JMS on CompuServe (Aug 10, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sat Aug 10 17:26:41 EDT 1996

    Sb: #556422-#Day in the Strife
    Sb: #556526-B5 : Writing is Art?
    Sb: #556608-#B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
    Sb: #556634-Eng Lit & B5
    Sb: #556654-B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
    Sb: #556703-DS9's Homage
    Sb: #556819-#Promoting B5
    Sb: #556764-Soul Hunters

   confrontation in "A Day In the Strife." ]

 #: 556791 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    09-Aug-96  16:51:51
Sb: #556422-#Day in the Strife
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Nope.

    09-Aug-96  06:50:15
Sb: #B5 : Writing is Art?
Fm: LAURENCE MORONEY

Jms,

        From many previous postings you have described your writing in B5 as an
art. This is not in question! :-), but when proof reading my friends' thesis
(on music) something came to my mind....

        You see, part of the thesis described the art of music as being a
medium for the communication of emotion. When the user sensitises themselves to
music, they respond emotionally. What occurred to me is that this can apply to
the written word too. I don't mean an _intellectual_ response, where the mind
starts thinking about the written words and then emotions respond to them, but
a direct emotional response without having to think about the stimulus.

        It is clear where this happens with music, but not so easy to put my
finger on it in the case of the written (or dramatised) word. There are not
many writers that do this to me, but the primary ones I could mention are
yourself and Orson Scott Card. Unfortunately I have not read any of your
written words (yet). I can, however, cite an example.

        In War without End (1) we see an 'alternative' future, with Ivanova
warning about a shadow attack. We then cut to a SFX scene with a shadow fleet
approaching B5. At this point my mind thought 'Oh bugger a Shadow Fleet', and I
felt fear. But, I also have this image in my mind now, and when I think about
it _feel_ something (without thinking about it) that I can only call 'fate'.
This seems to me to be similar to the man who can look at a painting and
describe what it _means_, and not what it _describes_.

        Tis very odd, but it makes your show more memorable than any TV show
deserves to be :-).

        Is this intentional in your work, or just something odd that I am
feeling when I encounter it???

        Thanks for a great job! And good luck with year 4. I'll be waiting.

        Laurence

 #: 556792 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Aug-96  16:51:53
Sb: #556526-B5 : Writing is Art?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       It's definitely intentional.  The purpose of any kind of art should be
to make you feel something.  If it's created with passion, then the work
mirrors the intensity of emotion felt by the creator, passing it along to the
viewer, who may not even recognize what's happening, or be able to pin it
down...but it's there.  I write very passionately, and the show needs to feel
passionate to be what I need it to be.  Otherwise what's the point?

    09-Aug-96  09:41:13
Sb: #548304-#B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: JONATHAN KASS

jms,

I sent my check the first time this was posted, and the check cleared soon
after... I've since sent a note to the AOL address you posted, but received no
reply (that note was sent a few weeks ago)...

Any other suggestions for checking on the status of an order?

Jonathan Kass

 #: 556793 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Aug-96  16:51:54
Sb: #556608-#B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       He's dancing as fast as he can, another 1,000 went out this week.  We
have 5,000 members now and just two people manning the club.  We hope to expand
that soon.

    09-Aug-96  11:16:20
Sb: #555700-#Eng Lit & B5
Fm: SUSAN PEAK

Thanks ... any titles? is he available in the UK????

susan

always happy to find a new author!

 #: 556794 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Aug-96  16:51:56
Sb: #556634-Eng Lit & B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       If by "he" you mean Jonathan Carroll...yeah, he's actually bigger in the
UK than the US.  Start with "Bones of the Moon" or "The Land of Laughs" and
take it from there.

    09-Aug-96  12:00:03
Sb: #B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: TOBY JOHNSON

jms,

I sent my check the first time this was posted, and the check cleared soon
after... I've since sent a note to the AOL address you posted and listed two
different internet address that I could be reached at and have received no
reply (that note was sent a several weeks ago)...

Any other suggestions for checking on the status of an order?

 #: 556795 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Aug-96  16:52:00
Sb: #556654-B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       It's coming....

    09-Aug-96  14:32:09
Sb: #DS9's Homage
Fm: KEVIN P. KENNEY

They replayed the DS9 about the strike this week, and remembering your post
when it first aired ("quick is this a B5 or DS9 episode"), I think you were
wrong to be irritated by this occurence.

You threw down the gauntlet, saying By Any Means Necessary was a story that
Star Trek would (could?) never do.  They merely took the challenge, and even
gave you credit, by highlighting your episode's name within theirs.

All and all, I consider this a much friendlier occurence than the Foxworth
incident, and the first official homage to Babylon 5 seen in another show.

The scary part was the voiceover at the end of DS9 by the KCOP announcer
Thursday night:
"Now stay tuned as Rom leads a strike against Quark's bar on Babylon-5."

Relax....
KpK

 #: 556796 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Aug-96  16:52:00
Sb: #556703-DS9's Homage
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I see...and this, by you, is a good thing.

       Well, we have very different views of the universe, that's for sure.

    09-Aug-96  17:41:55
Sb: #Promoting B5
Fm: TONI MULLER

We recently got a new TV station here in Rapid City, SD.  For part of the day
it is an NBC affiliate.  But for the rest of the day, it airs reruns of old
shows.  I'd like to try to convince them to give B5 a try.  Could you direct me
to someone who could help me go about this?  Thanks!

Also, I attended Fantasticon this past weekend and wondered if you'd consider
attending next year, if invited (as if you need one more thing to do)?

Toni Muller

 #: 556913 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Aug-96  20:48:16
Sb: #556819-#Promoting B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'll try to attend next year; I was just in writer hell this weekend, and
had to focus on the work.

      Your best bet locally is to contact the program director or, above him,
the station manager of the station you're after.  They make the decisions.

    09-Aug-96  16:50:09
Sb: #Soul Hunters
Fm: ROWAN KAISER

OK, Joe.  Let's see if I can take this line of questioning somewhere.  Does any
race beyond the Soul Hunters know the Soul Hunter's motives?

 #: 556914 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    09-Aug-96  20:48:18
Sb: #556764-Soul Hunters
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI