ATTN JMS: WHtMG music (spoilers!)

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Wed Nov 20 06:31:50 EST 1996

Subject: ATTN JMS: WHtMG music (spoilers!)
s  1: Nov 18, 1996: kgroat at indiana.edu (kimberly groat olsen)
+  4: Nov 19, 1996: kgroat at indiana.edu (kimberly groat olsen)
*  5: Nov 19, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com
*  6: Nov 19, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com

From: kgroat at indiana.edu (kimberly groat olsen)

'

warned.....

Ok, I've watched all of "Whatever Happened to" twice, but I've watched
the last 5 minutes over _20_ times already, and every time it just
affects me more and more.  My husband walked in when I was watching it
the third time, and I told him it was an impressive episode.  He then
walked in 20 minutes later, I'm still watching the same footage (this
time for the 10th time, I think) and I'm bawling.  He asked, "Are you
ok?" and I looked at him (tears and mascara and all - very messy) and
say to him "You see, she was there to catch him if he should fall!"  at
which point he finally realized I'm crazy and started to call the lawyer
about divorce papers.

Ok - back to the point - I realized about 5 times into this trek that it
was the MUSIC that was calling to something in me.  Christopher Franke's
work in that last scene just melded so beautifully with the dialogue, as
if we could _hear_ some moment of understanding suddenly come over
Sheridan as Lorien begins to fade from view (Bruce's acting here was
superb!) and he "gives in to tock".  And the melody begins to soar when
Sheridan looks to Lorien and says "but I can hope."  It was perfect!

The music was also very different from anything I remember hearing on
the show (although I haven't seen all three seasons)  Did you work with
Franke on this very important composition, or did you give him some
suggestions on what you were looking for?  I really feel that last scene
(along with G'Kar's "Garibaldi" question to Cartagia) make this ep one
of the most moving I've seen.  It also changed my feelings about
Z'ha'dum for the better (Sheridan's face as he comes around the corner
to look over the pit, as we've now seen in Z and in WHETMG, has new
meaning to me.)

Thanks again for your attention to _detail_, not only in the writing, but
also the music, the fx, and all of the wonderful touches that make B5
great.

Kim Olsen
kolsen at loyola.edu

From: kgroat at indiana.edu (kimberly groat olsen)

todd jeremy howard (jhtodd at glibm23.cen.uiuc.edu) wrote:

> >'

> >warned.....
>
> **snipped discussion about WHtMG and the music in the last scene
>   between Sheridan and Lorien**
>
> kim olsen (kolsen at loyola) wrote:
> >It also changed my feelings about Z'ha'dum for the better
> >(Sheridan's face as he comes around the corner to look over the
> >pit, as we've now seen in Z and in WHETMG, has new meaning to me.)
>
> 	Was this scene redone for WHtMG?  I'd have to compare, but
> I think I would've noticed that hopeful smile at the end of Z.  It
> would've been just a -little- out of place, under the circumstances.
>
> 	-jht

You know, this is something that I wasn't sure about either.  I went back
and looked at Z before writing the original post, and I'm almost sure
it's the same scene (then again I have a crappy tv, so...)  For some
reason, it just didn't look out of place at the time, but if you have a
good copy of it, go back and look at it and fill me in.  I was thinking
the same thing - "Sheridan didn't smile the last time, did he?"  But, I think
he actually did.  I wonder if JMS filled Bruce in on what was to come when
that scene was initially filmed - he must have, or that shot just wouldn't
have worked.  Amazing how one shot can completely change your perspective.

kim olsen
kolsen at loyola.edu

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com

During the music spotting session, where I indicate where music comes in
and goes out, my main note to Chris on that final sequence was, "Break our
heart."

He did.

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com

"Was this scene redone for WHtMG?  I'd have to compare, but I think I
would've noticed that hopeful smile at the end of Z.  It would've been
just a -little- out of place, under the circumstances."

It's *exactly* the same footage, frame for frame.  Only your perspective
has changed.

Sort of like Shroedinger's TV show.