JMS on CompuServe (May 16, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 2/2

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu May 16 15:43:41 EDT 1996

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

    Sb: #506519-Joe an atheist?
    Sb: #506470-<Bester's Appearance>
    Sb: #506615-The Creative Process
    Sb: #506724-Joe an atheist?
    Sb: #506643-The Creative Process
    Sb: #506677-Cheers for Mira
    Sb: #506664-<<War Without End>>
    Sb: #506683-<War Without End, Pt 1>
    Sb: #506675-<<Spitfires>>
    Sb: #506716->>War Without End: 1<<
    Sb: #506727->>War Without End: 1<<
    Sb: #506725-B5 Story Arc

 #: 506519 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-May-96  17:49:41
Sb: #506430-#Joe an atheist?
Fm: TOM KNUDSEN

Joe,

        <people who spend a day in my company invariably come away with the
suspcion that there's considerably less there than meets the eye.>

        Do you actually find this when you spend time with the folks that know
you online??  I find it hard to believe.  Many of us have known you for several
years here and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would think
that you're reality is less than it seems.  I mean, unless you put on a
completely different persona online than you do in real life, we probably have
a pretty good idea of what you're really like inside, where it counts.  That's
one of the great things about this medium.  We get to know each other without
all the pretense of the way we look or act.  In short we get to know what
doesn't meet the eye.

        I just found this from you further downline:

        <I write pretty much the way I talk.  A lot of folks hereabouts have
seen me at conventions, and they've noted that the me you see here is pretty
much the me they see there, and the me that's just *there* all the time.>

        Damn you're good.<G>  You're starting to answer my questions before I
even ask them.

     Tom^^^^

     "The avalanche has ALREADY started.  It is too late
      for the pebbles to vote." - Kosh Naranek

 #: 506622 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-May-96  19:28:39
Sb: #506519-Joe an atheist?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, it's not that...but in person, I generally tend to be fairly quiet
and reserved, almost verging on shy.  In groups I tend to vanish into the
wallpaper.  You'll usually find me at the back of the room, observing.  I'm not
terribly extraordinary looking, rather average really, in contrast with what
some perceive of me online, as evidenced by an email note I got just today
where someone fancied me a mix of Sam Kinneson and Sean Connery, based on the
messages here and elsewhere.

      I can gear it up when I have to go to a convention and perform, but the
rest of the time...I'm nearly invisible.  And I mean *invisible*.  As some
small proof of this, when I went to my 20th high school reunion, I knew every
face and every name I saw.  Out of the hundreds of people who showed up, two --
TWO -- vaguely sorta kind remembered me, but that's about it.  I passed through
their ranks without leaving even a footprint.  This is the norm, not the
exception.  Online, I can be Cary Grant...but offline, closer to Don Knotts.

                                                                       jms

 #: 506470 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  16:29:06
Sb: #506350-#<Bester's Appearance>
Fm: BERNARD F. DOWDY, J

I suspected it had something to do with distance from the station.  Thanks for
confirming.  This leaves some interesting possibilities open.

I'm currently reading a collection of short stories by the *real* Bester,
Starlight: The Great Short Fiction of Alfred Bester. My local library system
has very little of his work--the aforementioned title being all of it.  Could
you suggest some of his other works?  Did he write any novels?

Bernie

 #: 506623 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  19:28:40
Sb: #506470-<Bester's Appearance>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'd highly recommend The Stars My Destination.

                                                                  jms

   believe in something, the words spring out of you without much effort or
   thought.  He also goes on to thank JMS for B5 and call it the "only
   thing I watch." ]

 #: 506730 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-May-96  22:52:13
Sb: #506615-The Creative Process
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks....

                                                                jms

   recent theological discussions/arguments apologizes to JMS. ]

 #: 506759 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-May-96  23:09:46
Sb: #506724-Joe an atheist?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's okay, kiddo...I'm used to it.

    15-May-96  20:07:17
Sb: #506427-#The Creative Process
Fm: RAE AUGENSTEIN

 >>  Only a conscious decision to finish the damned thing can carry you the
rest of the way, a commitment to follow through on the craft of the
STORYTELLING. <<

 This sounds like a good time to plug our local university. :-)

 East Tennessee State University here in Johnson City actually offers a
Master's Degree in Storytelling. Of course, their emphasis is on the oral
tradition, but I know that could translate to the written story as well.

 In addition, each October the next town over (Jonesborough, Tenn.) hosts the
National Storytelling Festival, which lasts for about 4 days, and draws tens of
thousands of people from every state and quite a few foreign countries. After
Babylon 5 is all over and you have some spare time you might want to check that
out.

    Rae ^^^^
    Check out my B5 episode guide at:
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Rae_

 #: 506760 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-May-96  23:09:47
Sb: #506643-The Creative Process
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, I think I've seen stories about that on the news...fun stuff.

                                                                      jms

 #: 506677 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  21:00:56
Sb: #504725-#Cheers for Mira
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>     And yes, Bruce is a hell of a lot better than some folks were willing to
give him credit for in the beginning.  I think that's coming out now as his
role becomes more deep and more serious.

I surprised myself when I realized (near the beginning of this season) that
Sheridan was my favorite character. He's like something out of a Heinlein
novel, only with a nice smile and he gets laid less...

Basically, Sheridan does what *needs to be done* and worry about the
consequences later. Well the core shuttle is gonna blow up, "Door Open", and he
plunges out, problem solved...OK so there's another problem...but he gets to
live 45 seconds longer, and an angel MIGHT fly up from the Zen Garden and save
him...

Phil ^^^^
FREE EARTH!

 #: 506761 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  23:09:48
Sb: #506677-Cheers for Mira
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Exactly.  A Heinlein hero isn't a bad description.

                                                                        jms

 #: 506762 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  23:09:50
Sb: #506664-<<War Without End>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Best to watch and find out....

                                                                    jms

 #: 506763 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  23:09:53
Sb: #506683-<War Without End, Pt 1>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, B4 survived the prior shadow war, but in very bad shape; didn't last
much longer after that.

                                                                 jms

 #: 506675 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  21:00:53
Sb: #506349-#<<Spitfires>>
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>       It's hallucinations.

Have the Spitfires changed shape a little? They look a bit more dangerous than
they did when they routed G'Kar's little group around Z'Ha'Dum.

Phil ^^^^
FREE EARTH!

 #: 506764 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  23:09:55
Sb: #506675-<<Spitfires>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Not that I know of.

                                                                    jms

 #: 506716 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  21:55:49
Sb: #>>War Without End: 1<<
Fm: TONI MULLER

Fantastic Episode.  Folks have said everything I could, but I will tell you
about the conversation my husband and I had before watching:

Me: Wanna watch Babylon 5?
Him: I've been looking forward to it all day.  Except that after I watch, I
want the next one.

(During the opening credits)
Me: By the way, this ones a two-parter.
Him: Oh, no.  The one-parters are bad enough, but a two parter is just aweful.

Me: And you know we wont get a new episode after this one until September.
Him: (Sound of extreme disappointment and look of consternation) Why do they do
that?

He's as hooked as I am now.

Toni

 #: 506765 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  23:09:57
Sb: #506716->>War Without End: 1<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Inch by inch, we're taking over the world....

                                                                jms

 #: 506727 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  22:38:37
Sb: #>>War Without End: 1<<
Fm: TONI MULLER

Knowing what I do now, I find it ironic that Delenn's orders had been to _kill_
Sinclair if he remembered anything about his capture during the war.  My, how
that would have changed things for the Minbari.

Also, Sinclair's participation in the Rebirth Ceremony in "Parliament of
Dreams" now takes on deeper meaning.

Pretty incredible how you've woven such an intricate and consistent tapestry -
beautiful!

Toni

 #: 506766 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  23:09:58
Sb: #506727->>War Without End: 1<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Exactly.  The quote Delenn recited in "Parliament" was the quote from
Valen when he formed the first Grey Council.

                                                                        jms

 #: 506725 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  22:34:12
Sb: #B5 Story Arc
Fm: MERYL  YOURISH

I've just finished watching the pilot and first six episodes of the first
season. Since I've already seen all the episodes at least once, I tried to do a
few things--look for foreshadowing, relearn the facts from the beginning, try
to get used to Sinclair over Sheridan again <G>--and I've come to the
conclusion, among others, that Babylon 5 is the finest science fiction series
ever to be televised. In fact, Babylon 5 is one of the finest television shows,
ever.

Joe, the thing that leaped right out at me was how literary the arc structure
is, even while staying in the confines of not making a new viewer feel like
he's missed anything. The first few episodes of the series "read" like the
first few chapters of a novel. You introduce our protagonists, the major
plotlines, the subplots, the supporting characters--all while piquing our
interest to learn more.

I'd forgotten about a lot of things--Catherine, Bester's first appearance,
Delenn "marrying" Sinclair, Na'toth being G'Kar's SECOND assistant--and was
fascinated to see the growth of the major characters in the past three years.
Ivanova was stiff and formal for the most part, very closed off and keeping to
herself. Londo was, as he told Adira, a drunken old fool of a Republican,
dreaming of greater days. G'Kar was almost completely the opposite of what he
is now. Spoiled, agitated, childish, downright evil sometimes. And Delenn was
much harsher than we'd grown used to seeing her. Now I realize how much I'd
missed the old Delenn, particularly when she lost her temper in "Severed
Dreams". That wasn't a "new" Delenn. That was the Minbari we first met, but who
had disappeared at some point. It will be interesting to me to see where her
passivity began. Of the entire crew, only Garibaldi seems to be relatively the
same. But he is darker, and more serious than he used to be. Luckily, that
sense of humor is still there. I've been laughing out loud at a lot of scenes,
Joe, and I already saw them. Kudos to you for that!

I was also impressed by the way each episode >was< a standalone, yet also gave
crucial information regarding the overall story. In "Infection," I was
thinking, "Gee, what's this got to do with anything?" Then I got socked with
organic technology, and the meaning grew clear. Franklin's workaholism was
there, too--right from the beginning.

And I think I owe you an apology, Joe. I wasn't aware of it three years ago,
but I must have been watching the show back then with a chip on my shoulder,
daring you to be as good as your PR said your show would be. Because I
distinctly remember thinking that some of your dialogue was cliched
and--well--cheesy. "Parliament of Dreams" was an episode I remember that
way--the dialogue between Catherine and Sinclair. Well, watching it tonight, I
had the >exact< opposite reaction to their scene together. I thought it was
beautifully written, and beautifully acted.

I should probably start writing down the questions each episode raises, because
I can only think of a couple to ask you. They've probably been asked here
before, but I wasn't on CIS three years ago.

1) Will we see Ironheart again?
2) Are Sinclair and Delenn married?
3) Will we see the ship or beings that Catherine saw on Sigma 957 again? It
didn't look like a Shadow ship, but it sure looked to be organic tech.
4) Whatever happened to the insect-like being from Down Below?

In closing, let me tell you again how much I appreciate the work you've done,
Joe. B5 has become my favorite show, period. If I can't be home on Saturday
afternoons, the first thing I do when I get home is watch the tape. Thank you,
Great Maker, for giving me many hours of viewing pleasure.

        Meryl

 #: 506767 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-May-96  23:10:01
Sb: #506725-B5 Story Arc
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  I've actually heard similar from others who've gone back and
done the same thing...including some who, as you did, were kinda "Oh, yeah?"
for the first part.  But as long as someone's willing to go back and look at
what's there with an open mind, I don't have any complaints, and no apologies
are ever required.

      SF fans have so often been disappointed by shows that it's natural after
a while to have "a chip on one's shoulder," as you say...I think it's based on
a desire to defend oneself, to not get sucked in One More Time. It's
understandable.

      To your questions: no plans for Ironheart at this time, omnipotent beings
running around my universe make me nervous...Sinclair and Delenn aren't
married, it was stated as a *rebirth ceremony* which CAN sometimes double as a
marriage ceremony, the rebirth being Delenn's upcoming change... she became
more "passive," more insecure, after her change; that began to turn around
after her encounter with Mr. Sebastian...and we saw the Sigma 957 ship again in
"Voices of Authority."

      Beyond that...thanks for the great words.  They help.  Pulling this show
off is a tough job, harder than I think anyone knows, or ever will know, or
ever *should* know, since that's irrelevant to what's on the screen.