JMS on CompuServe (Apr 21, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 2/2

Brent Barrett brent.barrett at 24stex.com
Sun Apr 21 20:31:01 EDT 1996

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

    Sb: #493045-<TCoS: Londo's Dream>
    Sb: #492888-<Sic Transit Vir>
    Sb: #492914-<Sic Transit Vir>
    Sb: #492766-<STV - clarifications?>
    Sb: #492918-<Sic Tr Vir-my opinions>
    Sb: #492919-<A Late Delivery...>
    Sb: #492941-<Transit...>

   Coming of Shadows" when B5 will run a sequential series of years from 2258
   to 2262. ]

 #: 493129 S5/Babylon 5: General
    21-Apr-96  15:34:04
Sb: #493045-<TCoS: Londo's Dream>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      All I can say for now, without massive spoilers, is that we'll be getting
into this issue very heavily by the end of this season.  You'll see more of
this thread.  But for now, this is simply one of those questions I'm going to
have to refrain from answering for now.

                                                                          jms

 #: 492888 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    21-Apr-96  09:05:29
Sb: #492672-#<Sic Transit Vir>
Fm: FITZGERALDS

I love Stephen Furst!  His facial expressions are priceless!  Peter Jurasik is
also wonderful.  Tell me, is Peter's accent real?  It just adds so much to the
scenes.  Were you involved with the hiring of the actors?  Did you know their
previous work or did they audition fpr their parts?  Each seems to fit their
part well.  I just loved the actress who played Vir's wife!  She did a
wonderful job!
Nora

 #: 493130 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    21-Apr-96  15:34:05
Sb: #492888-<Sic Transit Vir>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, Peter's accent isn't real, though he does a good job with it.  And
yes, I hire (with Doug Netter and John Copeland) all the actors on the show.

                                                                        jms

 #: 493131 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    21-Apr-96  15:34:08
Sb: #492914-<Sic Transit Vir>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, Vir would never kill a Narn, so he's fine.

                                                                       jms

 #: 492766 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    21-Apr-96  01:04:09
Sb: #490659-#<STV - clarifications?>
Fm: MICHAEL GRABOIS

>>I could've *sworn* there was a line there about the Narn recovering; I'm
going to have to check this.  I hope I didn't accidentally cut it for time
while doing something else.  (It was a LONG editing session.)<<

A few days ago, you said this. We just got to see the episode Saturday night in
Houston, and while watching it, I wondered what had happened to the Narn as
well. I knew Vir wouldn't do anything, but I don't think it was mentioned. (I
didn't read the spoilers until afterwards).

So it looks like you may hae accidentally cut the line out. Who was supposed to
have said it?
        mg

 #: 493132 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    21-Apr-96  15:34:10
Sb: #492766-<STV - clarifications?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It was in the observation dome scene with Ivanova; I realized that we'd
cut a small piece for time that was expendable, but in the back and forth went
one line too far without realizing it.  Sigh....

                                                                           jms

   WWOR stupidly put the spoiler preview for "Sic Transit Vir" in the first
   group of commercials *during* "Sic Transit Vir." ]

 #: 493134 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    21-Apr-96  15:34:15
Sb: #492918-<Sic Tr Vir-my opinions>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks; I heard about the Vir promo situation...sigh...some days we just
can't catch a break.

                                                                       jms

 #: 492919 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    21-Apr-96  10:43:29
Sb: #<A Late Delivery...>
Fm: DAVID CERRETA

Joe,

I think that ALDFA was the perfect episode to lead off sweeps.  What fun it
must have been to write *that* one.  I'll get to the neat stuff in a minute.
I'm glad you took the time to establish how things were going to work on B5 now
that support from Earth is gone.  You're right, they couldn't rely on the
Minbari forever and they needed to find some way to protect themselves from
Earth or others who would seek to take advantage of their weakened position
once the Minbari left.

I like the way the title was mirrored in both the A and B stories. Garibaldi's
package of Italian goodies was a real hoot.  I knew the postmaster would get
his and it was fun to see *that* foot drop by episode's end.

Now onto the great stuff.  Michael York's performance was wonderful.  Who
wouldn't believe he was Arthur?  Hell, I spent most of the show *hoping* he
was, although like the others, knew that he couldn't be.  Then why was he
there?  Once again, you camouflaged your story well.  To think from this we
would find out why the Minbari and Earth went to war, how Dukhat was killed and
so on.  It fills in a bit of backstory that I think everybody was wondering if
you were going to get to.  Sure enough you did, but in such an amazing way.  I
don't know how many times you've done it in the past three years, but you
deglamorize war better than almost anyone.  Through your words and Michael's
performance we could feel the wait of his guilt, being responsible for so many
lost lives. Even odder is the realization that perhaps, if the Minbari had only
met humans under peaceful circumstances they might never have discovered where
their *missing* souls were going. In some ways, "Arthur" was indirectly
responsible for the joining of Minbari and humans into their current alliance,
whatever its outcome.  Fun to think about!

Nice to see Richard Biggs have a meatier part.  I miss him when he is only on
the periphery.  And, once again, we see a bit more into Marc during stressful
situations.  Andreas made a fabulous knight and I could see many a Narn
following "Arthur" when all is said and done.

Strangely, I think you can call this episode a breather and very upbeat, a
surprise to me since I thought you considered CLD and STV to be the only
breathers remaining in the season.  I'm glad for it.  The loose e The preview
of next week's Bester episode looks exciting.  Looking forward to it.

Best, Dave

 #: 493135 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    21-Apr-96  15:34:16
Sb: #492919-<A Late Delivery...>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  I *really* like this episode a lot.  The performance, the music,
everything works; I tried to get a little artsy, try out some different kinds
of stuff, stretch some muscles I haven't used enough, and it came out very
nicely.  It's just nifty.

                                                                         jms

 #: 492941 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    21-Apr-96  11:45:29
Sb: #<Transit...>
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

Once again, some fascinating links to the arc in what you have referred to as a
non-arc episode.  Londo's antipathy towards "anything with 8 legs," we
certainly don't have to imagine too wildly to find a source for that antipathy!
Susan's dream of being all-too-literally "out of uniform," very nice followup
in a minor key to the end of CoLaD.

Lydisty struck me as being most reminiscent of Fry in her language -- a sort of
Alizon Eliot through a glass darkly -- very eerie experience.

As to those problematic press releases, for whom and what purpose are they
originally intended?  They are very long for the use of television guides.

    - rje -

..but then there was a star danced, and under that was I born.

 #: 493136 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    21-Apr-96  15:34:18
Sb: #492941-<Transit...>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, there's a smidge of Alizon in Lyndisty, mainly in grammar and word
choice.  As for the releases...they're not press releases, they're synopses
sent to the stations for only their use.  They were never meant for general
distribution.  Happily, one source of the synopses has offered to stop putting
them out, so that'll be a major help to us.

                                                                       jms

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *
 *           http://www.ailink.com           *