557 (X)

      Keep that up and you're going to turn my head...in this case, as far as
Linda Blair's in the Exorcist....

    27-Nov-95  06:07:19
Sb: #405279-#Question for JMS
Fm: Michael "GANDALF" Kalus 100265,3065
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

 >       "How good are your quotes?"  Don't know what this means.

How many people are usually seeing your show in the States :)

Btw, and if you know in germany?

To the end of Seaquest... I must say I liked the FIRST Season MUCH more then
the second one (even with we are only at the beginning). I sometimes hate it if
good conecpts are going to be dead because of a few people complaining about it
:(

About B5, in a german magazine I read that Commander Sinclair was "canceled"
because of bad responses from the viewers. Is this true? Or was this planned in
the plot of B5 (which I really hope)?

Michael "GANDALF" Kalus 12:04 27-Nov-95

#: 405770 S5/Babylon 5: General
    27-Nov-95  17:23:28
Sb: #405478-#Question for JMS
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Michael "GANDALF" Kalus 100265,3065 (X)

      Ah...what you call quotes we call ratings, and they have been very good.

      Viewer response really had zip to do with the Sinclair situation; you can
find a detailed explanation in library 5 here.

    27-Nov-95  13:11:18
Sb: #Rage's Thots: Manifesto
Fm: Chad Underkoffler 102512,1310
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Hey Joe...

Is Harlan's Manifesto on SF shows available, or is it an ancient Vorlon secret?

I'd *love* a copy, being a pseudo-writer boy myself.

Rage
Ranger of Washingdome
"Welcome, my son.  Welcome to the MAchine." --- Draal

#: 405771 S5/Babylon 5: General
    27-Nov-95  17:23:29
Sb: #405622-Rage's Thots: Manifesto
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Chad Underkoffler 102512,1310 (X)

      No, it's not currently available.

    27-Nov-95  13:18:25
Sb: #405476-#Synopsis Query
Fm: Richard P. Manny 70762,141
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

<<Fast question...I seem to recall seeing some synopses that began with a
telling quote from the episode, then a 1-paragraph summation, followed by cast.
Does this ring a bell with anybody else?>>

Are you thinking of the stuff at Hyperion.Com (The Lurkers' guide...)?

Richard

#: 405772 S5/Babylon 5: General
    27-Nov-95  17:23:30
Sb: #405630-#Synopsis Query
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Richard P. Manny 70762,141 (X)

     No, I checked, and it ain't the Hyperion guide; it's something else I've
seen, and I just can't put my finger on it.

    27-Nov-95  16:24:59
Sb: #DL Query
Fm: Alan Katz 74260,3612
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

<<  And the Corps wouldn't allow her to be just shipped off.  Pluse, she's
still a citizen with all the rights attendent upon that >>

Actually, I wasn't expecting them to "ship her off" within a legal framework.
I thought, however, there would be some sentiment for making her disappear due
to what she knows (for instance about B5 command personnel thwarting Psi Corps
attempt to stop the underground railroad).   Her walking around loose would
make a conspirator uneasy.  Absent a mindwipe, physical removal seemed
appropriate.  And as you note, in war time, things happen that would not be
countenanced in peace time.  And rumor has it, there's a war going on in your
nifty little universe.

#: 405773 S5/Babylon 5: General
    27-Nov-95  17:23:33
Sb: #405742-#DL Query
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Alan Katz 74260,3612 (X)

      Oh, to be sure, they'd have preferred to have Talia accidentally fall out
an airlock rather than turn her over to the Corps...but that's cold blooded
murder, and if they go that route, then there's no difference between them and
their opposite number.

    27-Nov-95  18:30:52
Sb: #<ADitS> Probe Query
Fm: Wendy Shaffer 71201,2200
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Is a 500,000 megaton explosion enough to devastate a *planet*, as opposed to a
*station*?  If so, how?  (The direct blast effects would be continental at
most, if my back-of-the-envelope calculations are correct.)

(If not, then why send a berserker that can't take out a homeworld?)

Thanks!

 Wendy Shaffer
 71201,2200

#: 406058 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Nov-95  00:17:48
Sb: #405810-#<ADitS> Probe Query
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Wendy Shaffer 71201,2200 (X)

     No, it probably couldn't take out a planet, though it'd sure disrupt all
communications in and out for a long time, maybe throw up a dust curtain to
bring down the temperature quite a bit.  Certainly it'd debilitate the planet
long enough for additional probes to be sent in.  If one can do the job, one
does the job; if more are required, more are sent.

    27-Nov-95  23:10:03
Sb: #405279-#Question for JMS
Fm: Charles S. Tritt 70254,131
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Rockne O'Bannon is one of the few writters that I rember from the new Twilight
Zone.  What is he doing now and is there any chance he'll write some episodes
for B-5?

#: 406059 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Nov-95  00:17:49
Sb: #406016-Question for JMS
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Charles S. Tritt 70254,131 (X)

      Don't know what Rock's doing these days.

                                                                       jms

#: 406267 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    28-Nov-95  11:51:10
Sb: #<PTG>
Fm: Philip Hornsey 74053,2101
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Just saw it.

Oh Boy.

Joe, that was amazing. I don't know if it will hit others the way it hit me but
god that was intense. I'd put PTG up against Believers, CoS and CtI for pure
dramatic content.

I would love to ask about a million questions regarding what could be done with
mindwipes, given that they create funtional people that most people like, but
that would rapidly move into the arena of "What if so and so did this?" and I
don't want to screw anything up.

I am not even going to ask about that last scene with Kosh and Lyta. Were I you
I might consider asking folks not to talk about that for the remainder of the
week. I saw it just as you had intended it to be seen (expecting nothing) and
had to pry myself off the ceiling.

Do you know how hard it is to induce *horror* across TV...eek...

That episode really creeped me out.

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

#: 406619 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    28-Nov-95  21:08:00
Sb: #406267-#<PTG>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Philip Hornsey 74053,2101 (X)

      So, in essence, you liked it, then...?

      Re: Lyta...(evil smile)....

                                                                       jms

#: 406404 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    28-Nov-95  15:16:22
Sb: #Vichy Narn?
Fm: Fitz Bushnell 76435,165
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

        The events in the show that have analogies in history are a lot of fun
to pick out.  The Centauri using the Shadows to do the work they can't is
reminiscent of Spain using Hitler's Luftwaffe et al in their civil war.  The
Centauri politics remind me of any number of Machiavellian court intrigues, but
Londo's tirades in the council room could've been Mussolini or Hitler in their
heyday.  The mutual non-aggression treaty between Earth and the Centauri sounds
a lot like the agreement between Stalin and Hitler, but at least Earth didn't
take a piece of Narn space the way Russia gobbled up half of Poland.  The
interesting thing about the similarities is that they tend to have substantial
differences, as well, which keeps you guessing about how things might turn out.
The only exception I've found to this in the show was the Neville Chamberlain
guy, who was about as unambiguous as you can get.
        Great show, interesting plotlines, real characters, fabulous effects.
Keep up the good work.

#: 406621 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    28-Nov-95  21:08:06
Sb: #406404-Vichy Narn?
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Fitz Bushnell 76435,165 (X)

     Thanks...we try.

    28-Nov-95  20:05:24
Sb: #Reactor Access
Fm: Clinton Alvord 71470,3665
To:  71016,1644 (X)

Joe,

A friend who does not have on-line access wanted me to pass along a question
(which may have already been answered, for all I know):

In the episode "Convictions," why did the "bomb squad" have to go out into
space in order to gain access to the fusion reactor?

My suspicions is that the reactor is isolated from the rest of the ship and an
EVA is about the only way to get there. But that was just my guess.

Thanks. And keep up the good work.

   ---Clinton---
   MSTie #873

#: 406622 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Nov-95  21:08:09
Sb: #406579-Reactor Access
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Clinton Alvord 71470,3665

     Going in the vacuum door was the fastest way to get a bunch of people in
there, and presumably get a big object out again.  Instead of riding transport
tubes to the core shuttle, then the core shuttle to the far end, then tubes to
the bottom...you jump out, get picked up and dumped at the far end.  Takes 2
minutes rather than 10 or 15.  Remember, this place is five miles long.

    28-Nov-95  23:53:58
Sb: #403072-#B5: Dear Joe
Fm: Elizabeth 76202,563
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

JMS:

I don't know anything about what stathis was saying; I missed it.  However, I
have been in several creative forums here on CServe (i.e., comics, sf/fan lit,
etc.) and whenever there is a creator of a book or comic series or program
involved someone usually seems to find the need to pull creators' strings and
irritate them and everybody else, and then sit back and watch what happens.  It
isn't unusual, simply annoying.
I, for one, enjoy B5 and am very glad that WNDY near Indianapolis picked it
back up so I could watch it.

Liz

#: 406727 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Nov-95  00:45:09
Sb: #406702-#B5: Dear Joe
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Elizabeth 76202,563 (X)

      Thanks, and yeah, having served my time in and running creative writing
classes, I've seen it too.  Ah, well....

    29-Nov-95  00:08:40
Sb: #B5 books
Fm: Mara K. Malovany 102750,1414
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

        Are there any plans to make/release audio-tape versions of the B5
novels?  At Visions 95, someone asked Michael O'Hare if he would like to do
them, and he said he would.
        Is this under consideration, or do you consider it to be unnecessary
merchandising?  After hearing Michael read Dr. Seuss, I must say that I'd be
happy to buy a tape of him reading almost anything. <g>

Mara
(Mira's reading of Seuss was great too--very intense and serious)

#: 406728 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Nov-95  00:45:10
Sb: #406713-B5 books
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Mara K. Malovany 102750,1414 (X)

     No one's yet discussed it, I think....

    29-Nov-95  03:24:46
Sb: #B5 Screensaver
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: All

     Well, today I got my complimentary copy of the new B5 screensaver (aka the
Limited Edition CDRom Entertainment Untility), from Sound Sources.  I have to
say that I'm extremely pleased with it.  (And folks around here know that if I
don't like it, I don't front for it.)

     I have it running now on both my home computer, and my work office
computer.  On the downside, it isn't exactly intuitive on the installation, and
there's not much of a manual.  You have to figure out some stuff on your own.
(Like when it says it installs all the wallpaper, it actually installs a
portion; you then have the option of using the Install aspect to go back into
the CDrom images area and getting the 150 or so other wallpaper images and
putting them into your system, and then using the Add and Select menus to
activate them.)

     I had a memory/sound conflict on the work computer on a few of the
modules, but no such problem on the home system (and since they're both nearly
identical systems, it tells me something's wonky with one of the computers, and
I have to figure this out.)  Maybe it has something to do with running Norton
Desktop.

     Those two caveats aside, and they're relatively minor...I love it. You've
got a whole bunch of video clips complete with sounds and/or music, 150
wallpapers, bunches of .wav files, using our actual sound library from the
show, plus music clips...it's just gorgeous.  And well displayed, well put
together.  It has what I was hoping for, a sense of a piece of Babylon 5 itself
in your system.

     As I understand it, there are only going to be 100,000 of these produced
for full national distribution, and apparently the phone and mail orders are
piling up, as are computer store orders.  So you may want to get it fast when
it appears, 'cause it may not stay on the shelves very long.

     I don't like to do a lot of merchandise, and when we do, it has to be of
superior quality; this one definitely qualifies.

    29-Nov-95  00:48:03
Sb: #<ADITS:Aliens 'R Us>
Fm: Morris L. Gavant, M.D. 74027,264
To: J.Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Great Maker

Rather than guess. . . What is the name of the race whose member was injured in
Franklin's lab?  Is that guy a generic alien used for background shots?

Alternatively, you can let me guess.  Depends on how well you think I'll do
during holiday reruns. . .

Dr. G
Long distance information, give MEmpis Tennessee!

#: 406784 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Nov-95  03:28:56
Sb: #406729-#<ADITS:Aliens 'R Us>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Morris L. Gavant, M.D. 74027,264

     I'll have to go back and check, but from memory I'm pretty sure he's a
Llort.

                                                                       jms

#: 406771 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    29-Nov-95  03:11:09
Sb: #Stephen Furst
Fm: David Chandler-Gick 73654,2320
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Hi, Joe...

Wonderful job on Gethsemane.

Quick question regarding Stephen Furst - According to Hyperion.com he is
leaving the series for a gig on a FOX sitcom. However, the latest TV Guide
reports that he will be joining the cast of "that other medical drama" Chicago
Hope... What gives? And we *will* be seeing more of Vir in the future, I hope?

David Chandler-Gick
Backyard Productions

#: 406785 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    29-Nov-95  03:28:57
Sb: #406771-Stephen Furst
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: David Chandler-Gick 73654,2320

      Yes, you'll be seeing more of Stephen.  Also, the Misery Loves Company
show for Fox was dropped, and the appearance on Chicago Hope is apparently only
for 2 episodes.

    29-Nov-95  11:17:49
Sb: #Rage's Thots: rastb5
Fm: Chad Underkoffler 102512,1310
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Joe--

Damn.

I'm sorry you have to stop reading rastb because of a few idiots.

I understand why, and I think you're making the right move.

It *really* tweaks me that a handful of <CENSORED, CENSORED, CENSORED> forced
you into this position.

Thank Kosh you'll still be here.  Don't let the occassional Stathis drive you
away from here, please!

(This next part's a little mushy, but sincere)

>From all of the quieter people, not only here but also on USENET who valued
your gesture and comments:  Thanks.

Thanks for producing the best damn TV show on the air.

Thanks for bringing SF out of a languishing cellar.

Thanks for treating us (the fans) as fellow travelers, "worthy" of interaction
and even friendship.

Thanks for your insights into the Rality of TV production.

Thanks for putting up with our ridiculous, not-so-ridiculous, and actually
insightful questions.

You never had to do any of this, save maybe for your personal satisfaction.
You should know that there are those of us who appreciate it.

(mushy mode off)

Now I'm going to go back to taking you to task.  Just 8.5 hrs to PtG...

Rage
Ranger of Washingdome
"You didn't have to post there, but you did, but you did, but you did, and I
thank you..."

#: 407020 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Nov-95  15:13:51
Sb: #406930-#Rage's Thots: rastb5
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Chad Underkoffler 102512,1310 (X)

      No, the thanks, and the pleasure, are all mine.

      And yeah, having to do this is a pain in the butt, no mistake.

    29-Nov-95  15:23:53
Sb: #406889-#Science FictionAge/B5
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: S J NICHOLSON 76574,1663 (X)

      Inch by inch by inch...we are taking over the world.

    29-Nov-95  15:23:55
Sb: #407013-#ABC rumor
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: John MacVeigh 72467,2141 (X)

     No, absolutely not true.  ABC is doing a series called "Hypernauts" for
Saturday morning kidvid -- live action plus cgi -- made by many of the same
people who do B5, including Ron Thornton/Foundation Imaging, with Kevin Cremin,
John Copeland, Doug Netter and many of our same directors.  But B5 has nothing
to do with it, nor do I personally.  This person has confused two different
issues/shows.

                                                                       jms

#: 407024 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    29-Nov-95  15:23:57
Sb: #406932-Were are the Shadows
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Randy Upshaw 75464,1275 (X)

      What we're doing in the meantime is plenty.  Originally, the fourth and
final episode in this first batch of four was going to be "Voices of
Authority," which deals with just this question of preparing for the war in a
big way, has major developments, gets into the White Star...but the CGI
requirements of that episode were hideous, so we had to move it to #5 in the
lineup, moving up "Gethsemane."  Once we come back with new episodes, we'll hit
the ground running hard on all this stuff.

     Also bear in mind that wars aren't instant; in the real world, you have to
line up support, get into alliances, move all your pieces around before you can
get into it.  We're taking a similar path here.  Also, the term "shadow war"
refers to more than just the shadows as a race; they refer to what's going on
back on earth as well, as metaphor as well as plot point, and that's a huge
part of the next batch of eps.

    29-Nov-95  16:13:06
Sb: #406727-#B5: Dear Joe
Fm: Susan  Phillips 103044,3337
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

This prompts a question.

Do you believe that creative writing can be taught?  The subject has been
discussed a lot over the years I have been reading (and watching) sf and I
don't think any conclusion has been reached.

I respect your opinions and would like to hear your views on the subject, if
you have the time and inclination to give them.

Keep up the good work.

Sue

#: 407267 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Nov-95  21:53:13
Sb: #407078-#B5: Dear Joe
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Susan  Phillips 103044,3337

     The answer is yes and no.  I've taught writing classes and workshops, and
it is entirely possible to take someone with a good command of the language and
make them publishable in the area of articles and other nonfiction.  Virtually
anyone can be trained.  You can also learn some of the basic *techniques* of
fiction.  But there's a quantum jump between what is required of the two basic
forms.

     By the time I was done, invariably people would sell in non-fiction. The
last time I did it, within 6 months of finishing the class, the percentage of
those who actually pursued it (as opposed to just dropping the ball and not
trying) and published was close to 100%.  Fiction, ah, that's different.

     When it comes time to make up your own stories, you either hear the music,
or you don't.  (And even if you don't, some folks can sell one or two items in
their lives.)

     That spark, that way of viewing the world and coming up with stories,
cannot be taught I think.  It's either there, or it ain't.

                                                                       jms

#: 407153 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    29-Nov-95  18:18:08
Sb: #406619-#<PTG>
Fm: Philip Hornsey 74053,2101
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

>>      So, in essence, you liked it, then...?

It was excellent. I am going to use it to bring another into the fold, as it
stands so well on it's own and shows how B5 differs from conventional SF. It is
a story, the SF setting is basically unnecessary to the plot which is a
redeemed killer still tortured by his past finding justice that isn't justice
*except for him*.

Also the direction and cinamatography (especally the opening pan from the back
of the station and the hook)  was excellent. I hope you get Adam Nimoy to
direct more.

>>      Re: Lyta...(evil smile)....

The really aren't the good guys are they.

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

#: 407268 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    29-Nov-95  21:53:20
Sb: #407153-#<PTG>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Philip Hornsey 74053,2101 (X)

     Depends on how you define good.

                                                                       jms

#: 407274 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    29-Nov-95  21:59:39
Sb: #407141-#<Gethsemane>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Neil Blevins 102226,3566 (X)

     If the Centauri teep had had more time to react he probably would have
gone after Garibaldi...but Lyta came in too fast, and she took his attention
quickly.

                                                                       jms*

(*who is wondering, if he wrote an episode in which Morden was trapped on a
cliffside, if he could title it "Ridge Over Troubled Wasser"...)

#: 407311 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Nov-95  23:04:09
Sb: #<Gethsemene>
Fm: Richard P. Manny 70762,141
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Dear JMS,

I've just recovered from "Passing through Gethsemene".  You have stated that
you are an atheist, however, you are capable of greater spirituality than many
Christians I know.  How is it that we rarely see spirituality realistically
potrayed on tv or the movies?  Brothers Theo and Edward moved me to tears.
(I'm very glad my wife was already asleep.  I would have hated for her to have
seen me cry as I did.) Now, let me answer my own question.

One or two years ago, Anthony Hopkins, a marvelous actor, starred as C.S. Lewis
in movie (I don't recall the name).  Lewis was a practicing Christian.  His
writings indicate that he had a personal relationship with God.  In the movie,
we aren't convincingly shown this fundamental relationship that steered this
great man's life.  When Hopkin's prays for his wife, he sounds like he's doing
it for the first time.  The words, the story, the fundamental focus and
understanding of what should have been a beautiful story were flawed.  Theo and
Edward are different.  They didn't come across as actors in robes, they were
spiritual men, who love their God, and who serve their God.  When they speak,
they speak honestly to each other and to their God.  I'm a lapsed Christian,
but "Passing through Gethsemene" has done more to make me reexamine my
spiritual life than many a dozen pastors.

As you have said, in the world of Babylon 5 there are actions and the
consequences of those actions.  When Theo and Edward last speak, and when
Sheridan meets the new brother, we see a beautiful demonstration of this simple
rule--actions and consequences.

And television is such a strange medium.  I rarely watch tv after B5, but
tonight I was flipping channels when I found an hour long documentary on Rod
Serling.  What an illuminating show to see, and what perfect timing to catch it
right after "Gethsemene".  The show was all black and white, even the modern
interviews.  I was absorbed by this story of the man and the war he raged
against sponsors and networks to produce what he wanted.  In so many ways, you
remind me of Serling and Lovecraft.  Both strove with the gods and the devils
to produce the best, to tell the story, to turn the word on its ear, to tweek
the medium for all it could give, and then one more tweek.  There's another
Lovecraftian aspect to you, beyond the story-telling word, its this enormous
virtual circle of correspondents that you talk to each day.  Lovecraft had his
circle which nutured the likes of de Camp, Long, Howard, and Derleth.  I wonder
who out there in the ether is taking form as a writer by drawing nurishment
from this circle?

Richard

#: 407444 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Nov-95  01:44:03
Sb: #407311-#<Gethsemene>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Richard P. Manny 70762,141 (X)

      I don't think there can *be* any praise higher than to be included in the
same sentence as Serling.  Of my personal pantheon of writers, he's right up
there at the top.  And yeah, we've had to fight the same battles to get our
respective shows on the air, with the integrity we feel/felt was required for
the story.  But in the long run, the fight is worth it if it produces something
that lasts.

      About correspondents...I've heard from a number of folks, in the course
of this prolonged conversation, who say they've had the courage to begin
writing, or sending out what they write, because they've seen that it Can Be
Done.  A few of them have broken through, most have not, but it's a long
process, and there's plenty of time ahead.

     If the show can inspire anyone, even one person, to do more, or better,
then it has achieved its purpose.

                                                                       jms

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *