JMS on CompuServe (Jun 30, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sun Jun 30 20:05:20 EDT 1996

    Sb: #531860-sci fi shows
    Sb: #531837-Slowly but Surely
    Sb: #531882-<Another Death?>
    Sb: #From jms re:Email

 #: 531860 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Jun-96  17:47:06
Sb: #530404-#sci fi shows
Fm: RAY PELZER

I just saw the Alien Invasion episode last night, and Tracy Torme' was still on
the credits, but I don't know if it's "new" season, or "unaired old".

   <potential spoiler>

       This plot device smacks a LOT of Quantum Leap's "Evil Leaper"

 #: 531990 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Jun-96  23:25:42
Sb: #531860-sci fi shows
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Okay, the error here was mine.  I was having dinner with a friend a few
weeks ago, and catching up on stuff (this friend also works in the TV biz) and
names were flying around...he mentioned that Michael Piller was no longer
involved in ST, and Tracy's name came up...and this is entirely my own fault, I
got the two juxtaposed in my head.  So I misspoke myself.

    29-Jun-96  16:03:21
Sb: #Slowly but Surely
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Hello, Joe.

Just wanted to drop you a line and tell you that I think I've finally started
to get through to by friends and family . . .

I've been reviewing my old tapes, and now my kids often ask me if I'm going to
watch "bablon five" (as they pronounce it).  If I answer in the affirmative, my
daughter asks if we're going to see Delenn with hair or Delenn with no hair.
:-)

Heck, even my wife has started to watch the show a bit when I watch. Her latest
comment came during Interludes, when she said "Marcus would never do that!"  Of
course, Marcus in this case is the old character Richard Biggs played on her
favorite soap. :-)  Oh, well, at least she's watching.

I've shown a few episodes to my father, a die-hard original Trek fan who thinks
*every* TV SF show is a Trek rip-off.  I found out he's also a Bruce Boxleitner
fan, though, so I think I've got him hooked. I showed him Ship of Tears,
because of Walter Koenig's appearance and he actually sat and watched it all
without a single "poor man's Star Trek" comment (his usual comment when I try
to show him any TV SF :-).

Finally, I managed to hook a co-worker, an ex-grunt marine, when I showed him
Severed Dreams.  Now he's asked if he can borrow my tapes. I've given him the
first 6 episodes of season one, and told him it gets better as everyone gets
more comfortable with their jobs. :-)

Anyway, slowly but surely, we're all adding viewers.  I thought you might like
to hear about a few examples.

Thanks,

 -- Brent

 #: 531991 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Jun-96  23:25:44
Sb: #531837-Slowly but Surely
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, I'll take all the help I can get....

                                                                    jms

   poster jokingly said, "so this means Minbari women are much more like
   Human women than we may have thought?" ]

 #: 531992 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    29-Jun-96  23:25:46
Sb: #531882-<Another Death?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Ah...sleeping on the couch again, are we...?

    30-Jun-96  14:08:52
Sb: #From jms re:Email
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Every once in a while I have to put this out as an FYI, so those of you
who know the routine, stand down...the rest of you...c'mere, Unca Straczynski
wants a word with you.

       From time to time, my personal email mailbox begins to fill up with
questions that really should be asked in public forums, and which require
lengthy, in-depth explanations.  (One such today asked me to explain, in
detail, the military hierarchy of Earthforce, relative strengths of ships, on
and on and on.  In itself, not a bad question...but asked in email, that means
that I have to answer the same thing for the next guy who asks, on and on and
on.)

       I can't get into detailed, exhaustive discussions of the plot or story
or characters *in private email*.  If your question is a good or a valid one,
it should be posted in a public forum, so that others can benefit from the
answer.  Otherwise either I end up writing pages of information over and over
again, and nobody else gets the information, or I just decline to answer the
question.

       The *only* reason for using email is if it's a personal or a
confidential question, or something you don't want to say on the nets for
whatever reason.  Please help me to keep my head above water by not using email
unless there's a valid reason for it.

       If there *is* something you need to express in email, please use the
genie address (straczynski at genie.geis.com) instead of the compuserve address,
because the CIS emailbox can only hold 100 letters at a time; any more than
that which arrive get bumped and sent back or deleted.  I lost an important
piece of email regarding B5 business today because it got shoved out by a
letter asking me to explain the differences in organization and accountability
to oders between the religious and military castes of Minbari.

       Bear in mind that with CTS, it *hurts* to type.  The more I type, the
more it hurts.  (Please don't send me any more info on CTS, btw...I have all
the available information on CTS, more than most doctors right now, and to type
a thank you note for each one that comes in just makes the problem worse.)  If
a question needs answering, better if I can answer it once, so everyone can see
it, than 15 times for one person at a time.  Every keystroke you see from me
comes with discomfort.

       Please try and use the email address(es) only if there's a valid reason
for it; otherwise, let others benefit from the sharpness and quality of your
question by asking it publicly.