ATTN JMS: To thank you

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sat Dec 7 06:09:48 EST 1996

Subject: ATTN JMS: To thank you
s  1: Dec  6, 1996: Byron & Christine Burel <bburel at ix.netcom.com>
*  2: Dec  7, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com

From: Byron & Christine Burel <bburel at ix.netcom.com>

Dear Joe,

It hit me the other night that Babylon 5 is indeed the "beacon" shining
in the night for me.  The night being the struggle to preserve the
sense of hope and optimism that I've tried to live my life by which it
seems got more veiled as I became older by responsibilities, by the
wish for leaders to look up to (as so many were assassinated in my
youth), by the wish for something greater than I knew --your show, the
writing, the acting, the caring that is stamped all over Babylon 5 has
reached deep inside and reawakened and reminded me of what it is I have
always been hoping for.  And the sort of scary thing is that until your
show I hadn't realized how what I used to feel naturally had been
obscured by the everyday duties of daily life.

 There are only a few writers that have ever gripped me so that my
outlook on the world is altered and before now they were only in the
novel form -- only "The Prisoner" as a television production ever
caught my imagination like this but that was a much grimmer world than
yours could ever be.  You have given us a stage on which morality is
very much the glue that holds the station and its people together.
Would that the powers that be in our government learn from this world
you've enriched us with.  I'm taping your shows and am looking forward
to the day when my 7- and 3- year-olds are able to enjoy them as much
as I have and to absorb the sense of values that are to be found in
your words and your world.

I'd also like to say that your giving of your time to your fans is also
quite a gift -- thanks for the connection with us -- this newsgroup and
your presence here has completed the circle of B5 -- it gives us a like
community -- I read your fans' words and your words here and feel a
part of something satisfying and good.  Many thanks for all you've
given to us; I don't feel "all alone in the night" anymore.

Sincerely,

Christine Burel

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com

Thanks.  Hope is one of the things that seems greatly missing from most
commercial entertainments, and if they do try to do something in this
area, it often tends to wander into the treacly or saccherine.  We have to
entertain, that is the requirement...but there has to be more, for me, for
it to be worth doing.

Thanks for the kind words.