Londo's Lament, Redemption or Fire? (long)

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Thu Sep 19 06:24:36 EDT 1996

Subject: Londo's Lament, Redemption or Fire? (long)
s  1: Sep 19, 1996: slr at minn.net (Steve Rider)
*  2: Sep 19, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: slr at minn.net (Steve Rider)

Spoilers for:

Deathwalker

Signs and Portents

Chrysalis

Coming of Shadows

The Fall of Night

Point of No Return

Ceremonies of Light and Dark

Sic Transit Vir

Interludes and Examinations

War Without End

There has been some interesting speculation on the interpretation of
Lady Morela's vision of Londo's fate, but most of it has left out some
points I think are very relevant.  Babylon 5 is a  story about the
power of an individual to effect change, at least if you are the right
person in the right place at the right time (or in Londo's case, the
right person in the wrong place at the wrong time).

Londo's steps toward the *fire* occur when he makes use of the
Shadows, and his chances for redemption consist of resisting the urge
to use them.

Because it is as much about how we got here, as it is where we are
going, let's review:

In Chrysalis:
The Shadows, acting in Londo's name, wipe out a major Narn military
outpost in quadrant 37.  10,000 dead Narn warriors.  Remember how
appalled Londo was at the slaughter?
Londo:  "But... 10,000 Narns!?!"
Morden:  "Ten thousand, a hundred thousand, a million.  What's the
difference??  They're *NARNS* ambassador.  I didn't know you *cared*."

At that point in the story, Londo was still looking backward to past
glory.  I think the attack was partly designed to start him thinking
that the days of conquest and glory were again possible.

At first I thought this was his first missed opportunity for
redemption.  But then, I realized that this is probably where he began
to *need* redemption.  He did not ask for any particular action, but
simply went along with Morden.  It was Morden's idea for the attack.

In The Coming of Shadows:
The Shadows attacked a Narn colony/listening post in quadrant 14, at
Londo's request.  The defenses were destroyed (including any
witnesses), and the colony damaged.  250,000 dead or captured,
including civilians.  He did show some early signs of guilt, but stuck
to his plan.
Londo: "At this time tomorrow, we will be at war.  May the Great Maker
forgive me."

After a nightmare, Londo appears to have had second thoughts about the
attack, but it was too late to call it off.  With his dying breath,
Emperor Turhan told Londo that he and Refa (who he refused to speak
to), were damned.
Lord Refa: "Well... It's a small enough price to pay for immortality
(with a smile)."
Londo, on the other hand, looked troubled by it.

Later, when G'Kar offered Londo a drink, he seemed to regret what he
had done.

This was his first deliberate use of the Shadow forces (although he
did not know who he was really dealing with).  It started the
Narn/Centauri war, and was probably his first chance to turn away from
the path he is on.

In The Fall of Night:
The Shadows bushwhack most of the Narn fleet (at Gorash 7) at Londo's
request.

This was Londo's second use of the Shadows to kill, though he still
does not know who is doing his fighting for him.  Or what the price
will be.  As his first use signaled the beginning of the war, this use
signaled it's end.
In other episodes, he got information from Morden, but I don't think
these interactions affected his chances for redemption significantly.

In Point of No Return:
Lady Morella told Londo:
"You have a chance few others will ever have, Molari.
You still have three opportunities to avoid the fire that waits for
you at the end of your journey.  You've already wasted tow others.

You must save the eye that does not see.
You must not kill the one who is already dead.
And at the last - you must surrender yourself to your greatest fear,
knowing it will destroy you.  Now, if you have failed all the others,
that is your final chance for redemption.

Londo: "I... do not understand."
Lady M.:  "Take the sign for what it is.  LOOK for it when it appears.
One more thing.  You WILL be Emperor.  That part of your destiny
cannot be avoided."

The Centauri "Eye" is the leading candidate, but prophetic visions
tend to be symbolic rather than literal, As Lady Morella stated.

The "eye that does not see" could mean a blind
seer/prophet(ess)/telepath that hasn't been introduced yet, but I
don't think so.  *See* doesn't have to mean *vision*.  It can also
refer to *understanding*.  This is further supported by the phrase
"does not see" rather than "cannot see".

In Signs and Portents, Londo said of the Eye:
"This is not a piece of jewelry.
This is not *the merchandise*.
This is *The Eye*, the oldest symbol of Centauri nobility.  The
property of the very first Emperor.

I think that Emperor Cartagia is "the Eye that does not see".  He is a
figurehead, and knows it (TFoN).  There are signs that he is taking an
active interest in what is happening (STV).  If he finds out about
Morden or the Shadows, or (some nameless Story Idea), he could find
himself Feeder Fodder (or worse).  I expect that *save* means more
than preserving his life.

Morden and Refa both qualify as already dead, in a spiritual/ethical
sense.  The difference is in what gets accomplished.  Londo has
neutralized Refa as a tool of the Shadows (CoLaD, IaE).  Morden needs
to replace him with someone more useful (IaE).  Using Morden to kill
Refa would serve the Shadows, and draw Londo farther toward the fire.
Killing Morden would be an act of defiance against the Shadows, not
serving their purposes.

The last one seems fairly straightforward after WWE2.  But is it?  At
the last, Londo surrendered to G'Kar to be strangled - giving Sheridan
and Delenn more time to escape.  But what is Londo's greatest fear?

Dying at the hands of a hated enemy, particularly one believed to be
inferior? (Is G'Kar still hated at this point?)

Dying alone and unnoticed/unmourned, having accomplished nothing great
and lasting in his life?

Certainly, being strangled by G'Kar has haunted his dreams.  But so
have the Shadows.  One thing that he has always clung to is putting
the welfare of the Centauri people ahead of his own ambition.

OTOH, Londo stated that having G'Kar strangle him was his last chance
for redemption.

I know!!  Let's watch, and find out!

"A herring is just a herring, but a good cigar is a Cuban". (Abbut,
Deathwalker)

--
Steve Rider
slr at minn.net  http://www1.minn.net/~slr