JMS on CompuServe (Mar 14, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett brent.barrett at 24stex.com
Thu Mar 14 15:04:53 EST 1996

 [ Note from Brent: Before you ask, no I cannot forward
   your questions to JMS.  He has asked that questions
   not originating from CIS accounts not be posted to
   CIS.  He encourages all of us to wait for the
   moderated USENET group, to which he plans to
   subscribe. ]

 #: 469485 S5/Babylon 5: General
    13-Mar-96  12:28:06
Sb: #469317-#Other Arc Series
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I think they have the potential to become very popular, if done right;
if they're treated as novels, which means you're going to be tied to the
quality of the person telling the story.  If it's just done as a gimmick, then
arc-series won't hit it.  My sense is that since over the next few years series
may end up having shorter runs due to the massive amount of available
programming, why not build it to turn that to an advantage?

                                                                       jms

 #: 469486 S5/Babylon 5: General
    13-Mar-96  12:28:08
Sb: #469318-#The "whys"
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Well, you've just asked two questions disgused as one; why do *I* feel I
need to tell this story, and why should this story *need* to be told.

       I need to tell this story because it won't let go.  The only way to get
rid of it is to tell it.  Because I think it may be important.  It needs to be
told because I think it has some ideas we need to hear, and because it's time
somebody did a saga like this to help reinterpret some myths at a time when we
very badly need our myths.

    13-Mar-96  09:22:28
Sb: #469329-#8 NEW B5 EPS!
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>       We knew last year that Kung Fu would only go 4 seasons, as that was
what PTEN needed to make the production worthwhile.  88 episodes is a good
average syndication package.

Does this tend to indicate that B5 is likely safe for a Season 4, but that
Season 5 will be more difficult to sell?

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 469487 S5/Babylon 5: General
    13-Mar-96  12:28:09
Sb: #469409-8 NEW B5 EPS!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       It's too early to tell if the Kung Fu situation will have any impact on
B5.

                                                                       jms

 #: 469727 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-Mar-96  22:57:24
Sb: #469204-#Rumor: B-5 canceled?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yes, as I recall, last May we were told that year four would almost
certainly be the last for Kung Fu.  Which is no secret; all parties pretty much
knew that going into the renewal period.

                                                                       jms

   as they don't look too big, but we've seen really large ships and even
   battle groups emerge from jumpgates. ]

 #: 469735 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Mar-96  00:09:30
Sb: #469509-#Jumpgate dimensions
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       They're pretty big...but because they're not anchored, they can (and do)
move apart to accommodate larger ships when necessary.

                                                                       jms

   B5 completes its run. ]

 #: 469736 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Mar-96  00:09:32
Sb: #469512-Other Arc Series
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       If B5 goes its full five years, I think I'd probably prefer to get out
of TV and go back to writing novels and plays.

    13-Mar-96  14:27:28
Sb: #469486-#The "whys"
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>> It needs to be told because I think it has some ideas we need to hear, and
because it's time somebody did a saga like this to help reinterpret some myths
at a time when we very badly need our myths.

I don't think it could be said any better. You and I just had a discussion
about McCarthyism etc. and what we were both dancing around is that no one
really *believes* in America anymore. I scream "it couldn't happen here" at the
top of my lungs because, while I am *totally* dedicated to objective reality in
*every other* aspect of my life, I simply can't *bear* to look down the road 30
years at what our *intense* cynicism is creating.

It is one thing to be a realist, it is another to simply be so wound up and
angry that you *hate* the thought of anyone being motivated by an instinct
toward cooperation.

I mean, that's what myths *are*. Stories about people who *could* be better off
in the immediate term, by doing ill, but, because they are mythic figures, Do
The Right Thing, and are seen in a good light (be it comic or tragic) at the
end of the story.

Like perhaps the one about the wealthiest man in North America, who risked life
and fortune to defend a nation, turning down a crown, and walking the path of
Cinncinatus. A man who could leave us no sons to carry on his name and whose
only legacy is the liberty of *260 Million* people.

Sounds like it would make a good story...

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 469737 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Mar-96  00:09:33
Sb: #469517-#The "whys"
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Of course, there are many who don't see such people in a Good Light;
even Washington had people out smearing his name every day (which, among more
altruistic reasons, was why he didn't want to stay in charge forever). We are
never so greatly appreciated as when we're safely and conveniently deceased.

                                                                       jms

   he knows if she'll be a semi-regular on the show. ]

 #: 469739 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Mar-96  00:09:40
Sb: #469668-AT on JAG?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I have no idea what Andrea's going to be doing, or how much.

                                                                       jms

   "going to be bald from pulling my hair out!  The tension of waiting as
   it all unfolds!"  Then goes on to say that if he has to wait for
   "something," then B5 is one of the best "somethings" he's run across in
   a long time. ]

 #: 469740 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Mar-96  00:09:41
Sb: #469702-Thought from jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks....

                                                                       jms

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *
 *          -- Watch Babylon-5! --           *

-*** <b5jms-owner at majordomo.cs.columbia.edu>.  If you want to send your
-*** reply to someone else, make sure the "To:" header line is correctly
-*** set.  COPYRIGHT NOTICE: You may NOT repost any messages appearing in
-*** this B5JMS list/digest to any other forum without prior permission from
-*** all of the respective authors.