JMS on CompuServe (Apr 28, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sun Apr 28 16:23:15 EDT 1996

    Sb: #496763-#Epic Bab5
    Sb: #496771-<Minbari Souls>
    Sb: #496788-#<Actor's reaction?>
    Sb: #496813-#<Avalon and 3d age>
    Sb: #496831-#<Actor's reaction?>

** REMOVE **

   A poster has taken the time to read-up on some Greek mythology and legends
   and takes a stab at trying to understand how Babylon 5 is structured in
   that context.  She sees elements such as "recounting the tale" to start
   the story (the intro), a common, underlying trait shared by all the
   characters (redemption), gods or mythological icons (vorlons/shadows,
   Great Machine, Valen's Staff), the hero springing from noble or
   distinguished parentage (Sheridan as a war hero), great heroic deeds
   against incredible odds (the Shadow War). ]

 #: 496823 S5/Babylon 5: General
    27-Apr-96  22:37:34
Sb: #496763-#Epic Bab5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, so far, I'd say your analysis was quite good.  To some extent, you
also have to go outside strict Greek storytelling structure in terms of saga
and also go into classic Greek theater, especially the tragedies.

      In that particular form, a character may have a destiny, or there's a
prophecy, and the character does all he can to avoid that destiny, but
everything he does only brings him closer to it.  Certainly there's a lot of
that in Londo, for instance.

      There's also the thematic issues of hubris, of the descent into the
underworld, the oracle, and other elements of Greek and general mythic
storytelling.

    27-Apr-96  19:47:32
Sb: #<Minbari Souls>
Fm: CHAD UNDERKOFFLER

Joe, a quick question...

I was just rethinking part of Passing Thru Gethsemane... Where Lennier calls
the soul a non-local phenomeon.

If this is so, how can Minbari souls be flitting over to humans?

The only idea I have here is that to go with Lennier's "flashlight" analogy,
that the beams of soul that *should* be aimed at Minbari are now aimed at
Humans.

How does that sound, or do I have it all messed up?

Rage
Ranger of Washingdome
"Look! It's the old Vorlon from Scene 24!"

 #: 496824 S5/Babylon 5: General
    27-Apr-96  22:37:36
Sb: #496771-<Minbari Souls>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That's close....

                                                                    jms

 #: 496788 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    27-Apr-96  20:12:11
Sb: #<Actor's reaction?>
Fm: JOE SALEMI [ZD NET]

Joe,

Now that the actors have finished filming season 3, and are 9 episodes ahead of
us, can you tell us what their reaction is to the changes you've wrought?

(Without spoiling anything, anyway :-).)

 #: 496825 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    27-Apr-96  22:37:37
Sb: #496788-#<Actor's reaction?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Well, most of the actors have split now that filming's over for the
season, scattering to the four winds...but I'd say overall that they're all
very pleased at how their characters have been changed, what's happened, and
seeing how it's been *massively* cranked up for next season.

                                                                      jms

   explained the Ranger pin to Franklin. ]

 #: 496864 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    28-Apr-96  00:27:38
Sb: #496813-#<Avalon and 3d age>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, there's a small clue about the third age in the discussion between
Marcus and Franklin about the ranger pin.  I mean, it's really pretty blatant.

                                                                      jms

 #: 496831 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    27-Apr-96  22:59:21
Sb: #496825-#<Actor's reaction?>
Fm: JOE SALEMI [ZD NET]

  >> ...but I'd say overall that they're all very pleased at how their
  >> characters have been changed, what's happened, and seeing how it's been
  >> *massively* cranked up for next season.

Good to hear.  The other question is, how many of them did you *suprise* with
what you're doing the rest of this season. <g>

(And how may episodes next season are going to have confidential titles. <BG>)

 #: 496865 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    28-Apr-96  00:30:24
Sb: #496831-#<Actor's reaction?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      They're *always* surprised, it seems....