JMS on CompuServe (Apr 26, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sat Apr 26 15:56:30 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #664647->>Racing Mars<< worries
    Sb: #664716-Hugo Ballot Announced!

 #: 664647 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    24-Apr-97  22:13:51
Sb: #>>Racing Mars<< worries
Fm: TONI MULLER

I don't know what I was expecting, but I was very unsettled by this episode.
And that's a compliment!  The growing (and public) tension between Sheridan and
Garibaldi (superb acting by both Bruce and Jerry), as well as those men who
approached Garibaldi, have me really nervous about what is going to happen in
the future.  And to know how pervasive those icky shadow minions seem to be
(guess we'll learn more about them next week)...We saw the episode on vacation
and can you believe that at times I felt anxious, wondering what could be
bothering me, only to realize I was worried about John, Delenn, Garibaldi and
Babylon5?  It's just a show, I tell myself, but you have created characters so
real that I can't wait to see if they are going to be okay.  Thank you!

The scenes with Franklin, Marcus and Captain Jack were wonderful.  I needed the
humor after the tension of the Sheridan/Garibali interactions, though the humor
was not overdone or out of place.  I was always keenly aware of the danger
Franklin and Marcus were entering, which added a bit of an edge to the humor
itself.  Sort of like bittersweet humor - eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow
we die.

And, of course, I was glad that Delenn and John are now moving along in their
relationship (though Lennier seems a bit perplexed <g>).  Please tell us that
her caste, position, etc. requires fewer than fifty rituals before they can
actually get hitched.

I am a bit confused as to why no one on the command staff has asked for a
reassessment of Garibaldi's physical/mental state.  Of course, Franklin would
be most likely to and he's off-station.  It seems like someone should be more
worried about him than anyone seems to be.

 #: 664788 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    25-Apr-97  15:19:03
Sb: #664647->>Racing Mars<< worries
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks...unsettled is just the right reaction.  And yeah, someone is
going to start wondering soon enough about his behavior.

    25-Apr-97  09:27:44
Sb: #664687-#Hugo Ballot Announced!
Fm: DAVID GERROLD

Thanks, Rob,

I have no idea what the position is of the writers of the episode.  I have been
told that they're angry at me for protesting the writers' guild arbitration.
If that is true, then I doubt they're going to want to say anything on my
behalf.  It would certainly be a kind gesture, and you're right that it's in
their best interests to be generous.  But, considering the history of this
whole business, I have no hopes that anyone at Paramount is going to consider
my concerns.

Again, I want to say that they wrote a terrific episode.  I said at the time
that it was Hugo quality, and they fully deserve their nomination for the
clever way they built a new episode on top of existing footage.

dg

 #: 664789 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Apr-97  15:26:20
Sb: #664716-Hugo Ballot Announced!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Obvious question, though, is...are you going to bring this up in the ST
section as well as areas mainly visited by B5 folks?  I don't think they know
the situation among the ranks of ST fans, and they might be able to do more
inside.