JMS on CompuServe (June 12, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 2/2

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Wed Jun 12 19:01:21 EDT 1996

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

    Sb: #522248-Series Renewal
    Sb: #522850-#B5 Renewal
    Sb: #523079-Fabulous Costumes
    Sb: #521350-<Point of No return>
    Sb: #521673-Bablyon 5 Beyond the Rim
    Sb: #521803-Last 5 When?

 #: 522248 S5/Babylon 5: General
    10-Jun-96  22:45:47
Sb: #Series Renewal
Fm: JOHN M. KAHANE

     Hullo, Joe,

     Just heard about the series renewal yesterday evening, in the post that
Lee Whiteside posted here, stating that John Copeland confirmed the series has
been renewed for the fourth season.

      What terrific news!  What a great way to start off the new week! <g>

      Congratulations!

          jmk

 #: 523230 S5/Babylon 5: General
    12-Jun-96  16:42:07
Sb: #522248-Series Renewal
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, we're very pleased.

    11-Jun-96  22:38:41
Sb: #B5 Renewal
Fm: RICK SHARON

Joe,

re: B5 Renewal

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Congratulations!!  My best wishes to you and the rest of your team, you all
have earned renewal.  I'm glad "the suits" concurred.  I, for one, can't wait
until the new episodes & start of season 4.  Keep up the GREAT work (but please
do also find some time to rest / relax during the "off season" / hiatus).
Great news indeed!

Yipeeee!  Time to party!!!

Rick Sharon

 #: 523231 S5/Babylon 5: General
    12-Jun-96  16:42:09
Sb: #522850-#B5 Renewal
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  Yes, the numbers and support led right to renewal.  I should
mention that the domestic ratings have grown enough that one of the major
station groups has committed its stations to return double-runs of episodes for
the coming year, so Los Angeles and a number of other markets will be getting
two showings per week again.

                                                                    jms

   designs and fabrics on B5. ]

 #: 523233 S5/Babylon 5: General
    12-Jun-96  16:42:14
Sb: #523079-Fabulous Costumes
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  Yes, the costumes are great.  Ann Bruice does a terrific job
finding fabrics which don't seem to be one thing or another; your eye just
sorta slides off them.  It's a very tough job.

                                                                    jms

   says that if "Severed Dreams" is like it, her heart will explode. ]

 #: 523235 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    12-Jun-96  16:42:19
Sb: #521350-<Point of No return>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, and Severed is even better....

                                                                    jms

 #: 521673 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    10-Jun-96  00:22:09
Sb: #Bablyon 5 Beyond the Rim
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

This is NOT to engage another "Will you extend Bablyon 5 beyond its current
5-year plan" request.

But, since B5 has occupied, in one form or another, such a major portion of
your life, its characters (major and minor) must occupy a certain permanent
portion of your imagination.  In your "Hours of the Wolf," (with the
uncertainties you must deal with as a creator/executive producer of a
syndicated show you must have a continuing series of "Hours of the Wolf), do
you ever get story ideas about the B5 characters that occur well outside of the
the megastory you've committed yourself to tell?  This, again, is NOT an
attempt/request to prod you into detouring from the future you wish for
yourself, but a curiousity as to how entrenched the characters of B5 have
become in your continent of imagination.

Add my most ecstatic congratulations to those who have already cybertrumpeted
the news of B5's renewal.  But, one further question.  Would it be helpful or
detrimental to start agitating at either the local or WB-macro level for a
guarantee (or as close as is possible in the fluid dynamics of syndicated
series) of a season 5?  Since you've indicated the possibility that you might
be required to compress seasons 4 and 5, is there any value to all of the
dedicated viewers stating up front that a compressed season is not an
acceptable option?

    - rje-

 #: 523236 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    12-Jun-96  16:42:20
Sb: #521673-Bablyon 5 Beyond the Rim
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  Yes, I sometimes do get notions for stories with our characters
outside the B5 arc.  Earlier stuff, later stuff...you just sorta file it away.
I'll probably never get to telling any of it, but it helps add truth to the
writing because I know what they're doing elsewhere and elsewhen.  Those tales
will probably never be told.

                                                                    jms

 #: 523237 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    12-Jun-96  16:42:23