The Summoning: Welcome back to the 50's, kids! (Spoilers)

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Wed Nov 20 06:21:48 EST 1996

Subject: The Summoning: Welcome back to the 50's, kids! (Spoilers)
*  6: Nov 19, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com

From: kensu at pathcom.com (Chris Schumacher)

13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20

Well, I guess it was too much to hope for that planet-busting was in
Harlan Ellision's 'Epistle to the B5 writers.' as a plot which should
NEVER be used. Of course, maybe it was and JMS was just ignoring it.

Let me just say this, anything which has the power to obliterate a
planet has crossed the line from technology to magic. Hell, in Deep
Space Nine the entire Romulan-Cardassian fleet said that it would take
several weeks to destroy a planet, and here the Vorlons do it in a short
period of time! I suppose it's only a matter of time before we see
Primodial goo devolving people, and the Shadows gets a new weapons that
turns ordinary type G stars into Supernovas. (Sigh) I still like the
show, but it's leaning far too much towards Magitech now.

				-==Kensu==-

From: nfitch at popmail.ucsd.edu (Nick Fitch)

In article <jrr7-1811962022140001 at newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>,
jrr7 at cornell.edu (Jonathan Rynd) wrote:

>In article <56ohvd$pgt at news.pathcom.com>, kensu at pathcom.com (Chris
>Schumacher) wrote:
>
>>4
>>Spoilers for "The Summoning"
>>1
>>2
>>3
>>
>>5
>>6
>>7
>>8
>>9
>>10
>>11
>>12
>>13
>>14
>>15
>>16
>>17
>>18
>>19
>>20
>>
>>Well, I guess it was too much to hope for that planet-busting was in
>>Harlan Ellision's 'Epistle to the B5 writers.' as a plot which should
>>NEVER be used. Of course, maybe it was and JMS was just ignoring it.
>My thought was, the Vorlons just have to kill everyone on the planet and
>sterilize the surface with radiation.  But JMS has to go and say the
>planet no longer exists.  Hmm... so the Vorlons really are that far ahead
>in tech levels?
>
>No, no, they have a tectonic plate device that will make the planet shake
>itself to pieces!  Or wait, no, they make a huge jumpgate and tow the
>planet into the nearest star!  No, they, uh, attach a grappling hook and
>swing the planet into a bigger plannet, shattering the smaller
>one!!!!!!1!1!

WATCH OFFICER: Jump point opening!  My god, it's a big one!

IVANOVA:   What the hell is *that*???

SHERIDAN:    *I* know what it is.

KOSH-II:    <tinkletinklehiss>...._behold the Jellyfish Of Total Destruction_

SHERIDAN:    That's not a jellyfish, that's the Death Star!

KOSH-II:    <tinkletinklehiss>...._is not_

SHERIDAN:    Is too!

KOSH-II:    <tinkletinklehiss>..._it's a jellyfish_

SHERIDAN:    It's the Death Star.  You've just stuck a lot of dangly
tentacle bits underneath it.  Look!  One of them just fell off.

KOSH-II:    <tinkletinklehiss>..._jellyfish_

SHERIDAN:    Death Star!

KOSH-II:    <tinkletinklehiss>..._jellyfish!_

SHERIDAN:    DEATH STAR!!

KOSH-II:    <tinkletinklehiss>..._insolent! impudent!_

SHERIDAN:    SCREW YOU!!!

IVANOVA:    People, please!

SHERIDAN:   Where did you get it?

KOSH-II:    <tinkletinklehiss>..._a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far
away...._

SHERIDAN:   Forget it, I don't want to know.

KOSH-II:    <tinkletinklehiss>..._there was this yard sale, and..._

SHERIDAN:   I *said* forget it!

WATCH OFFICER: Sir, we're being commed by the Death...erm...Jellyfish.

IVANOVA:    There goes another tentacle.  Someone send a couple of
clean-up drones after that thing.

SHERIDAN:   This is Captain Sheridan, Independant Space Station Babylon
5.  How may I help you?

ON-SCREEN:  This is Grand Moff Tarkin abord the Death Sta-- Jellyfish!
JELLYFISH!  Nothing to do with stars at all!  Absolutely nothing!
Erm...is Lord Vader there?

SHERIDAN:   Kosh, it's for you...

--
         Nick Fitch, http://cfara.ucsd.edu/nick/home.html
"I like my sex the way I play basketball: one-on-one and with