JMS on CompuServe (May 07, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 1/2

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue May 7 15:46:19 EDT 1996

    Sb: #500632-<Ship of Tears-Bester>
    Sb: #500636-#>>Interludes<<
    Sb: #500641-#<Ship of Tears>
    Sb: #500646-#<Women on B5>
    Sb: #500677->>Interludes<<
    Sb: #500693-#>>Interludes<<
    Sb: #500715-#Poisoning Kosh
    Sb: #500739-#<Women on B5>
    Sb: #501183-#Last Prisioner
    Sb: #500911-#JMS: gun port=respect?
    Sb: #500868-#Poisoning Kosh
    Sb: #500924-Jeff Sinclair
    Sb: #501034-season finale in October
    Sb: #500944-Delenn and G'Kar
    Sb: #501080-Babylon 5 on video?

 #: 500632 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    05-May-96  23:13:13
Sb: #500600-#<Ship of Tears-Bester>
Fm: MARK D. SMITH

Joe,

Question about Bester.  Will he continue to or begin to covertly assist B5
while Carolyn and the rest of the teeps are on board?

Mark

 #: 500879 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-May-96  13:27:48
Sb: #500632-<Ship of Tears-Bester>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yes, that'll be something Bester will do now.

                                                                       jms

 #: 500636 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    05-May-96  23:29:33
Sb: #>>Interludes<<
Fm: TONI MULLER

Just watched it a second time and had a couple more questions:

In the very beginning Morden shows an unidentified man some crystals.  Then he
kills the man and takes the crystals.  Later it appears that this was the
poison used on Adira.  If that is so, then how did Morden know about her before
he talked with the man Vir made the arrangements with?  Or was it something
else - something to do with Kosh?

Delenn looked uncomfortable when talking with Sheridan in the War Room.  Is
this because of what she is hiding - like knowing what the Shadows want?

How did Kosh know what would happen to him if the Vorlons fought the Shadows?
Since he is the link between the Vorlons and the army of light, did he simply
realize that the Shadows would move to sever that link, or is there more to it?

And why couldn't Kosh successfully defend himself?  Was he outnumbered three to
one, one Shadow being equal in strength to one Vorlon?  It makes sense he
wouldn't call for help from his own people because that could turn the attack
into a full-scale battle right at B5.

BTW, today is my husband's birthday and on the way to his birthday dinner I
mentioned that I had watched B5 and that it was incredible.  His response:
"Why'd you have to tell me that?  Now I'm going to eat too fast so I can go
watch it!"  We're definitely hooked.

Toni

 #: 500880 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-May-96  13:27:49
Sb: #500636-#>>Interludes<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       The "crystals" were diamonds, he was bribing various people to let him
in and otherwise do things for him.  And yes, Delenn's holding back some
information still, and Kosh was outnumbered.

                                                                       jms

   the telepaths was the same race that abducted Sheridan in "All Alone in
   the Night."  Also, wonders what Bester was smiling at when he turned
   around in the docking bay, before going around the corner to see the
   guards. ]

 #: 500881 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-May-96  13:27:51
Sb: #500641-#<Ship of Tears>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       There's no relation between the aliens working for the shadows and the
Streib.  The ones you saw in the flash were "doctors" of a sort doing the work;
there was no abduction required except of course the covert kidnapping from the
Psi Corps Re-education Center.  As for Bester's look behind, he was just
looking to the guards behind him, and the ones in front of him.

                                                                       jms

   here" comment was sexist, just dated.  She goes on to disagree with JMS
   about the chances of women surviving in the water after a ship sinking. ]

 #: 500882 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-May-96  13:27:52
Sb: #500646-#<Women on B5>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       True, a woman's added body fat layer can help them cope with the
temperatures, but if the sea is roiling and choppy, it takes a lot of upper
body strength to stay afloat.

                                                                       jms

 #: 500677 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-May-96  02:52:57
Sb: #500606-#>>Interludes<<
Fm: TRENT K. JOHNSON

I think I've flat run out of superlatives, Joe.

Interludes made me feel similar to the way I felt after Chrysalis. Sinclair's
"Everything's changing..." came back full force.

The confrontation between Kosh and Sheridan was chilling, to say the least. I
think that one scene defines the difference between Sinclair and Sheridan.
Somehow, I just couldn't feature Sinclair getting into it like Sheridan did.
But, Sheridan did *exactly* what I was expecting.  It should be very
interesting to see how the two of them work (or don't work) together.

The death scene was tremendously moving, indeed.  And I'm grateful you spared
us the image of the "spiders" pulling the wings off the "angel". Don't think I
could've taken that.

Franklin:  Extremely well executed.  Richard's performance was great.  I don't
know if it was a trick of the light, but I had noticed subtle makeup changes,
especially around his eyes, in parts of previous episodes. (Avalon, in
particular).  Somehow I knew he was losing his battle.  I'm curious to see what
he does next.

When Sheridan asks rhetorically about the Shadow's motives, you could see the
pain in Delenn's face.  She *knows*.

And Londo.  Geez, how many of Morella's "chances" did he blow *this* time? Yow!
For a second, I thought he had Morden cold.

The Vorlon battle sequence was astonishing!  The way the red ship caught, held
and then rammed the Shadow vessel (concentrating fire at the "heart" all the
while)...but the cost...

And thanks for giving some more names to faces for the alien races.

After it was all over 4 lines are still with me:  "I don't care!",
"DISOBEDIANT!!!", "I want revenge.  Nothing else matters. The rest of the
galaxy can burn!", and...

"Kosh!"

Trent/ReAnimators
                  ^^^^                           CD-RMES

 #: 500883 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-May-96  13:27:53
Sb: #500677->>Interludes<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks.  Yes, I don't think Sinclair would've handled that scene in the
same way; it needed someone who'd go toe to toe with something very old and
dark and dangerous in his way.  He had to get under Kosh's "skin," as it were.
Needle and outrage and upset him until he got through...whatever the cost.

                                                                       jms

   doesn't just arrest Morden. ]

 #: 500884 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-May-96  13:27:55
Sb: #500693-#>>Interludes<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       They would do so, but since the fall from Earth, as Susan mentioned,
they've had to hire guards who may not be above bribes, as we saw in the
teaser.  And Morden is good at covering his footsteps.

    06-May-96  06:02:18
Sb: #500588-#Poisoning Kosh
Fm: DANIEL M. UPTON

>> What's really left to address?  The reasons given were the reasons; the
Minbari warrior caste were very much against the Babylon project; an extremist
clan within that caste decided to frame Sinclair for murder, using what little
info they had on the vorlons, in an attempt to destabalize or defeat the goals
of B5.<<

The only thing left to address is the most important part.  Why did Kosh
cooperate with the effort to poison him?

Dan^^^^
danupton at blueridge.net

 #: 500885 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-May-96  13:28:00
Sb: #500715-#Poisoning Kosh
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Kosh extended a hand...because he recognized Sinclair.

       Which is all I'll say for now.

                                                                       jms

   children down here" line tries to claify that she didn't think JMS or B5
   was being sexist, nor was she trying to voice any sort of agenda; She
   merely expressed her own, personal reaction to the line. ]

 #: 500886 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-May-96  13:28:01
Sb: #500739-#<Women on B5>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Okay; understood, thanks.

                                                                       jms

 #: 501226 S2/Star Trek: General
    06-May-96  21:44:14
Sb: #501183-#Last Prisioner
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, last I heard, the Prisoner movie has hit critical mass, and will
indeed happen, with McGoohan both writing the script and exec producing.

                                                                         jms

   result of confusion over gun ports and why the Minbari would ever think
   it was a friendly gesture. ]

 #: 501227 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-May-96  21:44:17
Sb: #500911-#JMS: gun port=respect?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Bottom line, Steven...what you're doing is applying not only just Earth
norms and standards of behavior to aliens, you're applying distinctly Western
modes of behavior, conduct and mentality.  You're expecting them to think and
act like we do, in the way we consider logical.  You can't even apply that
criteria to other countries right here on Earth, let alone outside.  Is it
logical to one day just walk away from all your possessions, just leave them
where they are, and start walking, not coming back?  Here we consider that
abnormal behavior, abandoment...in Australia, among the Aboriginal culture,
that principle is called "walkabout" and is quite common and accepted behavior.
The idea of ritually mutilating a young woman's genitals is a hideous, terrible
notion to any sane person in this country...but in many African nations, it's
practiced quite commonly, on an everyday basis as part of their notion of
coming into womanhood.

      Part of having *alien* aliens is that they don't think like us.  One big
adjustment Americans rarely make when they go overseas is that they expect
everyone and everyplace to be just like home in attitude.  But there are huge
differences...and those differences can start wars.

                                                                       jms

   suit in the pilot. ]

 #: 501228 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-May-96  21:44:18
Sb: #500868-#Poisoning Kosh
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It didn't have to get past the encounter suit; he was distinctly shown
extending a portion of himself *outside* the suit.

    06-May-96  14:12:17
Sb: #500590-#Jeff Sinclair
Fm: JEFF FRANK

>> #: 500590 S5/Babylon 5: General  [SFMEDONE]
      06-May-96  01:01:46
   Sb: #499624-Jeff Sinclair
   Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 <<

You are one sick man Joe!  You couldn't have hardly gotten off the plane from

Columbus by the time you posted this.

Hope you, Rick and Pat enjoyed yourselves; we non-guests enjoyed your
collective presence.

Jeff
Sigh Corps - Pat Tallman Division
Dictator of Michigan and the Great Lakes Region
Auditor General
Fear RMES! - Everywhere for *your* convenience

P.S. -- Demon Night keeps asking about the postcard.  I told him you got it
but he doesn't believe me.

 #: 501230 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-May-96  21:44:22
Sb: #500924-Jeff Sinclair
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It was a great convention, thanks.

                                                                    jms

 #: 501231 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-May-96  21:44:24
Sb: #501034-season finale in October
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      All episodes of B5 are closed captioned as a rule, unless something goes
wrong at some point.

                                                                 jms

   that she and the Grey Council kept information from him which might have
   helped his people. ]

 #: 501232 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-May-96  21:44:26
Sb: #500944-Delenn and G'Kar
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...it's a nifty little scene.

    06-May-96  17:33:58
Sb: #Babylon 5 on video?
Fm: JOHN L. FJELLSTAD

Do you have any plans to release Babylon 5 on video?  I missed the first season
and most of the second season and would love to see the episodes that I missed.

John
 WARPing around the Globe

 #: 501233 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-May-96  21:44:28