JMS on CompuServe (Aug 02, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Aug 2 18:42:45 EDT 1996

    Sb: #550032-#B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
    Sb: #551384-#Old SciFi series
    Sb: #551527-Kosh & Kyle/pilot
    Sb: #551670-Eng Lit & B5
    Sb: #551601-#Voice in the Wilderness
    Sb: #551610-Voices of Experience
    Sb: #551532-#B5 New Season
    Sb: #551735-Old Archives
    Sb: #551675-<IaE in UK>
    Sb: #John Copeland on SFC
    Sb: #551789-B5 New Season
    Sb: #551814-Doom and Despair
    Sb: #551822-B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
    Sb: #551967-B5 Tech & Other Stuff
    Sb: #552104-Info please!

   recevied anything. ]

 #: 551673 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Aug-96  20:39:00
Sb: #550032-#B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      We don't know who did or didn't receive stuff until we hear back; send
email to jplb5 at aol.com...he's sending out batches of stuff all this week to
those whose deliveries got screwed up.

                                                                    jms

   what The Prisoner is about but can't tell anyone. ]

 #: 551678 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Aug-96  20:51:15
Sb: #551384-#Old SciFi series
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That would be telling.

                                                                    jms

   Kosh in his true form in the pilot movie. ]

 #: 551679 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Aug-96  20:51:17
Sb: #551527-Kosh & Kyle/pilot
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, from where I sit, he looked and spoke pretty awed.  So I can't
account for your interpretation; certainly I think the general concensus was
that he was massively impressed.

    01-Aug-96  20:32:28
Sb: #551339-#Eng Lit & B5
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

<<  I go from the classics to the obscure, >>

Have you tried some of William Blake's epic stuff or Charles Williams' (I think
that's the author, but at least one of C. S. Lewis and Tolkien's cronies)
"Taliesin Through Logres?"  Bits of magic there...

    - rje - Beware the Revenge of Unanticipated Consequences...

 #: 551680 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Aug-96  20:51:20
Sb: #551670-Eng Lit & B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, I'm very fond of William Blake's work.

    01-Aug-96  18:39:42
Sb: #Voice in the Wilderness
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Hi, Joe,

I was just re-watching "Voice in the Wilderness" and noticed a sly little line
you dropped in there that has *so* much more meaning now that we're a lot
deeper into the story.  When they first find Varn, he says:
 "Help me!  Or your people . . . all of your people . . . will die."

:-)  He wasn't just talking about the people on B5, *was* he?

Thanks,

  -- Brent

 #: 551681 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Aug-96  20:51:22
Sb: #551601-#Voice in the Wilderness
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Who can say...?

    01-Aug-96  19:06:25
Sb: #Voices of Experience
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

While watching the repeat of the Rod Serling documentary on PBS the other
night, a question occurred to me (no way to retrace the original stimulus -- it
was a mental slalom-run):

Do you find it more of a challenge to write from the perspective of one
(individual, society) who is less experienced than yourself (regain lost
innocence) or one who is more experienced (project 1,000 to 1,000,000 forward),
or is there no difference?

    - rje -

 #: 551682 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Aug-96  20:51:24
Sb: #551610-Voices of Experience
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I don't think there's really a difference.  (Also, philosophically, I
think one can be experienced and still retain a certain measure of innocence,
but that's another discussion for another time.)  I think we all have that part
of ourselves which wishes to believe, needs to believe in a cause or in other
people , however many times experience slaps us in the face with the contrary
position...and there is always the part which is tired and weary and burned out
and refuses to trust again.  We are all these things at different moments.  The
difference with writers is that we must be those different things on command,
and articulate those feelings through the voices of our characters as they
experience them in new contexts.

                                                                    jms

 #: 551690 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Aug-96  21:01:04
Sb: #551532-#B5 New Season
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Expect new eps around the first week of October, at which point there
will be 9 new shows aired in a row.

                                                                    jms

 #: 551746 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Aug-96  00:21:30
Sb: #551735-Old Archives
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Certainly it would've occured in the last days of the war.

    01-Aug-96  20:44:13
Sb: #550746-#<IaE in UK>
Fm: AL LIPSCOMB

The questions of the Shadows motives continue to be a subject I have given much
thought. While I belive that you have stated that when these motives brought
into the open a healthy percentage of us will agree that the movtives are not
wrong (although we may still not agree with the methods). I will go with the
assumption that you do not deem a large percentage of us evil, but that you
have assembled a moral dilema for us.

This also should mean that the Shadows have a reason for this, and it is not
that they are driven to chaos by their very nature.

The first question that needs to be asked is why did _most_ of the first ones
leave? Were they tired of thousands of generations of war with the Shadows?
Tired of this small galaxie? Or was there a general agreement to leave this
place to the Shadows? From there we have the Vorlon question. While the Minbari
feel that the Vorlon are 'first ones', the other first ones may not be willing
to grant that level of equality to the Vorlon.

Kosh indicated that the Vorlon were few in number, but gave a hint that they
were growing in numbers (a second possible interpretation of his statements
could lead to the conclusion that involvment in the war would mean some sort of
end to the Vorlon race: 'we are still few' and 'not our time'). We also have
some indication that the Shadows are few, at least in ships.

Now I would suspect that the 'need to survive' ploy to provide a moral grey
area could be a bit below what you have in mind. Could the Shadows be higher
levels of natural selection? If the clues we have about the death of a Vorlon
support Minbari theology then what do the Shadows want?

What is my bet? That the Shadows are the reason the Vorlon are what they are.

I hate reruns!

 #: 551747 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    02-Aug-96  00:21:32
Sb: #551675-<IaE in UK>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Some of the first ones just got bored after millions of years, and went
off in general.  The rest, for the most part, went beyond the Rim for the same
reason you cut down old trees to make room for new ones.

    02-Aug-96  00:24:55
Sb: #John Copeland on SFC
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Babylon 5 Producer John Copeland will be on "Vortex," a new show on the
Sci-Fi Channel, tomorrow evening, along with Majel Barrett Roddenberry.  Time
you got to seem some of the other friendly folks involved in making this show.

                                                                    jms

   Babylon 5 in Philadelphia. ]

 #: 552196 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Aug-96  14:49:04
Sb: #551789-B5 New Season
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Haven't heard anything yet.

                                                                       jms

   characters in Babylon 5. ]

 #: 552198 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Aug-96  14:49:08
Sb: #551814-Doom and Despair
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       There's always light at the end of the tunnel...but things have got to
get REALLY bad first, there has to be some major stuff for everyone to overcome
to make the light mean something.

    02-Aug-96  05:40:26
Sb: #551673-#B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: GERARD KEATING (IRELAND)

Joe,

Have all the Membership kits been sent yet? I've only gotten a mazagine so far.

Thanks

 Gerard Keating (Ireland)  02-Aug-96 @ 13:21:30 BST

 #: 552199 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Aug-96  14:49:10
Sb: #551822-B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       They're going out.

                                                                       jms

   has ever been posted anywhere.  Also, wonders what the third disaster
   was in "Interludes & Examinations," as trouble always comes in threes. ]

 #: 552200 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Aug-96  14:49:12
Sb: #551967-B5 Tech & Other Stuff
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I don't think the diagram has been posted anywhere; and as for trouble
coming in threes...most definitely.

                                                                       jms

 #: 552201 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Aug-96  14:49:14
Sb: #552104-Info please!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       It'd be hard to explain in a few paragraphs...may I commend to you the
lurker's guide on the internet: http://hyperion.com, which will bring you
wonderfully up to speed.