JMS on CompuServe (Nov 04, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon Nov 4 15:22:33 EST 1996

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/

    Sb: #604015-Stern cheers B5
    Sb: #603747-Music Scores
    Sb: #603751-B5 awards
    Sb: #603771-The Truth Comes Out!
    Sb: #604051-Day & Night on B5
    Sb: #603750- << Z'ha'dum>>
    Sb: #604019-#<Z'Ha'Dum........ wow.>
    Sb: #603798-<The Hour of the Wolf>
    Sb: #604058-Mr. Garibaldi
    Sb: #604099-Season 4 Title

   Imus. ]

 #: 604076 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Nov-96  15:22:28
Sb: #604015-Stern cheers B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, that wasn't him.

    03-Nov-96  04:56:21
Sb: #Music Scores
Fm: MICHAEL  ZITAGLIO

Hello again,

Joe, who decides what musical scores go into each episode?  Who would an artist
have to have send their demo tapes to?... or does it work that way?  Gary Numan
has expressed interest in writing scores, as he has done in the past with
movies , and I wanted to know what official channels he needs to go through.
Thanks.

 #: 604077 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Nov-96  15:22:30
Sb: #603747-Music Scores
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      We contract with Christopher Franke for the full season, and he provides
all music cues.  We can't take outside stuff, it all has to be work for hire.

    03-Nov-96  05:04:19
Sb: #B5 awards
Fm: MICHAEL  ZITAGLIO

Hello,

Does WB know about all these awardsB5 is getting?  Were they present at the
awards ceremonies?  Do they F@$#ing care?  You'd think they would try to cas in
on the show's success.   By the way, you're driving my wife Terri crazy with
suspense!  Its all she talks about. And she never talks about TV shows.

 #: 604078 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Nov-96  15:22:32
Sb: #603751-B5 awards
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      WB cares about some of them, others they don't understand.

      My best to your wife, and her grief hasn't started yet.

                                                                    jms

   when he heard one character refer to a ex-champion fighter named
   "Smokin' Joe Straczynski."  He goes on to ask JMS if he can offer
   any insight into this. ]

 #: 604079 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Nov-96  15:22:34
Sb: #603771-The Truth Comes Out!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's a terrible and ugly history.  Dozens of dead bodies left lying in
the ring.  Referees knocked unconscious.  You don't want to know.

                                                                    jms

   from such work as Murder, She Wrote. Also, asks if the station has
   a day and night cycle. ]

 #: 604081 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Nov-96  15:22:38
Sb: #604051-Day & Night on B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, I was an SF fan *long* before I ever did Murder, She Wrote.

      And yes, there's a day/night cycle on B5, it seems appropriate.

                                                                    jms

   saddened that they will probably not see Babylon 5 again in the
   Philly area. ]

 #: 604082 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    03-Nov-96  15:22:41
Sb: #603750- << Z'ha'dum>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, and I'm hoping somehow the situation there can be worked out.

                                                                    jms

    03-Nov-96  15:22:43
Sb: #604019-#<Z'Ha'Dum........ wow.>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, no, what happens within WWE can't be really shown in the
current arc, only anticipated and the ground laid in place for all that to
happen.

      And thanks....

    03-Nov-96  07:25:46
Sb: #<The Hour of the Wolf>
Fm: DAVID CERRETA

Joe,

Beautiful.  What a season opener!!  I have lots to comment on but not much
time, so I'll get down to it.

Credits: I thought they did what they were supposed to do, which is show the
characters in action, in one form or another.  I like Christopher Franke's
changes to the theme.  The closing shot of the credits was fabulous, skating
along the length of B5 and then off to your name.  Well done.

Music:I know so little about how music is constructed, but I swear that each
season it feels as if the music is based off a chord or series of chords that
are progressing to some end, as is the story arc.  In any case, it was dark and
brooding and the end credits were great if for no other reason than we don't
have to listen to that cheesy WB fanfare.

Story:This Centauri intrigue plot is great!!  Londo and Vir continue to be some
of my favorite characters.  Watching Peter act is a blast!  His take as he
realized the emperor was insane was pure pleasure to watch.  I thought that
your "Previously on Bablyon 5..." at the beginning worked very well and anybody
who hadn't seen the show before, surely could enjoy it.  The action and
intrigue was easy to get into.  Lots of showing and almost no telling.

Actors:  Everybody seems comfortable.  I'm sure all the actors are excited by
the developments this season.  Nice to see Patricia Tallman back as Lyta, her
part in things will be fun to watch.  Stephen Furst has obviously lost a lot of
weight.  He looks good, although I don't know what that'll do to
continuity.<BG>  I'm sure nobody could be happier than he.  Hope it wasn't from
illness or accident.

The tease for next week looked great and I'm very anxious to see the ratings
numbers for sweeps.

Finally, I see you've written the first nine episodes.  This isn't going to be
another solo year, is it?  That's a lot of pressure.  But I suspect you'd like
to shepherd this baby into its fifth season.  I'm sure that when you get the go
ahead (I'm trying to be like you and think nothing but positive thoughts) for a
fifth and final, a huge weight will have lifted off your shoulders.

Congrats,

Dave

 #: 604084 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    03-Nov-96  15:22:45
Sb: #603798-<The Hour of the Wolf>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  Yeah, everybody's just cooking on this one, it has a very
filmic, grand look to it.  I love it a lot.

                                                                    jms

   be the one to replace Sheridan if Sheridan was killed?" ]

 #: 604085 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    03-Nov-96  15:22:47
Sb: #604058-Mr. Garibaldi
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI