JMS on CompuServe (Sep 26, 1996) * FINAL FIVE SPOILERS *

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Sep 26 16:15:06 EDT 1996

 The following posts DO contain SPOILERS for

 This SPECIAL section of "JMS on CompuServe"
 posts contains spoilers for the Final Five
 episodes of season three.

 This SPECIAL section of "JMS on CompuServe"
 posts contains spoilers for the Final Five
 episodes of season three.

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/

    Sb: #582623-White Star (K'Z'D)
    Sb: #582741-<Z'Ha'Dum>
    Sb: #582686-Those final words .....
    Sb: #582889-<Those Darned Spheres>
    Sb: #582977-<<Surely Serling?>>
    Sb: #582979-Those final words .....
    Sb: #582984-G'Kar as Shadow ally?

 #: 582623 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    25-Sep-96  09:06:44
Sb: #582457-#White Star (K'Z'D)
Fm: ALAN MULVIE

 "   Who said they were speaking English?  In a WW II movie, when you go to the
Germans, you can understand what they're saying on the premise that yes, it's
German, but we're hearing it as English.  On the other hand, if Garibaldi
programmed them, then they may have been in English...there's no way to tell
exactly."

The Best way I've seen to counter this problem was a WW2 film about war Crimes.
(I think it starred Richard Burton.)  It started by Having the german speak
german and then the translator translate into english.  Then visa versa.  In
the middle of the discussion (just as it was getting gripping) the German
started speaking English, and the translators stopped talking.

The upshot of this was that the viewer (me) felt the german was still speaking
german, and the englishman was still speaking german, although both were really
speaking german.

Nowt to do with babylon 5 but a really good way of getting past the languauge
problem.

mlv

 #: 582715 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    25-Sep-96  16:29:29
Sb: #582623-White Star (K'Z'D)
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yes, if you have a translater in the room...but if you have two Narns
speaking in a room, they're not going to need a translator in there with them.

                                                                       jms

   and thank JMS for making Babylon 5.  Jokes about the way JMS is "willing
   to take all our harsh compliments on the chin." ]

 #: 582870 S7/Babylon 5 in the UK
    25-Sep-96  22:04:59
Sb: #582741-<Z'Ha'Dum>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  Generally, I'm here for both kinds of comments...there are
brickbats, and occasional roses, and you have to learn to take them both with a
fair amount of equanimity.  Unless they're just simply being unfair and
malicious, at which point you simply take their heads off and move on.

      But in general, I've found the criticisms here to be even-handed, fair
and often I agree with them.  The roses sustain one between brickbat festivals.

                                                                    jms

   "excellent and very thought-provoking" as well as "*beautifully* and
   movingly delivered by Andreas." ]

 #: 582871 S7/Babylon 5 in the UK
    25-Sep-96  22:05:02
Sb: #582686-Those final words .....
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, Andreas did a terrific job on the end monologue.  Very moving.

    25-Sep-96  20:47:59
Sb: #<Those Darned Spheres>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Howdy, Joe;

After having watched "Shadow Dancing" and "Z'Ha'Dum," I have a question.

It's not a terribly important question, but, damnit, it's eating at me for some
reason.

The scene in which Delenn drops the snowglobe seems to be a different scene
each of the three times we've seen it.  Is it?  And, if it is, why is it?  Was
it shot for each episode?  I'd think that such a shot, with no actors in it at
all, could simply be reused.  Since each was supposed to be of the exact same
event, why risk getting them different each time?

Thanks,

  -- Brent

 #: 582967 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    26-Sep-96  00:12:16
Sb: #582889-<Those Darned Spheres>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Sometimes there are practical considerations in the overall staging; when
we shot the flash-forward, Melissa wasn't there, so when she was, there was
some interest in restaging things.

    26-Sep-96  00:50:23
Sb: #<<Surely Serling?>>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Ok, Joe, I'm going nuts here.

I've rewatched "Z'Ha'Dum" again and some lines are just so familiar: When
Justin starts explaining about the people who make the decisions and that he's
with them, same group, different department.

I *think* I recall something very similar to that in an episode of Twilight
Zone.  Am I correct?  Is that a Serling line you've honored us with?

If it's yours alone, then I apologize, but I'd *swear* I've heard it, or
something like it, elsewhere.  Am I just nuts?  (Don't answer that!)

Curiously yours,

  -- Brent

 #: 583141 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    26-Sep-96  11:34:39
Sb: #582977-<<Surely Serling?>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, it's not from anything I'm aware of, though it's a concept that
seems very natural.

                                                                       jms

   if it was a change or just the lighting. ]

 #: 583142 S7/Babylon 5 in the UK
    26-Sep-96  11:34:40
Sb: #582979-Those final words .....
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Probably the lighting.

                                                                       jms

   *all* are to be saved" makes him more likely to agree with the Shadows'
   motives than the Vorlons. ]

 #: 583143 S7/Babylon 5 in the UK
    26-Sep-96  11:34:41
Sb: #582984-G'Kar as Shadow ally?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I think that reasoning can be applied to any side.