ATTN GEORGE: Babylon 5 on DVD?

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sat Apr 12 06:13:42 EDT 1997

From: "Clay Johanson" <clayj at microsoft.com>
Date: 4 Apr 1997 12:16:39 -0500

Hello George!

I know in the past it has been mentioned that Babylon 5 may eventually be
released, not on videotape, but on DVD. I've recently obtained a Pioneer
DVL-700 combination LD and DVD player, and I've found that the picture
quality of DVD is superior to that of LD (and waaaaay beyond videotape).
Anyway, I have a few questions concerning B5 and DVD:

1. Warner Brothers appears to be the biggest proponent of DVD to date; they
are releasing quite a few movies on DVD (including Blade Runner, my
favorite), and seem to be far ahead of the pack with regards to future DVD
plans. Given that this is the case, can you give an estimate of the
likelihood of B5 being released at some point on DVD? (Don't worry, I won't
hold you to the estimate... just some kind of idea is all I'm looking for.)

2. If B5 is released on DVD, will it be released in widescreen (16x9)
format? Will it still be encoded in Dolby Digital/Surround? (These are both
musts, in my opinion.)

3. Typically, a single-layer, single-side DVD can hold about 133 minutes of
material. Since two episodes of B5, less commercials, is only about 84
minutes (I believe), would it be possible to do any of the following to
fill out the rest of the disc?:

 - Include extra footage originally cut from the episodes due to time
constraints (sort of a Producer's Cut type deal)
 - Include footage of JMS discussing cool stuff in the episode
 - Include multiple languages (English obviously, but also French, Spanish,
German, etc.) or multiple subtitles
 - Include cast information (like they do on the Blade Runner DVD) and easy
chapter search (also on the BR DVD)
 - Use the dual-layer process to lessen the amount of compression used in
the video (this would help to increase picture quality even more, wouldn't
it?)
 - Put a second Audio track in (like they do on some laserdiscs) where JMS,
Doug Netter, Mr. Copeland, and yourself could discuss the process of
creating the episode, cool trivia, etc.
 - Include the trailers for upcoming episodes

B5 fans are well-known gadget junkies, so there's a strong likelihood that
WB would rake in the bucks if they released the entire B5 series on DVD.
Assuming 5 seasons @ 22 episodes per season, plus a 2 "episode" pilot, that
would be 112 episodes, or 56 DVDs. At $20-$25 each, a complete set of B5
would cost $1120-$1400... that may seem like a lot of money, but I know
that I would definitely spend it to receive the entire series. If 100,000
B5 fans purchased the entire series, that would equate to $112-$140
*million* dollars in sales for WB... and I believe that even more sets than
that would actually be sold.

Anyway, I thank you for your time, and for any response!

Clay Johanson

NOTE: The opinions in this post are mine and do not necessarily represent
those of Microsoft Corporation.