ATTN JMS: StarFuries -- *why*?

b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Apr 8 02:05:57 EDT 1996

Subject: ATTN JMS: StarFuries -- *why*?
 No.   DATE           FROM
+  1: Apr  6, 1996: Leanan-Sidhe <lily at arh0248.urh.uiuc.edu>
+  3: Apr  6, 1996: hawthorn at sover.net (Frank J. Perricone)
*  4: Apr  6, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: Leanan-Sidhe <lily at arh0248.urh.uiuc.edu>

On Fri, 5 Apr 1996, dan'l danehy-oakes wrote:

> What are all those StarFuries *for*?  What do they do in a big
> battle, other than fill up the screen with cool action?

theory:  perhaps they make it more difficult for the enemy to board the
station by force?  can you imagine trying to dock with a bunch of
starfuries picking on you?  i wouldn't want to try it.

Becky
REPLY TO: rlehmann at uiuc.edu NOT TO THE ADDRESS IN THE HEADER!
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~rlehmann

"I have ... a terrible need ... shall I say the word? ... of religion.
 Then I go out at night and paint the stars."
                                -- Vincent van Gogh

From: hawthorn at sover.net (Frank J. Perricone)

On Fri, 05 Apr 1996 14:55:56 -0800, "dan'l danehy-oakes"
<djdaneh at mpdsrv.PacBell.COM> wrote:

>Every battle I can recall (I've seen every ep except B^2; but I
>have a life and haven't watched them all many times, so I could
>misremember something) has had a lot of StarFuries flitting
>around and shooting at each other, and occasionally getting caught
>in the crossfire of the Big Guys who are also shooting at each
>other.

Starfuries made a big difference in the battle with the Centauri
cruiser in "The Fall Of Night".  There was no other "Big Guy" other
than B5 itself.  (There was a Narn cruiser, but it wasn't
battle-capable.)

* Frank J. Perricone * hawthorn at sover.net * Finger for my PGP public key *
Just because we're not all the same doesn't mean we have nothing in common
We apologize for the wanton use of the phrase "Fuck the CDA!" in this sig.

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

spoiler stuph

"What are all those StarFuries *for*?  What do they do in a big
battle, other than fill up the screen with cool action?

Every battle I can recall (I've seen every ep except B^2; but I
have a life and haven't watched them all many times, so I could
misremember something) has had a lot of StarFuries flitting
around and shooting at each other, and occasionally getting caught
in the crossfire of the Big Guys who are also shooting at each
other.

The issue is, however, finally decided by the Big Guys, one of
which invariably blows the other up (or chases it off or whatever).

"The battle scenes in SEVERED DREAMS are perfect examples.  Opening
sequence -- Bunch of StarFuries flitting around; eventually one
Big Guy's main battery punches out the other one.  Defense of B5:
same basic concept; one Big Guy is torn to crap by another, while
the other two go down in a rammerjammer suicide run.

So whatinole were alla them StarFuries even out there for?"

A lot more ships came in with the Roanoke and the Agrippa, support ships
and others.  Probably more breaching pods.  They took out those.  They're
also used to keep the enemy starfuries from disabling the defense grid on
the station, leaving B5 free to use its weapons on the larger target/worse
threat.  They're often used to soften up the enemy, harrass them like a
pack of hounds falling on a prey.  In "Fall of Night," we saw a Centauri
vessel in large measure taken out by the Starfuries with some B5 support.
So they definitely play a part.