JMS on CompuServe (Sep 22, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sun Sep 22 20:51:18 EDT 1996

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/

    Sb: #580754-Narn Shadow Relationship
    Sb: #580794-JMS in the Forefront
    Sb: #580803-B5 in Philadelphia
    Sb: #580946-#B5 in Philadelphia
    Sb: #581006-The Accent
    Sb: #580825-SNOW WHITE CASTING CALL

   previous Narn experiences with the Shadows.  Wonders if it's true that
   the Shadows basically left the Narn alone until they started to fight
   back. Also asks if there are groups of Narn who follow different
   religious teachings and, thus, would not have taken G'Quon's teachings
   about the ancient enemy seriously. ]

 #: 580761 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    21-Sep-96  20:15:45
Sb: #580754-Narn Shadow Relationship
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Narn is somewhat factionalized itself, as is every world; there are
different followers of different denominations of sometimes similar basic
beliefs.  Catholics and Protestants are both members of the same faith, but a
Protestant doesn't recognize the power of the Pope; neither does a Mormon, or a
Lutheran.  Similarly, not everyone invests G'Quon with the same amount of
reverence or credibility.  And G'Kar can call upon those who believe similarly
to send out an expedition, but may not have the clout in the rest of the
goverment to do much more afterward.

      And yes, initially the shadows had no interest in the Narns, until such
time as the Narns, led by G'Quon, began to engage in sabotage and direct
attacks to drive them off their homeworld.  Then the killing started.

    21-Sep-96  22:37:39
Sb: #JMS in the Forefront
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

Just thought you might like to know that when I visited our local library
today, they had an exhibit, "Fall into Good Books," and the one at the very
front was the scriptwriting volume (the old version, and obviously
much-circulated).

-rje-

Beware the Revenge of Unanticipated Consequences...

 #: 580811 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Sep-96  01:32:50
Sb: #580794-JMS in the Forefront
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Really?  Cool...wait until the new version comes out....

                                                                    jms

   broadcasting of Babylon 5 in his area. ]

 #: 580813 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Sep-96  01:35:16
Sb: #580803-B5 in Philadelphia
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I've also gotten conflicting stories over what's happening there; all I
know for sure is that WB is working to rectify it.

                                                                    jms

 #: 581020 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Sep-96  13:37:37
Sb: #580946-#B5 in Philadelphia
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      We're still negotiating for the release of the tapes...last we heard
Nixon had 'em....

    22-Sep-96  12:54:55
Sb: #The Accent
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Hello, Joe;

I'd thought about something a long time ago and never commented on it for some
reason, but in reading an interview with Jason Carter I decided to do it.

Jason points out, correctly, that the American entertainment industry believes,
for some reason, that educated English accents represent villains.  I've
noticed this myself over the years and always thought it must be insulting to
those actors with such an accent.

But it also made me think about Babylon 5.  I'm aware of your concern of
casting the right person for the role, regardless of irrelevant
characteristics.  I think it shows through in this stereotype as well. I notice
that you have both good and bad guys on Babylon 5 with such accents, and you
have plenty of "bad" guys with other accents or none at all (to me as an
American, at least :-).

I just wanted to point this out to all and thank you for it.  It's just one
more reason why B5 has created a very believable universe populated with
realistic characters.

Now, if you can just do something about this stereotype of "bad" guys being the
only ones to wear glasses . . . 8-)

(Seriously, how come good guys rarely wear glasses on TV?  Whenever you see a
pair of spectacles, they're almost always on a "bad" guy . . .)

See ya,

  -- Brent

 #: 581021 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Sep-96  13:37:39
Sb: #581006-The Accent
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I dunno what problem others have with the ides of British actors as
heroes or good guys.  Maybe they're still fighting the colonial war....

                                                                    jms

   is trying to organize a show at the next Wolf convention. ]

 #: 581027 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Sep-96  13:45:31
Sb: #580825-SNOW WHITE CASTING CALL
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI