Transcript of JMS on IRC from Necronomicon 10/11/96

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Oct 15 03:23:20 EDT 1996

JMS had a question and answer session on IRC Friday night.  Here is the
cleaned up version of the transcript from the Lurker's Guide.

<Alpha-1> Net Control Boradcast: ALL OPERATORS, ALL NETS,
Please StandBy, Silence Channel Traffic, JMS coming
on-line in 30 seconds

<Alpha-1> Ladies and Gentelmen, J. M. Strraczynski

<<Alpha-1> Undernet: Your First Question Please.
question: <Psi_Cop> Are there any plans for starting the comic book series
again?

<J_M_S> Yes, the plan is tentatively for Titan UK to do the books, with DC
reprinting the books here, under my supervision for stories. Maybe 4 per
year to start. (This is already in the works, btw.)

JMS: I had the impression that you had at one point promised that when a
character dies in B5, unlike other shows, the character stays dead.
Does B5 still hold to this promise?

<J_M_S> Basically, yes.  There is some variation on the extent of one's
death, and what that means, but the totality of it is, yes, dead is dead.

 1) How strong is WB's support for B5?
 2) Do you feel that WB is behind the store? (i.e. Letter campaign needed?)
 3) What about individual TV station support?  Good/bad/indifferent?
 What are Turner's plans for the series?

<J_M_S> In reverse order...wow, lotsa questions...TNT plans to run
the show when it's over, and maybe do some movies...the support from
individual stations is variable, some more than others (SF and Portland,
for instance, have always been great).
<J_M_S> When nobody else thought B5 could be done, or that it
*shouldn't* be done, WB let us create this show and bring it to
fruition, and that means a lot.

<JMSLink1> (Kosh at WB) Will there be another vorlon on the show?

<J_M_S> Another one after Kosh?  Yes...his replacement arrived 2
weeks ago in "Walkabout."

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Styphathl> JMS: Will we ever find out
just what happened to Babylon 4 after the last SHADOW war? Did
it survive? is it going to show up in the future to Help the new
war?

<J_M_S> No, it didn't survive much past the last war.  It's an Ex-Babylon.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <KdC> To JMS: Are you aware of the
present limited availability of Babylon 5 to Canadian viewers, and
do you know if there are any plans to get Babylon 5 onto more
stations in Canada any time soon?

<J_M_S> This is one area which I confess I don't know as much
about as I likely should.  I do know that WB is working hard to
correct the situation, but beyond that I have no details.

<Othello> Is the original arc for B5 going to be published or made
available at some point?  Would really like to see how the stories
differ. -Ranger

<J_M_S> What original arc?  Surely you're not suggesting that there
have been CHANGES to the arc?  Goodness me, how would that
happen?

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) Spencer>JMS, do you have a  short list
for season 4 titles yet? If so, what are they?

<J_M_S> Season 4 titles: The Hour of the Wolf, Whatever Happened to Mr.
Garibaldi, Into the Fire... Atonement, The Summoning.  Others.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <HomerSimp> JMS: I have heard
several women tell me they would quit watching B5 if you ever
killed off Ivanova.  Is it really truthful to say that all characters
can die at any time when some characters become so popular the
fans would revolt if they were killed?

<J_M_S> Any character can die.  However, if I killed Ivanova,
Claudia would kill me.
<J_M_S> Mutually assured destruction.

<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) When Londo and G'Kar had finished
strangling each other in "World Without End, Part II" -- Vir picks
somethingup from the floor and there is a noise in the
backgroundwhich sounds like a shadow "chitter" -- was/is it?(will it be? <g>)

<J_M_S> No, no shadows there, and what he picked up was the
emperor's insignia, worn by Londo there and by Emperor Turhan
earlier.

<Lyta> Welcome to IRC JMS! I Love B5. Anyway, I saw Robin Curtis last weekend
and I was wondering if you had plans for the Ambasador Kalika character.

<J_M_S>...nope....

<JMSLink1> (Tigerlily at WB) Technomag> JMS: Any word on the
Problem with Philadelphia Stations? Your Loyal Philly fans need
there B5.
<J_M_S> NNNNNNNNNext.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Deirdre> To JMS: What was your part
in the shows "The Real Ghostbusters" & "V"

<J_M_S> On "Ghostbusters" I was story editor and primary writer
for the first syndicated and first ABC season; I left when they
softened up Janine too much....
<J_M_S> On V I was hired by WB to do a 4 hour new miniseries for
that show, but the final was too expensive for syndication (and
cost was what killed it in the first place, it almost singlehandedly
shut down WBTV.)

<U-Net> Claudia- Six would like to know how the vocal effects for
the Shadows/Vorlons are done.

<J_M_S> We just put microphones on the real Shadows on Vorlons
and...ooops, I wasn't supposed to say that...forget you heard that.
Next.

<U-Net> Claudia- Six would like to know how the vocal effects for
the Shadows/Vorlons are done. <<< Undernet question

<J_M_S> Just answered that.  Why are you asking again?  Who do
you REALLY work for?

<Othello> JMS:  In "Walkabout," our heros where saved in Star Trek
Style, it was very predictable, almost no casualties on our side other than
Lyta bleeding from the eye, and that was relatively minor considering 3 ships
fighting against 5. The question is will this be more prevalent as B5 moves
along, or are you going to revert back to more of the human condition
instead of save-the-day(moment) type writing style  --Bester

<J_M_S> Othello: wait and see.

<U-Net> Claudia- Didn't the new Vorlon ambassador think people
would recognize the difference in encounter suits?

<J_M_S> Probably, but whoever has just one suit?  (well, me, but
that's another story)

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Styphathl> JMS: Will we see any new
SHADOW ships in the future? Such as battle stations or
transports? Cause the way it seems right now.. there are only
enough shadows to poilte the shadow battle cruisers. There must
be ALOT more SHADOWS somewhere... will we ever get to see
them???

<J_M_S> Yes, you will see something on the Shadow side that's so
insidious, so nasty, so cool, that....I can't tell you.  But you'll see
it within the first 4 episodes of year 4.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Spencer> Ivy: Joe, Has there ever
been, or will there wver be, a machine on Z'HaDum similar to the
one on Epsilon 3?

<J_M_S> No, there's no Draal type situation on ZHD.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <D_Quixote> JMS, do you think that
Babylon 5 will have a seriously significant impact on the way
Sci-Fi and regular dramas are written for television in the
future?

<J_M_S> Well, it's certainly our hope that it will change TV, I know
that many producers have begun coming by the stage and asking
hwo we do this, and we show them, and more shows are coming out
using story arcs, so I think so, yes.

<JMSLink1> (B5Online at WB) Can I have a raise, Joe? ;>

<J_M_S> (yeah, sure)
<J_M_S> That would mean they first have to start PAYING you, Troy.

<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) from LytaA @ WB irc/#babylon5:
<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) jms: would you still like to have Patrick
McGoohan appear on B5?  If so, is pmg interested, and what kind
of role would you have him play?

<J_M_S> I'd LOVE to have McGoohan on the show, when we have a
proper story for it.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Styphathl> JMS: will we ever discover
exactly why the Vorlons are playing around with the devolpment of
the other races with the exception of the Centuari?

<J_M_S> Yes, we'll find that out by the end of the season.  next

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <KdC> JMS: one quick question, would
any of the cast be there with you today?

<J_M_S> Would they?  They would've.  Are they?  No.  Could they?
I don't think they allow actors in here.  Next.

<Othello> <Mr_Morden> JMS: I've heard that a Babylon 5 film is
being made. Is this true, and if so, when
<Othello> (in the B5 timeline) will it be set?

<J_M_S> No, no B5 film is currently being made, but TNT is
considering some original B5 movies set during the arc, one being
a prequel.

<J_M_S> Even SF fans have SOME standards.  Not much, granted...

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Strati> QUESTION FOR JMS: What
sagely advice would you give to the novice would-be-authors
online tonight?

<J_M_S> Find what moves you to passion, and write it.  No other
advice means a damn.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Strati> Ivy: Question for JMS: What
sagely advice would you give to all the novice would-be-authors
online tonight?

<J_M_S> Get offline and get back to work, that's what I'd suggest.

<Lyta> series after Babylon5 series ends?

<J_M_S> Lyta: I think part of your message got lost, or else you've
been hanging out with Vorlons.

<Lyta> Is there any plans to continue characters after b5 is over

<J_M_S> No, once the show is over, the characters go with it.
(Meaning the cast have to be nice to me.)

<JMSLink1> (BluKnight at WB) One of our users is disabled, and he
enjoyed seeing Franklin in a wheelchair after his Walkabout.  Do
you have any story plans dealing with disabilities (other than
addiction)?

<J_M_S> Not at the moment, no.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Styphathl> JMS: Did the SHADOWS
destroy the first 3 stations cuase they looked like B4 or was it
somone else we haven't seen yet???

<J_M_S> No, others destroyed B1-3, some human, some minbari, no
shadow influence.

<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 1) Will Bureau 13 be making another appearance?
<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 2) Will Zathras ever return?
<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 3) Is Ivanova an even more telepath thah
has originally been made out to seem?

<J_M_S> 1) No, 2) no, 3) no...you're batting a thousand.

<U-Net> Claudia- Ilya asks why Vorlon technology/ships appears
not to have changed in 1000 years, since the end of War Without
End.

<J_M_S> But they have...look more closely at their ships, and they
ARE different, we designed variations on them.

<JMSLink1> (Brett at EFnet) JMS: Do you plan to get involved in
Interactive TV/Drama.  I.E. a show that has a link to say a web
site where the fans can "take part in the show?"

<J_M_S> Yes, there's something in the works that I hope will change
how TV is done, but it's down the road a bit.
<J_M_S> And it's not a B5 project anyway.
<J_M_S> (just realized that when I log off, and it says jms QUIT babylon5,
it's going to start rumors)

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <e99> ivy: question for JMS. Having
studied in a theological seminary, what influenced you into
aethiesm. As an aethiest you are giving quite good presentation of
the "sprititual side " of things in B5.

<J_M_S> What influenced me to atheism was reading the bible twice
cover to cover.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <UMan> JMS: we are seeing much
Shadow activity, but mot much about the WHY behind the activity.
When will we learn more about the Shadows' reasons for their
activities?

<J_M_S> Yup.  You'll learn exactly what they're doing, and why
they're doing it, by the tine the last of the 5 held-over 3rd
seasons episodes airs in 3 weeks.

<U-Net> Claudia- Question for JMS: Will we see more of the Sigma
957 aliens, or other First Ones?

<J_M_S> U-net: yup.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Skyfox> Question: "How has the B5
story arc changed since its original conception? e.g. was sinclair
always going to leave the show?"

<J_M_S> Changes?  Changes?  Where?  Good heaens, where does this
come from?

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Styphathl> JMS: Is LightWave the
only 3d rendering program you use or is 3d Studio used a little as
well?

<J_M_S> Insofar as I know -- and my knowledge of this is 3 steps
removed from reality -- we use Lightwave principally for ship and
other animations; if the others are used elsewhre, they don't tell
me because it would scare me, and I'd get confused and fall
down.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Spencer> Ivanova: JMS: Was Draal
aware of the events going on at ZHaDum in the season finale?

<J_M_S> Yes, if Draal was watching the show that night.

<JMSLink1> (Tigerlily at WB) Garibaldi at wb > JMS, does the
reference to "We are all Kosh" have any relation to Sebastian's
questioning of Delenn?  Would "We are all Kosh" perhaps mean
that all of the Vorlons aren't necessary one Kosh, but share a
single defining outlook on the universe?

<J_M_S> Kosh is more of a description than anything else.

<Lyta> <Shaktot> Good morning (from Sweden). My two in
<Lyta> one question is. how did you began as scriptwriter and what
<Lyta> was your very first scriptwork? Btw, now the regular, thanks.
<Lyta> Thank you for creating such a wounderful show.

<J_M_S> I began writing for local theaters and community theaters
and the like; it's a good place to cut your teeth.

<Othello> <Shayla> How does it feel to be the "hero" of so many fans
and how has creating B5 changed your life?

<J_M_S> I'm not a hero, and shouldn't be seen as such; the story is
the star here, and the cast who work so hard at it.  I"m doing this
story because I can't NOT write this story.  It's not heroism, it's
maintaining my sanity.

<U-Net> Claudia- Question for JMS: You said that the new Kosh is
younger than the original... how old are Vorlons?

<J_M_S> I'd ask, but it'd be rude, and you know how they are.
<J_M_S> Suffice to say they're REAL old.
<J_M_S> They even remember Winky Dink.
<J_M_S> (And with that he lost the entire audience.)
<Othello> <Tatsu> What is "Winky Dink"?
<J_M_S> What is Winky Dink?  How dare you ask that in a public
forum, there are children around, y'know.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <D_Quixote> JMS: It seems as if the
story is less about Good vs. Evil than it is about the way each side
tries for dominance, and ends up merely restoring balance. Would
this be an accurate statement?

<J_M_S> Yes; good and evil is too easy to do.  It's about choices,
and responsibility and consequences.  Evil rarely looks in a miror
and sees evil.  We all have reasons for what we do; we have to be
always aware of our reasons to avoid doing the wrong thing.
<J_M_S> And yes, invariably we tilt back toward a balance...it's the
way of things.

<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 1)  will we *EVER* see tapes of B5 in
the states for purchase?
<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 2)  I understand that TNT ( I think ) as
part of the syndication is looking at 2 additonal 2 hour movies as
part of the package, with one being a prequel.  Where would the
other movie fall ( between which seasons ... )?

<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 3)  How much has B5 evolved from the
original concept that was started in the 80's ( i.e. such as Kosh's
death... I believe that it was not something that you originally
intended, but it just naturally fell out as part if the creation
process ... ).
<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 4)  Will we see the tri-luminary again in B5?
<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 5)  Will we see anymore of the
'creature' that inhabited Sheridan, and went back through the
time rift in sector 14?

<J_M_S> Tapes: not soon, WB is dragging their feet (hello, WB); the
other projects remain to be seen; little things change, and Kosh's
death happened sooner because, well, Kosh insisted.
<J_M_S> Yes, you'll see the Triluminary again, and no, no more of
that creature.

<Lyta> <MrSpark> Is there going to be any further
<Lyta> development of Psi ability seen in G'Kar or his race?

<J_M_S> It would take generations for that to happen, and the story
only covers a few years, so no.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Brett> for JMS: Can you tell us about
the funniest moment that ever happened on the set of Babylon 5?
Either some event or a practical joke?  I've heard there are some
real jokers in the cast and crew....

<J_M_S> Nothing much...Jerry dropping his pants on Andrea's first
day, the afternoon we convinced Jason his character had been
killed...little stuff.  Keeps us going.  WE're a mean bunch, but
we're fun.

<U-Net> Claudia- Question for JMS from Burmese: Will there be
more friction between norms and psi's as a result of their needing
psi's to beat the shadows?

<J_M_S> U-net: yes.

<J_M_S> ogod it's wb again...i'm going to grow old and die her.
<J_M_S> er, ehre.
<J_M_S> er, here.
<J_M_S> ....nutz.
<J_M_S> first we pay.  we pay beads.  heap many beads.  you type.

<JMSLink1> ::: (WB) * ^DEJABLUE asks Mr.Straczynski what had
made you get in to Sci-Fi and what were you doing before this??
and what are your plans after b5???(marjluna at warwick.net

<J_M_S> I've always loved SF, it's something I grew up with.
Before this I was into other TV shows, working on Murder, She
WRote and elsewhere.  AFter B5...I plan to sleep.

<JMSLink1> (BluKnight at WB) What do you think of the whole idea of
conventions, especially fan-run ones?

<J_M_S> I love cons, the fan-ones more than the professional ones.

<JMSLink1> (BluKnight at WB) In that case, did you get good words
from Richard (Biggs) about Denver?

<J_M_S> Yes, I got good words from Richard, bu they were "wibble"
and "boxers," so we're still translating.

<Othello> Why did the new Kosh treat Lyta so roughly?

<J_M_S> Because he's a jerk.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Styphathl> JMS: in the story Sinclair
became Minbari and this caused Human souls to be born in human
bodies... How can this be??? Wouldn't id be a Minbari becoming
Human causeng that soul switchover? I mean think about it... How
does Delenn turning human cause minbari souls to go back to
Minbari? Its seems a little Backwards to me

<J_M_S> Styph: believe it or not, we'll get into this.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <JumpGate> Are there any plans for
plastic model kits of B5 characters and ships?

<J_M_S> I hear that Monogram/Revell has just licensed models, so
soonish.

<U-Net> Claudia- Question from Sirilyan: How involved have you
been with the Pabylon Project RPG from Wireframe Productions &
Chameleon Eclectic?

<J_M_S> Fairly involved; I've got the text of their sourcebook with
me, and reading it now...so far it looks great.

<Lyta> <Mr-Mischief> <mr-mischief> for JMS : are there gonna
<Lyta> be any more shows in future seasons that have bits cut
<Lyta> when they are aired in the uk?

<J_M_S> Lyta: almost certainly.  We look forward to it.

<Othello> <Ivanova> JMS: what books did you read as a kid that gave
you all the crazy ideas for
<Othello> babylon5?

<J_M_S> None, but in terms of SF, I read Bradbury, Clarke, Asimov,
Russell, Heinlein, Ellison...all gave me that sense of wonder that
works in the show.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) JMS: Delenn changes half from
Minbari to Human, and Sinclair from Human to Minbari, Doesn't
this imply that there must be another half minbari to human change
to even up the soul exchange?

<J_M_S> Well, Sinclair looked minbari from the outside, but parts
were still very human, so there was one before th is.

<U-Net> Claudia- Question for JMS: What do you think it would
take to get Claudia Christian to an east coast Ren Faire? ;-)

<J_M_S> Depends on how much ale you've got handy.

<Alpha-1> I got a whole case of ale here ;)

<J_M_S> We can get her looped and toss her into a plane.

<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 1) How about the B5 US releases on
Laserdisc -- widescreen of course!!!

<J_M_S> WB keeps saying there's no market for tapes/disks...even
though the tapes are regularly #1-2 on the UK retail charts.  Go
figure.
<J_M_S> The hostage negotiations in Iran got a faster release than
our tapes.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Stilgar> JMS- In the first war, did
any "First Ones" fight on the side of the shadows? if so, are they
expected to return and fight once more, or will the Shadows only
recruit new allies, as they have done so far?

<J_M_S> One or two, yes, but they're gone now.  Good riddance.
The carpet's a mess.

<Othello> <Mollari> Will the Earth Alliance or Rebels get involved in
the war against the shadows ?

<J_M_S> Othello: nope.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <HomerSimp> why Psi Corps hasn't
developed a blood test for the telepathy gene since they knew
enough to develop Dust?

<J_M_S> The genes indicate potential, yes, but not the reality, so
it's more problem than its' worth.

<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 1) Is Sheridan carrying Kosh's essence
and can it be reached by another... ie; Lyta or the new Vorlon?
<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 2) Are the Forces of Darkness growing,
ie; are other races joining the Shadows to fight the Forces of Light?
<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 3) Will we see Bester fight the
Shadows?

<J_M_S> WB: in theory...we'l see.  And yes, the dark forces are
growing, in ways we'll have to see a bit later.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <drakon> JMS: About Barbie Costumes,
do you know anything about fan made costumes? did the maker get
spanked by WB legal?

<J_M_S> .....WHAT B5 barbie costumes?  This is the first I've heard
of it.  No, they're not licensed.  Now that I know, we smash.

<Othello> <Lenann> Have we seen most of the races included in the
Arc, or is there some Major player waiting out there yet to be
discovered?

<J_M_S> Othello: not as such, no.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Styphathl> JMS: Who is more
advanced... the SHADOWS or the Vorlons. Cause when the Vorlons
attacked the SHADOWS it took a dozen of them to kill one... does
this mean the Vorlons are not as strong as the SHADOWS or were
they holding back? Also why haven't the Vorlons hepled protect
B5?

<J_M_S> The Vorlons interests may not be quite the same as ours...as
we'll find out in season 4.  The question is predicated on them
wanting to be helpful as we would need them to be.  They may be
other.

<Othello> <Ranger> Have you been to Katana's Zocalo web site?

<J_M_S> Othello: no.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Merlyn> JMS: As far as souls being a
non-localized ohenomenon, are they non-localized in time as well?
Is that why the Soulhunter wanted Delenn's soul so badly? Was it
1/2 human  even then?

<J_M_S> The nonlocalization of a soul is something beyond human
comprehension...but no, her soul was then not half human...though
there *is* something about Delenn's background in this area you
don't know yet, and will find out soon.

<U-Net> Claudia- Question for JMS: Was it an accident or did you
do on purpose that the Centauri dress, act and talk like humans,
and especially Russians in the 19th century?

<J_M_S> There's a lot of influence in the Centauri: russian, german,
prussian, early Roman...lots of stuff.  I wouldn't tag it down to
one thing.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Styphathl> JMS: was the dream with
Sheridan in a Psi Cops uniform signifying his relationship to
bester or does it mean he will get the Corp to join the Army of
Light? Also why was he wearing the Uniform instead of just seeing
a image of Bester?

<J_M_S> That is answered in just 2 more weeks, and I'd rather let
that come out in the show than here.

JMSLink1> (Tigerlily at WB) <LilWolf @WB> Does anyone know
exactly how strong Ivanova's telepathic powers are?  Are they
strong enough for her to play any significant role in fighting the
shadow ships?

<J_M_S> No, her skills aren't that enhanced.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Stilgar> JMS- Are we going to see any
interference or action from the other planets (Orion 7 and
Proxima 3) who broke away with Babylon5?

<J_M_S> Stilgar: yes, in time.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) Spencer> JMS: Does Delenn carry in
her a part of a Vorlon in a similar way to Sheridan?

<J_M_S> Spencer: no.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <HomerSimp> JMS: B5 is
understandably popular with many in the military.  But is it
realistic to show Sheridan commanding a ship for which he has had
no training or preparation for?  Sheridan was shown actively
training his pilots to fight the Centauri in FoN.

<J_M_S> Well, bear in mind that Sheridan started as a fighter pilot
and worked his way up to his current position.  That helps.
(That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) * ^DEJABLUE asks JMS ....... do you
ever use these chat programs to just go on and chat and not tell
them who you are and if you do .do you like them??????

<J_M_S> Dejablue: no, I think that'd be unfair.

<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) from Spike @ WB irc/#babylon5:
<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 1) Do you have storylines under
development past the current 5 year arc?
<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 3) Do you get greater creative freedom
under PTEN (or what's left of PTEN) than he would under a major
network(ABC, NBC, etc)?  Would you make compromises to the
show to get a shot at airing Babylon 5 on one of the major networks?
<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 4) Is there grounds for some Oliver
Stone-like conspiracy theory in that both of the regular B-5
commanders have had the same initials as theircreator: JS?  Do
you see parts of yourself in their characterizations?

<J_M_S> There's always been a sequel possibility...so yes, but we'll
see.
<J_M_S> I get a LOT more freedom on PTEN than I would get on
ANY network, and I'm appropriately grateful.  (Just...ignore all
that other stuff I said, WB...no, really...I'll go back to washing
your car tomorrow).
<J_M_S> Re: initials...good heavens, I'd never noticed that
before...imagine that.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Styphathl> JMS: Did the SHADOWS
know about the battle cruisers on Mars and Gynamyde or did they
forget about them from the last war? Also what are the chances of
a SHADOW Battle Cruiser being burried under EarthDome?

<J_M_S> They were seeded on Mars and elsewhere to hide them.
MOre on this later in the show.

<Othello> <Shayla> How difficult was it to develop the discipline
needed to become a PAID writer?

<J_M_S> Othello: you just do it; you start the discipline as an
UNpaid writer.  You don't write because you want to, or for the
money, or for any reason other than that you can't NOT write.

<Othello> <Tatsu> When do we find out exactly what Vorlons are (or
did I miss somehing somewhere)?

<J_M_S> (That'll teach you to ask what the Vorlons are REALLY...you
really think they'd let me answer that?  HAH!"

<Othello> <Ranger> Any chance of 1.  The correct spelling of najas
duvaneal?  and 2.  What it means
<Othello> when translated from Minbari to English?   (from the scene
where Delenn makes it rain for Sheridan).

<J_M_S> Ranger: alas, my Earth/Minbari dictionary is at home.

<Othello> <Mr_Morden> JMS: Will B5 DEFINITELY be limited to 5
seasons?

<J_M_S> (My, this is rather chaotic.  Like a Centauri birthday
party, but without the tentacles and whipped cream.)
<J_M_S> Now I can tell you the REAL truth...

<U-Net> ToeKnee Describe what it was like seeing the 5 year story
arc at once ... how do you feel?

<J_M_S> It's a dream cone true, literally...it fills me with immense
pride.  The job of the writer is to stock the shelves so when he's
gone, the store stays open.  The shelves are well stocked now.
It's wonderful.

<Othello> <Pretender> If when Sinclari changed to a Minbari and
then Minbari souls  started being born in Human souls, does that
mean because Delenn changed that Human souls will be born in
Minbari's, or will they cancle out?  Or did it happen the first time
because Sinclair was traveling through time?

<J_M_S> It will, in theory, cancel out.  But something more has to be
done.

<JMSLink1> (B5Online at WB) Joe.. we never heard boxers or briefs.
Must have been a conspiracy.

<J_M_S> sure, WB.  Well, you can ask.
<J_M_S> who, me?
<J_M_S> Can't remember...justa  minute...I can't do this and type at the same
time.
<J_M_S> briefs

<Othello> <Fury161> will the scripts ever be available for
publication?

<J_M_S> and the first 4 are the best we've done so far.  (BTW,
someone asked about scriptwriting...my Complete Book of
Scriptwriting in new and expanded form just this week came out
from Writer's Digest Books)
<J_M_S> End of commercial.

<Othello> <Bird> (REPOST) JMS: Where are you scriptwise in season
4 and production-wise in S4?

<J_M_S> We're just finishing shooting #5, we have 4 edited, and 2
mixed and delivered; they're terrific.  Script #9 was just turned
in....

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <B5Jim> JMS, What do you think of the
series 2 B5 cards?

<J_M_S> I've seen virtually all of the new cards, and they're
*dynamite*, just gorgeous.  I'd say a 500% improvement over set
one.  I heartly recommend them.

<Othello> <Radix> Did Melissa Gilbert ask to be on Babylon 5 or was
it all Bruce's idea?

<J_M_S> (Actually, I thunk up using Melissa...just thought it was a
good idea.)

<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) WOW you thought up Melissa.. do her
parents know?

<J_M_S> Foundation has gone on to other projects; the CGI has now
been taken in-house.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Skyfox> Question: "JMS, Do you
enjoy torturing the cast? e.g. Ivanovas sex scene, BOOM SHAK
ALAKA...etc.."

<J_M_S> The cast get nervous sometimes because I listen, and toss
things in they didn't know I heard...like Jerry's attitude on
capital punishment is the same as Garibaldi's.  It's a good way to
unnerve them.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Lyta> jms: any b5 figures are going to
be released?

<J_M_S> No figurines are set yet that I know of...but I've just seen
the first Hamilton Collector's PLate, and it's *nifty* in the
extreme.  (Suddenly this has turned into a commercial.)

<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) from AndraX @ WB irc/#babylon5:
What was the name of the hymn you wrote?

<J_M_S> I didn't write the hymn, it's an old gospel song.

<Othello> <Valen> Who is going to do the new intro?

<J_M_S> Who's going to do the new intro?  Can't say.
<J_M_S> Well, can...just won't.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) JMS - Will there be a series of
collector plates for b5? (including Ivanova :))

<J_M_S> Yes, the plates have all our major characters on them.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <chanlon> JMS:One question.  What did
the Vorlons answer when someone asked them, "What do you want?"

<J_M_S> The vorlons wouldn't be asked that.  The shadows know
what they want.

<J_M_S> WB: yes.  Chris wants to put the walkabout songs on CD,
but I"m not sure if I want to do that, because I like the CDs being
all instrumental.  We're discussing it.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) * JMSisGOD begs even more to ask the
question about who is writing Season 4

<J_M_S> So far the first 9 scripts are jms scripts.

<JMSLink1> (B5Online at WB) Any news about an enhanced CD?  or
can't say? ;>

<J_M_S> Nothing's set yet.

<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) from DomesticB@ WB irc/#babylon5:
 Will the scripts ever be available in a novelized format?

<J_M_S> No immediate plans for it.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Morganna> JMS: this collectors plate?
...where will we be able to buy it from? ..WB shops?

<J_M_S> Not from WB, no, but likely via ads and direct from
Hamilton's.

<JMSLink1> (Tigerlily at WB) Hacker> Mr. Straczynski: First of all, I
would like to say how much I have enjoyed Babylon 5 for the last
few years. My question is what made you think of creating Babylon
5, what was your inspiration?

<J_M_S> It's hard to point to any one inspiration for B5...I wanted
to do a saga, I wanted to do a space station story, and one day I
realized that they were both the same story.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Styphathl> JMS: What are the chances
of a Human and a Minbari being able to concive. Or is B5 going to
pull a Star Trek and allow genetic crossovers?

<J_M_S> No two difference species can mate without
*considerable* genetic manipulation.  It can't be done as on ST.

<Lyta> Valen> May i please ask if there will be another series in the
b5 universe since it is -i now

<J_M_S> Lyta: WB has asked to see a treatment for a sequel; I
wrote one; they like it, but we'll have to see.

<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 1.  Any word on the status of future B5 comics?
<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 3.  Will we ever learn who specifically
conceived of the Babylon project?
<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) 4.  And lastly (it never hurts to ask)
can I have a job?

<J_M_S> Answered the comics question earlier; yes, later this
year/spring; (you went from 1 to 3, which confirms you work for
WB)...and 3, eventually, and 4...you can have my job, but you'll
have to lose all your hair first.

<Othello> JMS can you describe how the Arc was written out?

<J_M_S> The arc is written (was written) over a couple of years in
bits and pieces, it's now in a 300 page file triple-encrypted in my
computer.

<JMSLink1> (ToeKnee at Undernet) Describe what it was like seeing
the 5 year story arc at once ... how do you feel?

<J_M_S> It was quite stunning to see the whole story at once...it just
flashed into my brain.  Someone said of poems once that he didn't
write poems, he discovered them, they were always there, waiting
for someont to write them.  I think that may apply here.l)

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <_Codex> JMS: how long it took to
render one frame in "shadow dancing" fighting scenes? How many
ships there were in the fight? Was that biggest fight in the story?

<J_M_S> Don't nkow about rendering times; but overall our biggest
CGI episode in our history will be in the first 6 episodes.  It's a
corker.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Sharpe> JMS: Will there be any
ground battles coming up, or is everything going to be space
based?

<J_M_S> Space for now, ground later.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) JMS - will Melissa Gilbert be in any
episodes in Season 4 ?

<J_M_S> Nopers.

<JMSLink1> (Claudia- at Undernet) JMS:  What is the breakdown of
telepath levels?  Specifically, what percentage of human telepaths
are P12?

<J_M_S> That's a way too complicated question for this forum, alas.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Spencer> IJMS: Would you die for
The One? (after writing the rest of the show, of course)

<J_M_S> I wouldn't go get pizza for the one.  That ain't my job.
I'm just the writer.

<Othello> <]{osh> JMS: Are any Babylon 5 tech books going to be
made?  If so, when? Are their examples of the Story arc in your
Book.

<J_M_S> The  UK is coming out with a tech manual from Boxtree.

<JMSLink1> (Tigerlily at WB) <TwoKnives at wb> Who is YOUR favorite
Sci-Fi author?

<J_M_S> Favorite: Ellison or Bradbury or Tolkein.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <B5Jim> JMS, Are you upset that
Harlan Ellison won't write a sequel to Demon with a Glass Hand
for you?

<J_M_S> B5jim: no, given that he had a quadruple bypass, and an
earthquake, I kinda figured he was justified.  Not refusal, just no
time.

<JMSLink1> (Valen at WB) Question from Sigma:  JMS - you obviously
have a huge & loyal following from the UK, and thanks for Jason &
Michael York (both English!) - hows about a Scottish figure!!??
Sean Connery would be Brilliant! And if you need Scottish
characterisations ....

<J_M_S> If WB will give me the money to hire Sean, we'll do it.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) JMS - Have you thrown around the
possibility of working with Claudia Christian in other
works(TV,movies,etc) ?

<J_M_S> I don't throw Claudia around, she hits me...but seriously,
I'd love to work with her on any other project.

<Lyta> Will there being any modeling kits produced for sale? Valen

<J_M_S> Lyta; Revell is coming out with models.

<JMSLink1> (BluKnight at WB) Joe:  Would you be interested in
getting on more often, even if to chat about non-B5 things (like us
IRCers normally do)?

<J_M_S> re: more IRC..I think my brain would explode.

<JMSLink1> (beejmart at WB) How cum we can't get the NEATO
British B5 books reprinted by Dell????

<J_M_S> Yes, apparently the B5 books from the uK will be printed
here too.

<Othello> <MetalZone> JMS - There seems to be a religious
under-current in Babylon 5, is this inspired
<Othello> from a particular faith?

<J_M_S> There's not a religious or moral undercurrent, it's an
ethical one...my job is to ask questions.
<J_M_S> Me, Im an atheist, so you know I don't hae an angenda in
that.

<Othello> <Alpha1> Will there ever be a B5 PC game like Wing Commander?

<J_M_S> There are negotiations ongoing for a game.

<Othello> Are their examples of the Arc type format in your book.

<J_M_S> Othello: haven't written enough books to have an arc yet.
Just an ar

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) JMS - Will there be any more novels in
the US besides the 6 that have come out?

<J_M_S> We've been talking to some of the canada cons...we'll see.
And yes, there will be more novels, one of which shows in detail
what happened to Anna Sheridan at Zhadum.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <KdC> JMS: Do you have plans to
attend and of the Canadian Sci-Fi cons, such as Toronto Trek 11
or any others in the next year or so?  (ps please thank Jerry for
being at TT10.  It was an honour and a pleasure to meet him.)

<J_M_S> We've been talking to some of the canada cons...we'll see.
And yes, there will be more novels, one of which shows in detail
what happened to Anna Sheridan at Zhadum.

<JMSLink1> (Valen at WB) Question from Agamemnon:  "Is there a
Vorlon/Shadow relationship like there was a Vulcan/Romulan
relationship in Star Trek (as much as I hate to mention that other
show here!)"

<J_M_S> Agamemnon: no.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <PhantomII> JMS .... If you come away
from this (IRC) as a positive experience any chance of covincing
any of the cast to come in and pay us a visit ? (Ivy note: Is C.C.
still planning on coming back to Efnet #babylon5?)

<J_M_S> I'll tell them what it was like.  After we revive them, I'll
try to encourage them to try it.

<JMSLink1> (Tigerlily at WB) LilWolf @wb> How is it that you are
able to integrate scenes that are pictures taken by Hubble space
telescope into the babylon 5 images of the surrounding space,
including the superimpositions of ships into these pictures?

<J_M_S> We have fans at the Hubble operation, who supply us with
good quality slides we use as backgrounds.

<JMSLink1> (Ivanova at EFnet) <Styphathl> JMS: will we ever discover
why thge SHADOWS are the bad guys compared to the other First
Ones? Like what did they do that peeved them all off and what are
the channces of the SHADOWS being the only First Obes that act
like they do???

<J_M_S> Yep, in the final 5 of this year.  Literally, 95% of all
questions about the shadows will be answered in these next few
eps.

<J_M_S> Okay, we're wrapping things up....
<J_M_S> just wanted to say thanks to everyone who showed up (even WB...
sorta)....
<J_M_S> and that the support of the show from so many people is wonderful and
gratifying in the extreme...you will never know how much it means to us, and
has from the first day.
<J_M_S> Thanks muchly...it's been great.  See you on the flipside.
<J_M_S> (they say we hit a new world record on attendees)
<J_M_S> Going offline...............now.