JMS on GEnie: March 2, 1996

b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Mar 2 23:43:21 EST 1996

Forwarded message to B5JMS list.
Originally From: dstrauss at netcom.com (David Strauss)

Hi again.  Sorry I'm taking so long between posts, but life keeps me
busy.  :)  I'll try and get more efficient.

Spoiler protection for various season 3 episodes...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 626       Wed Feb 07, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 22:15 EST

     The problem is negotiating with them to let us show eps *out of sweeps*,
not in general.  They hate to let 'em go outside that, but we're building some
nice momentum, and I don't want to lose that.

     CtI's director was Mike Vejar, and yes, he's done a lot more for us this
season.

                                                                 jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 19,  Topic 32
Message 13        Wed Feb 07, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 22:12 EST

     Tom: yes, you just may get Ivanova talking about her relationship with
Talia in an unguarded moment a little later this season.

                                                                   jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 347       Thu Feb 08, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 20:55 EST

     Earl: there are sweeps periods in February, May, a small one in July, and
October is also very important.  That's 20+ weeks, and you have 22 shows.  The
math doesn't work out well for non-sweeps runs.

                                                            jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 353       Fri Feb 09, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 03:37 EST

     I have a nasty suspicion they're going to hold back 2-4 episodes to
jumpstart the next season, yes.

     Re: "secular humanism"...ain't no such critter, except as created by the
religious right to have a name for their collective enemy, which is anything
they don't like.

                                                                      jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 371       Fri Feb 09, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 21:56 EST

      We're close to getting them to agree on 8 episodes in a row, from April
2nd through to the end of May, 2 in July (maybe), and the last 3 in October.
We'll see, but we're close....

                                                                 jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 2
Message 516       Fri Feb 09, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 03:38 EST

      The network of light would've been the underground passages and tunnels
and lanes built there long ago.  As for Talia...who can say?

                                                                  jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 19,  Topic 32
Message 16        Thu Feb 08, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 01:51 EST

     Liz: thanks.  I think your analysis is quite apt, and on target.

     Tom: how long until things start going to hell?  Oh...say, around the end
of the month...?

                                                                    jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 19,  Topic 32
Message 21        Fri Feb 09, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 03:35 EST

      It was never stated that the Narns killed their telepaths.  The line
only states that they were exterminated.

      Yes, that was the same female psi cop from ARTDP, played by Judy Levitt,
Walter's wife, also a performer.

      Re: G'Kar...over the next several episodes, we'll see him, but he'll
still be imprisoned.  He has to serve his time, and since B5 runs on a year-to-
season timeline, that cuts across several episodes.  (It sounds weird, but I
try and treat this like future history; it "happened" in a sense, and I dive
in and pull out the stories from various points in this timeline.  Where
people are, is where they are.)

                                                                 jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 19,  Topic 32
Message 23        Fri Feb 09, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 16:14 EST

      I don't know who WB uses for the captioning; we've complained before.
We give them full scripts, but they just don't seem to use them.

                                                                    jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 19,  Topic 32
Message 26        Sat Feb 10, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 03:27 EST

     Rarely do people think, "I'll do bad to do bad."  The monster rarely sees
a monster in the mirror.  We have reasons, or what we think are reasons, and
rationales when a reason can't be found.

     And yes, it was a memory of the voice, not a re-projection.

                                                                  jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 408       Sat Feb 10, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 22:06 EST

     Actually, there *are* a bunch of heavy arc episodes in the middle, so
we're okay (and that includes the two parter).

     Re: the Rod story...sigh...okay, quickie version: I've always been a
writer.  Began writing and selling while still in high school.  One day the
school had Career Day, a Saturday, I think, at a nearby junior college.  All
the schools sent kids from various departments to demonstrate their skills:
gymnastics, dance, art, science, a bunch of others...and writing.

     So they stuck about 6-7 of us into a hot, stuffy room a bit off the
beaten track -- 'cause who wants to see writers anyway? -- where nobody would
accidentally wander in.  I sat there at my table, some marginally SF/mainly
horror short stories on the table in front of me, and maybe 3 people came in
the whole day.  I even made up a sign, DO NOT FEED OR ANNOY THE WRITER and put
it in front of me.  Nada.

     Right toward the end of the day, a fellow walked in -- slightly below
average height, suntanned, craggy, salt and pepper hair, wearing a corduroy
jacket and open shirt -- and wandered along the tables.  Just killing time.
Stopped in front of my table.  Saw the stories.  Picked one up, walked over to
the lawn chairs, sat in one, read it.  Returned it, picked up another, read
that one.  Came back.  Studied me for a moment.  I had no idea who the guy
was, though there was something vaguely familiar about him.  (When you see
someone out of context, that happens.)

     After a moment, he spoke, and this is what he said: "You have a great and
substantial talent for someone your age.  Two pieces of advice: first, never
let them stop you from telling the story you want to tell; second, cut every
third adjective."  Then he walked out.

     I was still processing this when the school advisor came racing toward me
at mach 7.  "What did he say?  What did he say?  Whatdidhesay?"  I told her.
She was astonished at my calm.  "Don't you know who that WAS?  That's Rod
Serling.  He's here to give a talk at the college tonight, I guess he came in
a little early to walk around a bit --"

     I never heard the rest of it as I sped out the door, hoping to catch him.
I looked all over the place, on that cool afternoon, and couldn't find him.
True to the Twilight Zone, he blipped in and blipped out again.

                                                                   jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 441       Mon Feb 12, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 00:54 EST

      If I wanted to do a stunt, sure, I could do it.  I don't like doing
stunts.  Also, SAAB is primarily an action show; B5 is a drama with some
aspects of an action show.  If anything, I have to work to make the feel of
the show different from SAAB, otherwise you have two shows on that are much
the same.  And what's the point of that?  That said, I'll be curious to see
your reaction to 8 and 10's cgi.

     Main reason I did all of three was just the amount of changes involved
this season.  Things settle down in some ways by the end of the season, in
that the chairs stop switching around a bit.

                                                                  jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 12
Message 483       Sat Feb 10, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 22:11 EST

     Starburst is going to dedicate an entire *issue* to B5, possibly doing an
expanded issue to get it all in.  The main editor came out here to personally
conduct the interviews.

     Also, Millimeter Magazine -- one of the foremost publications of the
TV/film industry -- has given us an entire cover and an inside feature in an
upcoming issue; they rarely give you both, they only do it 4 times in a year,
usually for something extraordinary.  They've noticed that we're quietly
revolutionizing TV, and they're going to be one of the first to document it in
the professional media area.

     Look for a brief Showbiz Today piece on CNN over the next few days, a
Dennis Michael's Hollywood Minute or something...they were here during the two-
parter, and are going to promote Sinclair's return to the station.

     TV Guide has stated that they will do a B5 story in their summer SF
issue.  I think the reaction from fans sent them a message.

                                                                      jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 12
Message 497       Mon Feb 12, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 18:32 EST

     As I recall, when the Warners web site for B5 went up at pathfinder, it
logged 460,000 hits in the first month; when the AOL site went up, I think it
was accessed about 200,000 times in the first month.

                                                                     jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 23
Message 317       Mon Feb 12, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 00:57 EST

     It's a long process.  The stations were pitched the show at NATPE for
pickup, but we haven't heard anything, and won't really for a while.  The
stations begin to make their decisions *after* NATPE, one at a time, and those
haven't really had anything to say about this since.  We'll probably know
about the same time we always know, sometime in April, maybe early May.

                                                                   jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 462       Tue Feb 13, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 03:06 EST

     You contract with the actors per episode, pay or play.  If you hire them
for 22 episodes, with a guarantee of x-thousand dollars per episode, they get
it if they're in every scene, half the scenes, or not in it at all.

                                                                   jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 2
Message 269       Mon Feb 12, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 22:49 EST

     Actually, the first was Julie Musante in "VoA," which is also a combined
name of two people who bought in together.

     (And the other name you're thinking of is Karen Lee.)

                                                               jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 2
Message 273       Tue Feb 13, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 03:09 EST

     Correction: she didn't ask him if he would himself violate regs, she
asked him about reporting others, mainly for speaking out.  There's a
difference.

                                                                     jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 478       Tue Feb 13, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 22:37 EST

      WC4 is out finally?  Sigh...oh, well, there goes the rest of the season.
(Actually, I'd seen a demo and 15 minute behind-the-scenes reel on this a
while ago, it looks *great*.)

      Yes, B5 is under $900,000 per episode.  Sometimes I think what I could
do on this show with a million bucks.  Or $1.6-$1.8 as in ST.  Or $2 million
in SAAB.  Frankly, I think I could conquer the world.

      Keep an eye peeled on CNN/Headline News today; they're doing a brief
piece on Michael O'Hare and Bruce working together on B5's two parter.
Interviews with both.

       Good news.  We've finally convinced Warner Bros./PTEN to go with eight
new episodes in a row, starting the first week of April.  The new schedule,
which just went out via fax to the stations today, is as follows:

       NEW EPISODES:
       2/12    EXOGENESIS
       2/19    MESSAGES FROM EARTH
       2/26    POINT OF NO RETURN              (w/Majel Barrett)

       RERUNS:
       3/4     FALL OF NIGHT
       3/11    THERE ALL THE HONOR LIES
       3/18    AND NOW FOR A WORD
       3/25    IN THE SHADOW OF Z'HA'DUM

       NEW EPISODES:
       4/1     SEVERED DREAMS
       4/8     CEREMONIES OF LIGHT AND DARK
       4/15    SIC TRANSIT VIR
       4/22    A LATE DELIVERY FROM AVALON     (w/Michael York)
       4/29    SHIP OF TEARS                   (w/Walter Koenig)
       5/6     INTERLUDES AND EXAMINATIONS
       5/13    WAR WITHOUT END: PART ONE       (w/Michael O'Hare)
       5/20    WAR WITHOUT END: PART TWO

       We're now in the process of working to get 2 new episodes in July, so
there are only 3 left for October.  Even so, we're very excited to get a
chance to show eight episodes in a row, building up to the end of the May
sweeps with our big two-parter.

                                                                       jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 494       Wed Feb 14, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 19:13 EST

     Speaking of schedules, I heard today (for our friends in the UK) that
Channel 4 over there will be running year 3 starting mid-April at 6:00 p.m.
SUNDAY, rather than a weekday, in response to the many requests from viewers
unable to make it home from work in time.  (Apparently part of their charter
forbids them from airing US-made shows in prime time.)  Not only that, but
after the year 3 run, they're going to go back and run all of seasons 1 and 2
over the rest of the summer on a daily basis.

     Also, Richard Biggs is currently in London, getting mobbed by interviews.
Expect to see them popping up soonish.

                                                                 jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 510       Thu Feb 15, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 01:37 EST

     Mike: no, sorry, it's nothing to do with control.  A script doesn't just
have dialogue, and the director shoots whatever he wants otherwise.   Scripts
in general don't allow for that, and scripts in B5 *definitely* don't run that
way.  The lights blipping out on either side of Sinclair, moving ever closer
in "Sky?"  In the script.  Every frame of the montage leading up to Turhan's
fall in "Coming?"  In the script.  The intercutting between G'Kar and the
fleet, in sequence, in "Twilight?"  In the script.

     Writers write the silences too.

                                                         jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 522       Fri Feb 16, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 01:24 EST

     Mike, the problem that I have is that virtually all the items you  list
are, fundamentally, just gimmicks.  Gimmicks invariably add nothing to a show;
if anything, they detract from it by announcing "HEY!  OVER HERE!  LOOK!  I'M
DIFFERENT THIS WEEK!"  It becomes self-conscious.  If you're not noticing the
editing or the rhythm really, then that's good, because that stuff should be
fairly invisible, should get out of the wya (way) of the story and the
characters.

     That said, we *do* break the format once in a while.  "And Now For A
Word" is probably the biggest example of this.  We're doing more montage and
narrative this season than before.  There's some compelling stuff in "Avalon"
that's all in black and white...but you do it only sparingly, for dramatic
effect, not just to do something different this week.  Every show in time
develops a "house style" of directing, editing, music and the like, which is
its own, like a writer's style.  That's not a bad thing.

                                                                    jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 541       Sat Feb 17, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 01:50 EST

     RE: dialogue as free-form verse...there's a certain measure of truth to
this, and it's mostly a good thing, though every once in a while it can get in
the way.  A lot of my dialogue has a rhythm to it, which comes out mostly
unintentionally.  (On one script a few years ago, someone pointed  out to me
that three whole pages of script had dialogue which was written fairly close
to being iambic pentameter from start to finish).

     I love the ebb and flow of language, and sometimes have to work a bit
against that, to keep it from becoming, for lack of a better term, lyrical.
 I'll look at a sentence and balance it back and forth until it *feels* right,
and flows properly, one into the next.

                                                                     jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 560       Sun Feb 18, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 18:47 EST

      I tried to convince TPTB about "B-Squared" but it didn't fly.

                                                                 jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 572       Sun Feb 18, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 23:38 EST

      We remixed the audio of the opening sequence to make Claudia'  voice
stand out more clearly.

                                                                      jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 2
Message 311       Sun Feb 18, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 18:48 EST

     Jason was also in Lois and Clark as a musician who sues Supes, and was a
recurring Bad Guy in Viper.

                                                                    jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 19,  Topic 34
Message 9         Sun Feb 18, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 18:44 EST

      It wasn't in this episode, it's in another.  My take on Garibaldi is
that he doesn't say more than he has to, particularly not in front of a
relative stranger (Kirkish).  She confirmed his story, but he's always careful
on how much he reveals in front of a relative outsider.

                                                                      jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 588       Tue Feb 20, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 04:14 EST

     For those who might be interested in meeting him, Harlan Ellison will be
speaking at the Cartoon Art Museum at 814 Mission Street in San Francisco on
March 1st from 6-8 p.m.  The event is a fund-raiser for the museum.  Tickets
are $15 for non-members, $7.50 for members of the museum. For info, call 415-
CARTOON.

                                                                 jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 19,  Topic 34
Message 11        Tue Feb 20, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 03:58 EST

     The executive producer thinks, "He's mistaken, has to be; it must be a
series of patterns in the image that look like a city."

     Being a thorough person, however, the executive producer fires up his
copy of the tape, and fast forwards to the shot in question.  Pauses, then
advances, frame by frame.

     Then stops.  The executive producer stares at the screen for a very, very
long time.  Eventually, words form.  The executive producer knows that if he
posts those words here, not only will they throw him off the system, they will
come to his house, burn it down, and sow the ground with salt.

     The executive producer knows what that single frame is, knows that it has
nothing to do with his show, knows that it's a frame from Hypernauts that
somehow crossed into the EFX shot in double-exposure via a computer glitch
while rendering.  No one saw it.  No one noticed it.  Until now.

     Tomorrow morning, the executive producer is going to make phone calls,
and say all the words he can't say here.  When he is finished, twenty seven
miles of telephone coaxial cable are going to hang melted from the telephone
poles.  Shortly thereafter, the executive producer is going to put a gun to
his head and blow his brains out, in the sure knowledge that if he does not do
so, he will most assuredly do it to someone else.

     The executive producer thanks you for bringing this to his attention, and
would write further, but is currently modeming from a laptop computer on top
of his roof, from which he is considering jumping, and the wind up here is
causing line noise.

                                                                      jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 601       Wed Feb 21, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 01:20 EST

      If you wish to avoid spoilers, do NOT read the TV guide highlight or
synopsis for next week's episode, "Point of No Return."

                                                                    jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 613       Thu Feb 22, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 00:30 EST

     TV Guide writes its own synopses, based on longer summaries provided by
studios/networks.

                                                                  jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 628       Fri Feb 23, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 01:49 EST

     As I understand it, one of the problems with Lonesome  Dove that led to
its fate was that it was a very expensive show to make, a substantial number
of over-budget situations, and that made it problematic (cost much greater
than ratings allowed).  So far, B5 is still running at or under budget.

                                                                    jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 636       Sat Feb 24, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 04:56 EST

      You make the mistake lots of people do...they think that you can go over
mainly on cast.  The more location shooting you do, the more expensive the
show gets.  They did a LOT of location shooting.  And then you've got horses,
stunts, other areas, and they had a tendency to go overtime, which is
inevitable on location when you start losing the light and have other logical
complications, and overtime on a set can really hurt you.

                                                                    jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 647       Sat Feb 24, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 23:09 EST

     It's hard to crystallize my sense on the odds of renewal this season
because, with PTEN effectively gone, it's hard to get a handle on what's
happening.  Last time, each year we'd go before the executive committee,
explain what we had in mind for the coming year, and when you left the room
you had at least a rough sense of what was coming.  (They never look you in
the eye when they're going to cancel you.)  But this time, it's WB domestic
distribution's wizards selling the show station by station.

     The only thing I do know is that so far I've heard of a number of
stations agreeing to pick up the show again -- Spokane, San Antonio, Seattle,
Portland, San Francisco, others -- and so far I haven't heard of anybody NOT
opting to do so.  So basically...so far, so good.

                                                                       jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 670       Tue Feb 27, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 00:53 EST

     Mike: we make this show for under $900,000 per episode.  We get as
extravagant as we can.  And yes, we will be seeing Minbar this season; also
the Narn homeworld.

                                                                 jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 2
Message 344       Sat Feb 24, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 23:10 EST

     Yodels...?

     Funny Bones or nothing.

                                                                  jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 2
Message 348       Sun Feb 25, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 19:27 EST

     They would need something that can be constructed quickly, on a distant,
small world.  A geodesic dome is perfect for those conditions.

                                                                  jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 2
Message 353       Mon Feb 26, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 02:43 EST

     Garibaldi wouldn't mention too much about Sinclair in front of a relative
stranger (albeit a useful one) in his absence.  He's that way.

                                                                    jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 2
Message 364       Tue Feb 27, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 00:57 EST

     Foyle: I heartily disagree.  For several reasons: given that space travel
is now fairly common, you want to make sure nobody flying by can get a good
look at it, and most definitely that nobody can get NEAR it without walking
through a series of checkpoints.  In the open, you can not control access, and
in a *top secret* project like this, you need to make sure only the right
people get in.  In addition, it helps to move around the thing and perform
experiments if you pressurize the area and put in an atmosphere, otherwise
you're stuck in EVA suits all the time.   It makes construction and everything
else twice as hard and inefficient.  Also, a geodesic dome can be opened or
pulled back or off fairly easily under that low a gravity level; many sports
arenas use a modified dome structure that can open very wide.

                                                                     jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 2
Message 367       Tue Feb 27, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 17:40 EST

     InterLAC...Interstellar Language/Arithmetic Code.  What, somebody got a
problem with that?

                                                                  jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 26
Message 473       Fri Feb 23, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 01:50 EST

     Last time, I'm told, the B5 panels were the biggest events of both the
Chicago and San Diego Comic Cons, so in all these conditions, show up early.
(The last room at SDCC held, what, 1000 people?  And folks were still lined up
along the wall and out the door.)

                                                                    jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 19,  Topic 34
Message 63        Sat Feb 24, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 23:05 EST

     Given that, in contravention to general Talmudic practice, Ivanova got
involved with Talia, I think it is fair to say that she has eaten many things
that are not kosher.

     Re: the sound...yes, it is best heard on a full-surround system.   When
the shadow appears over the bunker on Mars, we start the sound in the rear
speakers, then move it forward as the shadow vessel advances.  It's real
creepy....

                                                                    jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 19,  Topic 34
Message 67        Sun Feb 25, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 05:04 EST

     J.Brock...good reaction.  Because we're going to do it to you one more
time soonish.

     Fenn: what?  what?  Oh!  Hey, get your mind out of the gutter, what EVER
are you talking about?  Why *I* said nothing offensive in the least.  It's all
interpretation.

                                                                      jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 19,  Topic 34
Message 93        Mon Feb 26, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 00:05 EST

     Some or most of the exterior of the bunker was virutal; the inside was
real.

     BTW, a bit of trivia...the bit about Minbari not liking to sleep in the
horizontal because it implies tempting death...there's a background to this.
That was an actual part of Medeival culture, particularly in England.  If you
look at beds from Shakespeare's time, you will note that they tend to be
uncommonly short; they used to make them that way, and then pile up pillows at
the other end to keep the head and most of the  back raised well OUT of the
horizontal, for that very reason.

     Sometimes our own history, redressed and presented to us in alien terms,
can be really the most alien things of all....

                                                                   jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 19,  Topic 34
Message 99        Mon Feb 26, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 02:41 EST

     Yes, Jason handled most of that fight himself, including the run up the
side of the wall.

                                                                   jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 19,  Topic 35
Message 8         Sun Feb 25, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 19:25 EST

     dj...thanks.  I think they used some of the battle footage we saw on the
monitors in the zocalo for the promo.

                                                                   jms
 ------------
SFRT II RoundTable
Category 18,  Topic 1
Message 431       Fri Mar 01, 1996
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 02:05 EST

     Tapcis is fairly easy to use, fairly intuitive; it's what I use over
there.  The X-files rumor is simply, flatly untrue; I hadn't even heard it
until now.

     Re: congress, the President and violence...it'll take them 2 years to get
the v-chip going, work everything out...B5 will be gone by 98, so it's a moot
point.  As far as violence goes, we're fairly discreet, haven't done that much
on-screen...the more naughty bits are usually so subtle, so subversively out-
of-the-corner-of-your-eye that it'd be hard for them to pick any one thing to
go after.  And given that we're about the only show around that really gives
religion a decent treatment, I suspect they'd be loathe to mess with us.  So I
think we're okay.