JMS on CompuServe (Aug 01, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Aug 1 21:04:28 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #689705-but
    Sb: #690217-#wolf 359
    Sb: #690250-The Casting Process
    Sb: #690066-#->402
    Sb: #690353-->402

 #: 689705 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Jul-97  07:08:58
Sb: #689600-#but
Fm: CHAD UNDERKOFFLER

>>[Excellent advice snipped]<<

        Thanx, Joe.

        Out of curiousity, what do you think of Dibell's PLOT?

Rage
Ranger of Washingdome
"Huck like mocha! <cheeka!>" -- BANANA LOVE, the Bobs

 #: 689952 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Jul-97  19:37:29
Sb: #689705-but
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Out of curiousity, what do you think of Dibell's PLOT?"

      Dunno, never read it.

      Don't read books on sex, either.

      Some things you have to learn on instinct.

                                                                    jms

 #: 690287 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Aug-97  01:56:09
Sb: #690217-#wolf 359
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"I would like to express my appreciation for the way that you and all the
members of the cast at Blackpool gave no hint of the turmoil going on over that
weekend."

      Thanks.  You are kinder than honesty would warrant.  We were all more
than a bit upset as we watched things unravel in front of our eyes; Bruce was
about as upset as I've ever seen him, although he buttoned it up beautifully
when the fans came around, because they deserved only the best.  I did my best
there, but there were lapses...I was sharper tempered than I should have been
with a couple of stewards, because I was more at the direct center of the whole
situation, and immensely frustrated and bugged at the whole thing. I guess
that's why I'm a writer and not an actor.  But it's been nagging at me ever
since I left, frankly, because they had no way of knowing what was going on, or
why I was in that state, and they certainly didn't do anything to merit that.

    31-Jul-97  20:27:26
Sb: #The Casting Process
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

jms -

Since the you are undoubtedly being besieged by "you should cast <insert name
of choice> for your new character," could you shed light on the casting
process, whether it be for a regular or a guest shot?

You've said that you (as execprod) wait for someone to come in and knock you
socks off (or something to that effect), but is there a sort of cabal of
casting directors (now there's a term of venery for you <g>) who get together
from time to time and trade promising people ("Whoziwhatsis wasn't right for
the show we're casting, but he/she might be dynamite for your show...")?  Do
casting directors actively seek out actors they've seen do guest shots on other
shows, or do they wait for the more savvy actors' agents to do their thing?

-rje- But then there was a star danced, and under that was I born.

 #: 690288 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Aug-97  01:56:12
Sb: #690250-The Casting Process
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Our casting director, Fern Champion (and I can't tell you the amount of
humor we have with that name), like all casting directors, makes the rounds of
theaters and movies and TV shows to see who's hot.  So she has her own list.
On top of that, once a role comes out in a script, it goes out to actor's
agents in what's called a "breakdown," a two- or three-paragraph description of
the character: age, sex, attitude, the part itself, guest or recur or
regular...all that.  The various agents then send the info on to their clients
who seem to fit the bill.  Then if the actor is interested, the agents sends
"sides," meaning pages from the script in which the character appears.

      If the actor likes the sides, and the character, the agent then contacts
the casting director and tries to get their client into the audition.  There's
some prescreening...if we see the resume ahead of time, and actor X doesn't
have the training or experience, we move on...but in the end, we get anywhere
from 5-9 people in for an audition.  If we like one of those, we cast that
person.  If we're caught on two, we do a callback with those two and decide.
(We = the CD, me, John, Doug and the director.)

                                                                    jms

 #: 690289 S7/Babylon 5: UK/World
    01-Aug-97  01:56:15
Sb: #690066-#->402
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I could write all of S5, but at this point there is no *need* to do so,
so why do it?  Just for the record?  No...I'm just as happy to bring in a few
outside scripts.  Not many, only about 5, just to break it up a little.

                                                                    jms

 #: 690353 S7/Babylon 5: UK/World
    01-Aug-97  05:58:46
Sb: #690289-#->402
Fm: GERARD KEATING (IRELAND)

Joe,

>> No...I'm just as happy to bring in a few outside scripts. <<

Any chance of another Peter David Script???

Thanks

 #: 690472 S7/Babylon 5: UK/World
    01-Aug-97  16:35:14
Sb: #690353-->402
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, Peter David and Bill Mumy will jointly be writing at least one
script.