ATTN JMS: Familiar Sentiments?

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Fri May 24 06:27:21 EDT 1996

Subject: ATTN JMS: Familiar Sentiments?
+  1: May 22, 1996: devnull at sidehack.gweep.net (John Trussell)
*  2: May 23, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: devnull at sidehack.gweep.net (John Trussell)

Ok, this is a little off the beaten path, subject-wise, but it struck me
that some might find it interesting and/or appropriate...

There were five shows on TV this past year which I religiously watched: B5
(obviously :), Law & Order, X-Files, Murder One, and Nowhere Man.  Having
now seen the last (ever -- it's been cancelled) episode of NM, I decided to
peruse the nets to see if I could find a few answers to lingering questions
about the show's plot.

In my searchings, I came across the following online note from Nowhere Man's
creater, Lawrence Hertzog... it's old (posted about six months ago), but
given the show's cancellation this past Thursday, it's a timely parting
note.

I'm including it here primarily for JMS to read (and possibly react to).
I'm curious to know how many of the sentiments expressed by Mr. Hertzog --
one of the few other series creators who's been active on the nets, and who
has had a chance to see "his dream" (partially) played out on-screen -- seem
familiar or "hit home."

(Please, no flames, no comments of the "you actually _watched_ that piece of
tripe?" variety.  I like(d) the show... your mileage may vary, and I don't
feel any need to argue about it.  'k?)

***
[begin quoted text from http://www.abacus.ghj.com/sci_fi/nowhere/hertz.htm]
***

***
[end quoted text]
***

--
John Trussell
devnull at sidehack.gweep.net / truss at tiac.net

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

While my experience on other shows has not been quite the same as
Hertzog's, I can understand his sentiments, certainly.  I've been
uncommonly fortunate in that in most of the shows I've done, I've had a
pretty free hand to do pretty much whatever I wanted.  But nowhere as much
as on B5.  Nowhere, man.

(sorry)

I wanted to check out Nowhere Man more often, but only actually managed to
watch the first and last episodes of this season.  I thought it held great
promise.

To the overall tone...yes, there are times when doing a show becomes a
terrible, grinding responsibility on a day-to-day basis.  Especially one
as mind-bogglingly complex as B5.  You can't just go off and sit by the
shore for a day or to, it's the totality of your waking life.  Go watch
Jack Klugman in "A Game of Pool" from TZ1, you'll understand.

In that light, the online experience -- with its occasional ups and downs,
potholes and rooftop snipers -- can be a source of great emotional
sustenance.  (When one is not driven mad by them.)  It's a great
community.