JMS on CompuServe (Aug 20, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue Aug 20 21:12:36 EDT 1996

 [ Starting with this edition, I have separated
   the messages containing spoilers for the
   final five episodes of season three into
   a separate post, to follow this one.  The
   post will be clearly marked.  -- Brent ]

    Sb: #562652-The Rim anyone ?
    Sb: #562656-Still waiting...
    Sb: #562796-Snow White
    Sb: #562858-Snow White
    Sb: #562987-#Private JMS Viewing!!!!!
    Sb: #563164-Detroit problem
    Sb: #563181-Rerun Order
    Sb: #563203-Characters' Ages on CD-R
    Sb: #562618-Joe vs. Bears

 #: 562652 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Aug-96  06:38:05
Sb: #The Rim anyone ?
Fm: RICHARD WAKEFIELD

Jms,

It's me again, I just seem to be curious this month. Anyway, in a post once you
said to me that the races had only explored as far as they did because they
need Navigation Beacons for Hyperspace, did they get to the Rim, is the rim the
edge of explored space or the edge of the galaxy ? & why don't they go into
hyperspace, keep going for a month then come out ?

Richard (BTW - I love the way the season is going, with this Vorlon thing
[kosh] and the telepaths & shadows....I won't say more, but I love it :) )

 #: 563507 S5/Babylon 5: General
    20-Aug-96  13:52:08
Sb: #562652-The Rim anyone ?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       It's the Rim of the galaxy, and once you come out of hyperspace past the
galactic rim, all your points of reference are gone, and getting back is tough,
if not impossible...and you can't just "keep going" in a straight line in
hyperspace, as it's not a one-to-one corrolation to normal space.

    19-Aug-96  06:56:59
Sb: #Still waiting...
Fm: NEIL BLEVINS

Sorry for bothering you again, but I still haven't gotten my Fan Club package,
and Jim Lockett still hasn't sent any E-mail back. Are there still packages
that haven't gone out yet?

- Neil

 #: 563509 S5/Babylon 5: General
    20-Aug-96  13:52:11
Sb: #562656-Still waiting...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Will check into this.

                                                                       jms

   adaptation of "Snow White" at a con meekly asks for forgiveness and
   wonders if she gets to live now. ]

 #: 563511 S5/Babylon 5: General
    20-Aug-96  13:52:14
Sb: #562796-Snow White
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I'll think about it....

                                                                       jms

   adaptation.  "Hey, if it paid a bill, you learned something, you did
   it for a friend, or you had fun, then there's nothing to be ashamed
   of, even if it's complete cute." ]

 #: 563512 S5/Babylon 5: General
    20-Aug-96  13:52:16
Sb: #562858-Snow White
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Oh, I didn't really do it for the money, there wasn't much involved at
the time...it's not that I wrote it for money, it's that I wrote it when I was
*18* and when you look back at ANYdamnthing you wrote at 18 the impulse is to
shriek and run away.

    19-Aug-96  17:16:02
Sb: #Private JMS Viewing!!!!!
Fm: HART TREVOR

Dear civilians!!!!
        Have you heard that JMS let some other civilian see all the last 5 eps
in his office with him there!!! She is the luckiest person on Earth. I would
give ANYTHING just to meet the chap, let alone watch the show with him. Heaven
is a place on Earth.

        The story is that this girl jokingly demanded a new and JMS said she
should come bye and watch the FIVE new eps on his desk. Other people in the
thread said he was mean for only joking when he said this. JMS did not like
this and so invited her to REALLY go and see them, she did.

        I think it is REALLY evil of him :-). I was brought up not to be
jealous of people as that is bad, but he makes it IMPOSSSIBLE. I want to cry, I
love the show to much to be healthy. I wonder if JMS would take an offer of
hard cash, I have none but it is the thought that counts:-). I may have to swim
the ocean to get there though <g>, but it would be worth it.

Trevor.

P.S. If you honour me by reading this, pitty me :-))))). I may report you to
the UN for cruel and unusual punishment. <g>

 #: 563513 S5/Babylon 5: General
    20-Aug-96  13:52:19
Sb: #562987-#Private JMS Viewing!!!!!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       It wasn't that I disliked the responses...most of them were quite funny
was kinda mean (mainly in email) and as I pulled back and looked at it
objectively, I saw that it could've potentially been a UM, and Unintended
Meanness.  So I had to rectify it.  And the only way to do that was to turn the
in-jest offer to come to my office and see them into a real offer.  You gots to
do what's right....

                                                                       jms

   Detroit, to air Babylon 5 at a better time. ]

 #: 563514 S5/Babylon 5: General
    20-Aug-96  13:52:22
Sb: #563164-Detroit problem
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Best if the local fans get together en masse...that tends to work.

    19-Aug-96  22:18:49
Sb: #562537-#Rerun Order
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

OK.  But have they ever given you any justification for their scheduling? Their
scheduling does seem to be peculiarly contra-indicated for the optimum ROI/V
(Return on Investment/Viewers).

    - rje -

 #: 563515 S5/Babylon 5: General
    20-Aug-96  13:52:25
Sb: #563181-Rerun Order
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       It's all a matter of running new eps during sweeps.

       What's interesting -- when some fans of ST shows look for something to
badrap B5 about, using the ST ratings as a bludgeon -- the ST ratings have been
consistently sliding.  For the last several quarters, the quarterly rating on
DS9 has gone from 7.1 to 6.7, 5.9 and as of July 4.6.

       B5's ratings per quarter have gone from 2.7 to 2.9, 3.0 and 3.1.  Why do
I bring this up?  Because lately, in reruns, DS9 hit a 3.9 rating for the first
time in reruns that I can think of (usually they're in the 4s or low 5s) at
about the same time we hit a 3.1 in reruns, where usually it's a bit lower.  So
now there's only .8 between us and DS9 in reruns, where the gap used to be
huge.  So it should be *very* interesting to see what happens when new episodes
hit the air.  I imagine they'll still be ahead, but the gap will, I suspect, be
much smaller.

    20-Aug-96  00:03:30
Sb: #Characters' Ages on CD-R
Fm: TONI MULLER

I noticed that on the B5 CD-ROM the personnel section gives the ages of the
main characters.  They seem to be based solely on the actors' ages.  Are these
accurate?  I mean Delenn is listed as being 31 Earth years (45 Minbari).  I'd
always thought her character was older (not because Mira looks old or anything,
but because of all Delenn has experienced and accomplished and the heights to
which she has risen).  And I thought Londo and G'Kar were supposed to be older,
as well.  Thanks!

Toni

 #: 563516 S5/Babylon 5: General
    20-Aug-96  13:52:28
Sb: #563203-Characters' Ages on CD-R
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I'll have to check this and get back.

                                                                       jms

   comments on the Teddy Bear seen in the show. ]

 #: 563554 S5/Babylon 5: General
    20-Aug-96  14:25:04
Sb: #562618-Joe vs. Bears
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Actually, I've been remembering the script, and I'm reasonably sure the
teddy bear was added by the director, I don't think it was in the script.