JMS on CompuServe (Sep 18, 1996) * FINAL FIVE SPOILERS *

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Wed Sep 18 14:27:27 EDT 1996

 The following posts DO contain SPOILERS for

 This SPECIAL section of "JMS on CompuServe"
 posts contains spoilers for the Final Five
 episodes of season three.

 This SPECIAL section of "JMS on CompuServe"
 posts contains spoilers for the Final Five
 episodes of season three.

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/

    Sb: #<Z'Ha'dum Spoilers>
    Sb: #578637-#>> Z'HA'DUM <<

    17-Sep-96  15:38:51
Sb: #<Z'Ha'dum Spoilers>
Fm: LAURENCE MORONEY

Hi,

        Let me start with congratulations on a Brilliant (I had to capitalise)
storyline on Z'Ha'Dum, if the synopsis that I have just read is at all
accurate.

        The motives of the shadows make me a possible 1-of-3, I am still
deliberating, and will wait until I see the episode to be sure. Indeed, having
the shadows as a force that is driving evolution seems natural to me, and has
been an idea that I have been toying with in an attempt to write a script for a
movie in the 'Alien' universe, that the alien are a force of nature designed to
'drive' evolution. When a species reaches intelligence, they shape their
environment rather than have their environment shape them. Having a natural
enemy upsets this and spurs development and evolution. Seems that this is going
on in your story, or do you have a few more aces up your sleeve?

        For me the show is pure entertainment, cerebral as well as exciting.
Spoilers don't spoil it for me....much more, they whet my appetite.

        Congratulations on this show, on season 4, and on the triumph that
Babylon 5 is to the science fiction universe. I hope that you will take pride
in the fact that it is seriously inspiring the career of a young and hopefully
up and coming writer that is Laurence Moroney.

Thanks again,
Laurence

P.S. My post script has some details on the Alien story that I am working on.
If this in any way has any similarities to anything that is up and coming in
the B5 universe, you will NOT be accused of plagiarism in any way. If you do
not wish to read further, please do not. I thought I had better say that.

Thanks.

P.S. In my story, the Aliens overtake the Earth, and in their destructiveness
turn on each other, destroying each other. The story is told through the eyes
of a Queen (telepathically linked to a human survivor) who wants to break this
chain, as in her ancestral memory she has seen it time and again. The tragedy
is she cannot and can never.

 #: 579008 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Sep-96  17:35:59
Sb: #578971-<Z'Ha'dum Spoilers>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks.  The portrayal of their motives is somewhat more elaborate, but
the sense is there, and as you yourself note, there's a certain cold logic
there which can be agreed with at some level.

    17-Sep-96  15:50:09
Sb: #578637-#>> Z'HA'DUM <<
Fm: JUANMA BARRANQUERO

> but last time I did, everybody jumped funky on me

You were (IMHO) partially right last time. Now you are absolutely right.

Don't know the source of such a detailed synopsis from a non-yet-aired ep, but
I would suppose everybody who has seen it would be subject to some (verbal and
in good faith) "non disclosure agreement"...

 #: 579009 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Sep-96  17:35:59
Sb: #578984-#>> Z'HA'DUM <<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       From the way it was worded, it was written by someone who's actually
seen the thing, since the little moves and such described weren't in the
script.  Must be an advance copy in the UK.