JMS on CompuServe (Feb 27, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Feb 27 16:41:20 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #651379-<Greatest 10 Seconds>
    Sb: #651558-Conspiracy of Light Conv
    Sb: #pen names
    Sb: #651593-<Epiphanies>
    Sb: #651617-<409: Shades of Red>
    Sb: #651622-<Atonements>
    Sb: #Official: No year 5
    Sb: #651695-#Official: No year 5
    Sb: #651706-Cindy LOVED Demon Night
    Sb: #651719-<409: Shades of Red>
    Sb: #651774-Image of a Vorlon
    Sb: #651799-#<Epiphanies>
    Sb: #To Sysops from jms

 #: 651379 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    25-Feb-97  15:17:05
Sb: #<Greatest 10 Seconds>
Fm: WILL CARAWAY

Joe,
        just wanted to let you know that I think Illusion of Truth contains the
best 10 seconds of TV ever.  The end of the scene just before the start of
ISN's report was great.  My wife and I sat there for a seeming eternity trying
to figure out how our local Ford dealer had managed to survive into the
twenty-third century.  Then the DUH monent set in and once again we were
prostrate on the floor bowing before the master.  I don't know how you come up
with stuff, and if the rest of the writing community isn't green with envy they
just ain't payin' attention.

                Regards,
                Will

 #: 651648 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    26-Feb-97  13:52:09
Sb: #651379-<Greatest 10 Seconds>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks...it was fun....

    26-Feb-97  07:41:51
Sb: #Conspiracy of Light Conv
Fm: CATHERINE BECIC

I hope you read the Zocalo and saw their announcement on this convention put on
by a group called Code 7R. In short, they are having the B5 convention in
Florida in May of 1998 and are asking for people to send a $100 registration
fee by 3/15/97 so they can get an attendance estimate.   It is too long to cut
and paste here.  Here is my reply to Jan, the Editor.

[[

 I'm the skeptical type.  Are these guys for real?  Did I miss the description
 of what facility they are talking about?  I'm sorry, but at this point I am
 VERY WARY about sending these people money.  Sure I'll go and would like to
 make a reservation, but is this legit?  Did you as publishers check this
 thing out?  What kind of reassurances are we getting from you, B5 staff and
 crew, JMS, etc?  Would appreciate further information in next week's issue.
]]

What do you know of this?  Based on past con experiences and the frauds that
are out there, I want more information.  Thanks.

Catherine Becic

 #: 651652 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Feb-97  14:07:36
Sb: #651558-Conspiracy of Light Conv
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       My knowledge and association is at some distance.  I met with some of
the people putting this together while I was in Florida, and they include a
number of folks who have been long-time online supporters of B5, who apparently
have a good background running conventions.  I know that they are making a
honest effort of this, and are doing all they can to make it a good convention.
Beyond that, I can't say that we're actively involved in it. It has all the
earmarks of something that would work out, but I have no way of knowing that,
any more than any other first-time convention...except to know the intentions
of the people, which are good, and their experience, which seems to be solid.

                                                                       jms

 #: 651653 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Feb-97  14:07:38
Sb: #pen names
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I just chose not to go the pen name route for myself, it's not meant as
a general statement for others.  I figure if I do all the work creating
something, it's not unreasonable to expect people to work their way through
pronouncing Straczynski....

    26-Feb-97  10:51:45
Sb: #<Epiphanies>
Fm: CARL CANTARELLA

Joe,

        When Garibaldi spoke to Zach about his hiring him, were you harkening
back at all to when you hired Jeff for the role when you wrote that particular
scene? Jeff's career did go on a downward spiral to nowhere after he left
"Taxi," whereas his costars went on to other things, and in some cases even
bigger fame. I know he had a rough time trying to find work.
                I was just wondering.  ';-)

 #: 651654 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    26-Feb-97  14:07:38
Sb: #651593-<Epiphanies>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Jeff has certainly had his share of rough breaks, and we were very happy
to give him a home here on B5.

    26-Feb-97  11:59:42
Sb: #<409: Shades of Red>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

    A friend and I noticed something odd about a scene in "Atonement."  We were
wondering if you could let us know if it is the way we see it or if it's an
artifact of the lighting or blue screen process.

    In the scene where Delenn tells Callenn that she will offer her mixed
heritage as her defnese and then she and Lennier march off, she's wearing a
dark, deep red dress/robe with a blue over-coat.  When Callenn calls to them
and the angle switches to the two of them apparently walking toward the Clan
gathering, her dress appears to be of a different color.  In this angle, it's a
light red with a blue over-coat.

    The color/hue change is clearly visible, so I was wondering if this was a
costume error or if it was caused by the production or post- production
process.

Thanks,

  -- Brent

P.S.     Ahh, the picky trivial questions now begin with the start of re- run
[censored] . . .   :-)

 #: 651656 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    26-Feb-97  14:07:45
Sb: #651617-<409: Shades of Red>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I'll have to verify what you report, but if it's there, my guess is that
it's an artifact of the blue-screen that was behind her for the second shot.

    26-Feb-97  12:12:00
Sb: #<Atonements>
Fm: JOHN BOVENMYER

Joe,

Lovely episode and one that beautifully showed the other side of the events in
the Michael York episode.  As usual the acting was superb.  Nice to see G'Kar
still has some playfullness left.  I trust the lady doctor who took over while
Franklin was walkabout can adjust his eye while Franklin is on Mars.  Mira
convincingly portrayed the differences between the different ages and maturity
of her character.  Seeing Dukhat in action it's easy to see why the Minbari so
revered him.  Am I correct that Dukhat is the first Minbari we've seen with
facial hair?  Is that important?

Did Sinclair/Valen ever realize Delenn's heritage?  Might this newly mentioned
mystery about Valen's end foreshadow it's resolution in future episodes?

Did I hear correctly that Calenn is Delenn's brother and they had other
brothers die along with Dukhat?

Now to rest up for the next batch of episodes in which the plot again will move
as fast as Marcus sings...

John

 #: 651657 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    26-Feb-97  14:07:45
Sb: #651622-<Atonements>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, Calenn was not Delenn's brother; the grey councilor speaks of
brothers in the generic sense.

       Draal, in his first appearance, also had a small beard.

       And thanks....

                                                                       jms

 #: 651659 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Feb-97  14:11:25
Sb: #Official: No year 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, the Netter release DOES NOT specifically state that there will not
be a season 5.  It talks about the current 88 episodes in the can, which TNT
wants to go with asap, but we've been told by WB that a concurrent airing of
season 5 and the TNT reruns is a possibility, so it's still in the discussion
process.

    26-Feb-97  16:12:40
Sb: #651659-#Official: No year 5
Fm: COLIN KNOWLES

I noticed an interesting statement in the PR...

>>This order for two Babylon 5 television movies
validates *the Company's strategy to build programming franchises with its
production properties.*<<

Isn't this pretty much completely against what you've intended from day one
about B5?  It certainly sounds like Netter Digital wants to make a Trek out of
B5.

Also, could you give us any tantilizing hints about "Babylon 5: In the
Beginning"? <g>

 #: 651738 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Feb-97  18:12:59
Sb: #651695-#Official: No year 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Re: "programming franchises"...I agree.  I went and yelled on Doug
today, because this came out of the offices of the financial guys in his
company, and their only goal is to make everything big and productive sounding
for their stockholders, and that's the kind of language they love. I didn't
even see the thing until I logged on today...and created several new orifices
for him in the area of "these things never go out unless I see them first!"
Financial people and creative people have different concerns and different
priorities.  (Which is why there were no quotes from me in this, I didn't know
it was going out.)

       So people have been yelled at on this one.

    26-Feb-97  16:51:00
Sb: #651212-#Cindy LOVED Demon Night
Fm: ROWAN KAISER

>> No, the next novel has nothing to do with B5, anymore than did my first
two.<<

What about that paragraph about "the one" or something from Othersyde? <eg>

Is a novel about Sinclair/Zathras or G'Quon and G'Lan still possible?

Postmaster General Rowan SOLD!, HTC, KP, SP, MiSTie, Montie
"I will not re-transmit without the express permission of Major League
Baseball"
        - Bart on the board

 #: 651739 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Feb-97  18:13:01
Sb: #651706-Cindy LOVED Demon Night
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       The new version of the B5 comic will have more info on Valen/Zathras.

    26-Feb-97  17:33:01
Sb: #651656-#<409: Shades of Red>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Re: Dress color change

    Thanks.  I figured it was probably because of the bluescreen, since the
basic color was the same and it didn't happen anywhere else.  I was just
curious.  Do you have any idea why bluescreen would do that sort of thing to
some colors?  And, is there anything that can be done to avoid it?

  -- Brent

 #: 651740 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    26-Feb-97  18:13:02
Sb: #651719-<409: Shades of Red>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I think they had to tweak the color in the transfer to avoid the problem
of blue against blue, and having the virtual set bleed through.

                                                                       jms

   came out of his suit in "Falling Toward Apotheosis." ]

 #: 651830 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Feb-97  01:01:47
Sb: #651774-Image of a Vorlon
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Because it takes concentration to pull it off, and Kosh2 was kinda
distracted....

    26-Feb-97  22:11:12
Sb: #651654-#<Epiphanies>
Fm: RAY PELZER

 > Jeff has certainly had his share of rough breaks, and we were very happy to
 > give him a home here on B5.

 ....have you ever considered the fact that between Jeff Conaway, Stephen
Furst, and several others, you've made B5 into a haven where unappreciated and
typecast actors have been able to shine with their respective skills while
flipping a thespian finger at all those who've ignored them?

 #: 651831 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Feb-97  01:01:49
Sb: #651799-#<Epiphanies>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That sometimes occurs to me....

      They're all fine actors who've been vastly underappreciated, under
utilized, and typecast.  We don't cater to that.

    27-Feb-97  02:37:37
Sb: #To Sysops from jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Some recent rumors have come to my attention over the last few days,
which I hope, in this forum, to put to rest.

      The rumors concern messages, posted here, which may have used the
occasional reference -- largely allowed on television, in magazines, on the
radio and elsewhere -- words such as "pissed off" or "ass," that have been
deleted or moved out of public view.  That is to say...censored.

      Understand that those words are good enough for the Bible, which tells us
that god will "cut off from His presence he who pisseth against the wall," and
refers to the "jawbone of an ass."  Now, if such language is good enough for
the Bible, then it seems to me that such terms should be good enough for
Compuserve.

      Now, I say "rumors" because I'm sure that the sysops will now come forth
and explain that this was a terrible misunderstanding, that no such thing ever
happened, and will not happen in future.

      Granted, obviously, there are certain words and phrases that have no
place in a forum such as this...the really Tough Words.  "Pissed off" and "ass"
are not tough words...they are not even firecrackers in the world of harsh
language, nowhere near the occasional cannon or howitzer that is out there.

      Further, more disturbing, are the rumors that messages inquiring about
these censored messages, which do not in and of themselves contain any such
language, have THEMSELVES been deleted or moved out of public view (essentially
the same thing).  That it is now inappropriate and unallowable to even ASK
about such things, regardless of language used.  And that such heavy handedness
has caused the resignation of a number of forum members here.

      I say rumors, and I say unfounded rumors, because surely even Compuserve
would not actually take such action, and I'm confident will now step forward to
say otherwise.  Why do I believe this?

      Because Compuserve has a public image to maintain, and the information
that it was driving off users and deleting messages for asking questions about
censored messages would cause a furor of substantial proportions.

      Because I will be sure to post many colorful quotes from the Bible in
this space, and when they are removed, inform the National Council of Churches
that Compuserve is deleting material from the Bible on the grounds that people
should not see it.  In sum, censoring the Bible.  This should go over extremely
well in the press.

      Because Compuserve and the sysops must know that if such rumors *were*
true that I would be forced to resign from this area myself, rather than
tacitly endorse such heavy handedness.  I would publicly announce that this
area is not conducive to the open discussion of this show, and that users
should apply elsewhere.

      Because on a daily basis, I give interviews to major newspapers,
magazines, television shows, radio shows, internet publications and other
venues in which I am asked about the online discussions of Babylon 5; I speak
at conventions across the country where these matters are also discussed. And
if this really *were* the situation here on CIS, then in all of these
interviews I would have no other choice than to talk about messages censored
simply for asking about policies on censorship and their rationalization, let
alone for essentially innocuous words.  I would talk about it *at length*, and
ensure that every newspaper and magazine and TV show and radio show and
internet publication and convention I spoke to printed or discussed this
information at length.

      I would obtain the name of the CEO of Compuserve, and pass along that
information to journalists so that they could verify this for themselves, since
the idea is, as stated above, utterly ludicrous...that any reasonably sane
person could behave in such a capricious and brutish manner.  If this policy
were in fact being enforced, then I should imagine that the CEO of Compuserve
would only be *thrilled* to defend its practice to journalists at all hours of
the day.

      Compuserve would surely know that such behavior can exist only in the
shadows, and that nothing so illuminates the corners of such a discussion as a
few well-aimed journalists...and where the average person might not have a
means of getting the word out...I do.  And I have an obligation to the many B5
fans using this service to maintain the *reasonable and justifiable* limits of
language that have always been used here in the past, and that a show which
encourages the asking of questions will support those of its fans who choose to
ask questions of others, including "Why was that deleted?" without having to
fear that inquiry being itself deleted or otherwise obscured.

      I expect now that the messages inquiring about deleted or "disappeared"
messages will be restored, and reasonable discussion be permitted here, and
this whole silly rumor discounted once and for all.