JMS on CompuServe (Jul 03, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Wed Jul 3 12:27:16 EDT 1996

    Sb: #533603-Fan Club
    Sb: #533256-<severed dreams in UK>
    Sb: #533712-sci fi shows
    Sb: #533358-#Wallace & Grommit D.F.
    Sb: #533554-#Fan Club in the Uk
    Sb: #533688-<WWE2> <SPOILER> <GRIPE>
    Sb: #533433-ATTN:JMS - Review Shows
    Sb: #533599-"Don't wanna hear that!"

 #: 533888 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Jul-96  21:33:06
Sb: #533603-Fan Club
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The web page isn't up yet, WB is taking forever on the approval.

    01-Jul-96  22:01:14
Sb: #<severed dreams in UK>
Fm: WILLIAM H. DIPAOLA

>> Thanks.  The Television Thing to do would've been to have that moment of
victory, Sheridan saying the crisis is over, then fade to black...but it was
absolutely *vital* to go to the lower sections and see the human cost of that
victory.  War is never a bloodless game.<<

        I thought that was handled very well. The scenes of the aftermath from
the breaching pod invasion were extremely dramatic, and the way the camera
panned over to Garibaldi as Zack tried to help me was very powerful. I was
surprised to learn that Jerry Doyle had actually broken his arm during the
filming of that scene shortly after I first saw it, and that he allowed that
scene to be shot before even getting medical attention for the injury. The pain
in his face during that scene seemed so genuine that I couldn't help but take
an almost 'special' notice of it. When I found out why it all fit into place.
                Very commendable of him, and I hope I'm relaying this incident
correctly and that some of it isn't partially confused rumor of some sort.

 #: 533889 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Jul-96  21:33:07
Sb: #533256-<severed dreams in UK>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, that's what actually happened.  He's a trooper.

    02-Jul-96  16:50:30
Sb: #531990-#sci fi shows
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>> I got the two juxtaposed in my head.  So I misspoke myself.

Good...I trusted my source and was beginning to wonder...

In what context did Torme's name come up, if I may be so bold as to ask? I have
had my problems with Sliders (continuity, etc.) but he has consistently given
good explanations as to why he has not been allowed to show something and how
it was *supposed* to look. He *seems* to be making an honest effort to do the
subject matter justice with about a hundred times more interference that you
get, and I was wondering if this is an accurate assessment.

Phil ^^^^
FREE EARTH!

 #: 533890 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Jul-96  21:33:09
Sb: #533712-sci fi shows
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, everything I've heard concurs with your assessment.  Basically, we
have a lot of mutual friends in common, and the name just came up in
conversation.

                                                                    jms

   are going to be aired, in English, this Sunday in Munich.  He invites
   JMS to swing over and enjoy them on a big screen, Dolby surround, THX
   system. ]

 #: 533891 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Jul-96  21:33:12
Sb: #533358-#Wallace & Grommit D.F.
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      pfthpft

                                                                    jms

 #: 533892 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Jul-96  21:33:14
Sb: #533554-#Fan Club in the Uk
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Okay, we've got a reading on this.  All overseas/foreign Fan Club
memberships will be handled using Air Mail instead of ground, for the same
price.  We'll just eat the difference.  So memberships from the UK and
elsewhere can come on in now.

                                                                    jms

 #: 533688 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    02-Jul-96  16:28:18
Sb: #<WWE2> <SPOILER> <GRIPE>
Fm: KEVIN P. KENNEY

(Sorry if you got this twice.  I needed to move & retitle it.)

I have a gripe with the section where Delenn got into the spacesuit (...and out
of it sooo quickly). Yes it fit her character to do it.  But nothing happened
while she was in the suit that required her to be there - there was no plot
point served.  The only reason I think it was done was to have someone other
than the person expected in the suit when Sinclair touched it.

I wonder if this had been decided back when Babylon Squared was written, or if
joe was indulging himself a little.  Certainly, this breach of 'playing fair
with the audience' is fairly small. (Redefining 'the One', or killing a
character arbitrarily to avoid the audience's expectations would be more
serious breaches, f'rinstance.)  Perhaps a scene where Delenn did something
while suited was cut for time...

Just a thought.  See 'ya in San Diego
KpK

 #: 533893 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    02-Jul-96  21:33:16
Sb: #533688-<WWE2> <SPOILER> <GRIPE>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Of course, Delenn was trying to save Sheridan from blipping off forever
into the time stream, so it *did* serve that purpose as well, so it did work
within the plot.

                                                                    jms

   needing a detail for a new script. ]

 #: 534012 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Jul-96  02:07:06
Sb: #533433-ATTN:JMS - Review Shows
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Usually I carry it around in my head; if I need to quote verbatim from a
prior episode, for a flashback or the like, then I tend to drag out the script
and read it; it's easier than fast-forwarding through videotape.

      I do tend to rewatch episodes as they're aired in reruns, making sure
nothing untoward happens to them.

                                                                    jms

   discusses sexual topics is a reflection of current U.S. feelings on
   the subject, since she feels quite at ease discussing sexual matters. ]

 #: 534013 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Jul-96  02:07:08
Sb: #533599-"Don't wanna hear that!"
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      My sense is that these things tend to go in cycles; if you were around in
the Roaring Twenties, with flappers, jazz, and (to say the least) a lapse in
morals that went into the first part of the 1930s, you'd extrapolate from that
to say that the 1950s, by virtue of being 20 years down the road, would be even
MORE loose, more immoral, wilder.  But, in fact, the 50s were extremely
conservative.  And most of the SF of the time looked to a future that was as
button-down as the present of their writers.  Then the looser 60s and 70s, and
a rebirth of some extent of conservatism in the Reagan 80s and for health
reasons.

      The day someone perfects, and distributes, a guaranteed Aids vaccine, I
think you're going to see another sexual revolution that'll make the 60s look
like a dinner party.

      So by the time of B5, we're in a bit of a conservative swing again, in
terms of sexual matters (which often tends to come about post-war).