JMS on CompuServe (Oct 28, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue Oct 29 00:25:57 EST 1996

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/

    Sb: #600220- Dancing  in the Dark
    Sb: #600274-Season 4 Title
    Sb: #600371-Religion on <The Rock>
    Sb: #600489-<<Shadow Dancing>>>
    Sb: #600603-<Shadow Dance - Nits>
    Sb: #600647-Deeper meanings in work?
    Sb: #600677-<Shadow Dance - Nits>
    Sb: #600649-Second B5 CD
    Sb: #600664-Second B5 CD

 #: 600220 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Oct-96  20:36:25
Sb: # Dancing  in the Dark
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

jms -

I still feel fairly gobsmacked by this episode, so coherence will probably be
wavering.

The main thing that struck me was how responsibility echoed through this
episode like a gong struck in the Grand Canyon.  Everyone is either assuming
responsibility for something that is beyond their range of influence (Garibaldi
referring to Franklin) or assuming responsibility,sometimes reluctantly, to do
the dangerously "right" thing (Sheridan, Delenn, Ivanova, the members of the
League). Franklin's tale contained this same echo when his abrupt encounter
with himself starts by his assuming responsibility for the beset drug-dealer
(and what irony there was in that), and then later for himself.

One thing that struck me with Franklin's encounter with himself was that his
newly-met self reminded me very much of his father (although it's been a while
since I've seen "Gropos," so I may just be inventing this).

I loved how Marcus was able to do the "Tell the Truth Before You Die," bit to
Ivanova, but guaranteed that he would not face rejection by doing it in
Minbari.

The quick intercutting between the battle and Franklin's struggle intensified
both for me.

Others have already mentioned the acting of Richard Biggs; it was stupendous,
as was Boxleitner's in "Rock," where he had such a wide range of emotional
states to cope with. And Mira has such believable "force" in the opening scene.
Claudia Christian can do so much with here eyes (it's a Russian thing, right?).

-rje-

I can almost feel the rustling-in of some kind of enchantment already.

 #: 600259 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    28-Oct-96  02:59:47
Sb: #600220- Dancing  in the Dark
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's a great ep...thanks.

                                                                    jms

   and if he's determined a title for the season yet. ]

 #: 600643 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    28-Oct-96  18:16:50
Sb: #600274-Season 4 Title
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       The main title will reveal itself soon enough; and yes, I have a title
for the season.

                                                                       jms

 #: 600644 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    28-Oct-96  18:16:50
Sb: #600371-Religion on <The Rock>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks....

                                                                       jms

   dream, as they didn't seem terribly important in the overall scheme of
   things, and some of them didn't do him any good until after they came
   true. ]

 #: 600645 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    28-Oct-96  18:21:47
Sb: #600489-<<Shadow Dancing>>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Well, certainly Kosh was accessing that which he could, in part to prove
he knew what he knew, in part to set things up.  Although who knows, there may
be more to it...that that's what they came up with doesn't necessarily mean
that is the full extent of it.

                                                                       jms

   to escape the Shadows. ]

 #: 600646 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    28-Oct-96  18:21:48
Sb: #600603-<Shadow Dance - Nits>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Actually, no, most refugee ships are NOT jump capable.  Remember, it
takes a LOT of power...you've got the heavy cruisers, and long range
exploratory vessels, and not much else.  That's what makes the White Star so
special, that it can be as small as it is and still generate a jump point. The
Asimov class passenger liners, for instance, can't jump, and have to rely on
gates.  The smaller ships the refugees would've been using would have had to
get to their local gate, and then line up to go through it in small groups.
Which means 85% of them would've been trapped there, ducks in a shooting
gallery.

    28-Oct-96  18:24:18
Sb: #600081-#Deeper meanings in work?
Fm: MIKE ROBISON/ WA & FL

Joe,
    Wow- much more of an answer than I expected- thanks!  Your scriptwriting
    book is on the top of my Christmas list for just those insights from
    someone who has "been there; done that".

    I find your comment about you being suprised by what comes out
    interesting and hard to relate to, in terms of having had the same
    feeling, albeit in a different area, since I'm not a writer. Closest I
    can come to is the feeling when my juggling is *on*, and I can go for a
    long time without thinking "catch, throw, catch etc."; I just *do* it. I
    usually explain to others that it is Zen-like, in that it takes no
    mental effort and when I wake up (by dropping!), I feel very relaxed
    even though I am sweating from the physical exertion. (Yes, you *do*
    sweat when you juggle, especially clubs!)

    From what you said, I infer that writing is a similar
    "relaxing/unconscious" process for you, when you are *on*...OTOH, are
    there still days when writing seems similar to staring at the keyboard
until
    drops of blood appear on your brow? <g> (not an original quote; I don't
    remember who said words to that effect)

    I can string words together, but I can't do the dialog/inner
    reasoning/plots, etc that are essential to good writing.  Maybe after I
    read your book.....!
    Thanks again!
    MWR

 #: 600704 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Oct-96  19:48:15
Sb: #600647-Deeper meanings in work?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It never gets easy...it just gets difficult in different areas.

                                                                    jms

   refugee ships. ]

 #: 600705 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    28-Oct-96  19:48:16
Sb: #600677-<Shadow Dance - Nits>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Just answered this twice in another thread...would hate to take up the
space repeating it a third time....

    28-Oct-96  18:24:42
Sb: #Second B5 CD
Fm: ROWAN KAISER

I've been out of touch for quite a while (duh).  Is the second music CD still
scheduled for release at the same time as season 4, or has it been pushed back
again?

"NEW AND IMPROVED!  NOW, MORE THAN EVER, LIKE I WAS BEFORE!!!!!!"
Rowyn Fireblade  Proud owner of the best (and worst) computer game ever!*
Babbler, Mistie, Montie, etc.  *according to me (and CGW)

 #: 600713 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Oct-96  19:57:37
Sb: #600649-Second B5 CD
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's being released in November, but I hear they won't sell it to you
because they say you're too loud.

      Me, I don't get involved in these things.

    28-Oct-96  18:52:37
Sb: #600649-#Second B5 CD
Fm: SYSOP LEE WHITESIDE

Pushed back at last report.  Possibly early next year.

 #: 600714 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Oct-96  19:57:38
Sb: #600664-Second B5 CD
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nope.  I just got the liner notes to them last week, which they needed by
Wednesday latest because they were going to press this week.

                                                                    jms

 -----
 Brent Barrett                        bbarrett at speedlink.com
 Chief Bottle Washer                        Intellinet, Inc.
 Watch Babylon 5!       http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5