REAL JMS on Compuserve: October 12, 1995

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Thu Oct 19 17:01:05 EDT 1995

Subject: REAL JMS on Compuserve: October 12, 1995
*  1: Oct 12, 1995: The Green Meddler <kilgalen at tde.com>

From: The Green Meddler <kilgalen at tde.com>

---------------------------------14025237918298

sigh.....
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/  Green Meddler  kilgalen at tde.com   Nathan F. Wallace _/
_/     http://www.webcom.com/~kilgalen/welcome.html     _/
_/     http://www.webcom.com/~kilgalen/nerelon.html     _/
_/    C.I.U.P.K.C. Software -- Unleashing the Power!    _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---------------------------------14025237918298

Subj:  Keeping B5 ALIVE			Section: Babylon 5
  To:  The Jawa / Jawa #2, 76371,3057	Wednesday, October 11, 1995 11:22:26 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#365276

     That's the point, you really couldn't pull a major thread without unraveling a lot of stuff.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  Keeping B5 ALIVE			Section: Babylon 5
  To:  Anne L. Warner, 71513,1177	Wednesday, October 11, 1995 11:22:25 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#365275

     The stations have a season two poster that's quite nice; suggest you contact your local station and inquire if they
have any left.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  WOTW: DS9 Imitates B5?		Section: Star Trek
  To:  Randy Hall, 74617,420		Wednesday, October 11, 1995 9:53:14 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#365148

     Ah, I see the infamous Randy Hall of AOL is here, as well.

     In citing the DS9 ratings, you carefully omit the Voyager ratings, which in many cases in the past have been
somewhat *less* than the B5 ratings.  Which kinda takes the air out of the argument, doesn't it?

     Even so, B5 is challenging the ST universe artistically, in terms of what we put on the screen.  As we hope they
will challenge us.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  GARIBALDI COP STUFF		Section: Babylon 5
  To:  Michael  Zitaglio, 102545,641	Wednesday, October 11, 1995 11:22:30 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#365278

     The actors do not input into scripts in the writing process; they interpret the script upon its completion.  In rare
cases, they may ask for a line or word change for performance purposes.  But the line you cite was from Garibaldi's
background.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  B5 Story Thoughts		Section: Babylon 5
  To:  John M. Kahane, 102664,773	Wednesday, October 11, 1995 11:22:31 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#365279

     It's an old wound, and though I appreciate the question, I'd rather not re-open it.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  Episodes Evaluation		Section: Babylon 5
  To:  John M. Kahane, 102664,773	Wednesday, October 11, 1995 11:22:02 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#365280

     The most difficult part on one level is probably the writing, because that's the one time I'm up on the high-wire
entirely by myself; in every other aspect of the show, you've got other people, costume designers, EFX people, others
who can keep you from falling.  Behind the keyboard, if you screw up, you've got no one to catch you.

     On another level, the most physically difficult is the editing process, where we go over each episode frame by
frame and edit it to within an inch of its life.  It's a very detailed and wearing process.

     We definitely plan to do more with Lennier next season.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  Telepaths on B5			Section: Babylon 5
  To:  John M. Kahane, 102664,773	Wednesday, October 11, 1995 11:22:05 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#365281

     Yes, both sides can pay the same telepath, since teeps have no vested interest either way, and their honesty is
held to the highest standards.  Or you can get a second teep of your own.  And yes, there have been others on B5,
but usually passing through with the businessmen who hire them.

  To:  Kit Furness, 73574,44		Wednesday, October 11, 1995 11:45:01 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#365311

     Thanks, and I think you'll like where we take that relationship in the coming season as well....

                                                                       jms

Subj:  <Divided Loyalties>		Section: Babylon 5
  To:  Neil Blevins, 102226,3566	Wednesday, October 11, 1995 11:45:02 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#365312

     Remember, the *conscious* Talia did none of those things; she would never dream of scanning without
permission.  (And in Ivanova's case, remember that she said she knows *instantly* if she's being scanned.  Note her
strong reaction in "Eyes" when it happens.)

  To:  Deonaha M. Conlin, 102531,2627	Wednesday, October 11, 1995 11:45:04 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#365314

     That's terrific, thank you...and glad to see another Dr. Pepper fan out there....

     This one came out quite well...but compared to what's coming, man....

     Thanks again, and enjoy the marathon.

  To:  Joel Hilke, 74271,1016		Thursday, October 12, 1995 1:19:25 AM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#365370

     There's little I could say about Jarvis' reviews for TV GUIDE that has not already been said about Jack the Ripper.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  Ellison CITY Note		Section: Star Trek