JMS on CompuServe (Jan 03, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Jan 3 21:49:53 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #633518-#Message to Great Maker
    Sb: #633579-#Is it my breath?
    Sb: #633631-TD: Rod Serling
    Sb: #633680-The Alliance (UK Con)
    Sb: #633690-Something . . .
    Sb: #633703-Is it my breath?

 #: 633518 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Jan-97  18:51:51
Sb: #633214-#Message to Great Maker
Fm: GABRIEL KOERNER

I'm wondering, Joe, do you at all know Harlan Ellison? I'm a fan of his
works...

As a literary SF lover, I'm sure you've read Asimov. My favorite works of his
are the Foundation novels (atleast the original trilogy... the only one I liked
of the later four was "Foundation's Edge", and even that paled in comparison
with the original trilogy). I'm also an avid fan of his robot novels...

Do you, with all your responsibilities, still have time to delve into the realm
of literary science fiction?

                                --Gabriel

 #: 633611 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Jan-97  02:04:18
Sb: #633518-#Message to Great Maker
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Harlan's our consultant on the show, and has been my friend for many
years.  So I definitely know his work.

    02-Jan-97  21:59:40
Sb: #Is it my breath?
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

 (This didn't seem to be *that* bad a question, so I figure you might
  have missed it the first time I sent it.  If you ignored it on
  purpose, then just ignore it again -- I'll get the drift.)

Joe,

    Should we assume that Major Atumbe isn't part of the command staff of the
Army of Light?  I take it that he/she's still third in command of the station
(although why was Delenn running C&C in "The Summoning"?  I know, Atumbe works
the night shift...), but not in the command ranks of the AoL.

    I say this, because you would think Atumbe'd be present at some of the
important War Council meetings if he/she were involved in that side of things
(I mean if Zack, a sergeant, is present, you'd think Atumbe, a major, would be
present).

    I realize that production-wise, it simply isn't realistic to cast someone
to play Atumbe and, essentially, add a new regular character, so that's why I'm
going on the assumption that Atumbe is part of the B5 chain of command and not
part of the AoL chain of command.  Is this a fair assumption?  Will Atumbe ever
be seen or the character's role in things ever addressed?

Thanks,

  -- Brent (who, for some reason, thinks about these obscure details during
re-run season)

 #: 633612 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Jan-97  02:04:20
Sb: #633579-#Is it my breath?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'd assume he'd mainly stay within his division; not everybody is in the
AoL chain of command, or it'd get unweildy.

                                                                    jms

   Era.  Also, asks if Serling was a fan of Norman Corwin, as one of his
   characters in a Twlight Zone episode was named Corwin. ]

 #: 633758 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    03-Jan-97  16:18:03
Sb: #633631-TD: Rod Serling
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Everyone who came up as a writer during that time was in danger of being
blacklisted or greylisted, or at minimum knew other writers and actors who had
been listed and had their careers killed.  Some actors, like Jeff Corey, didn't
work again for almost 20 years.  So certainly it had a profound effect on
Serling and others.

       As for Corwin...yes, Rod was a big fan of Norman's work, and cited him
as a kind of writer's writer.  He began trying to do Corwin-like stuff, as did
Bradbury and many other writers.  Norman is one of those writers whose work may
not be known to the public as well as it should, but writers, any writer
interested in genuine quality of language and vision...we know his work.
People like Bradbury and Stan Freberg and Charles Kuralt and others have all
described themselves as "Norman's kids" for the inspiration he has provided.

                                                                       jms

   first visit to Forbidden Planet in London.  In the story, JMS says that
   only three people showed up and one of them didn't even know he was
   going to be there.  This poster says she was that one person. ]

 #: 633759 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Jan-97  16:18:04
Sb: #633680-The Alliance (UK Con)
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yup.  I remember.  You seemed quite fuddled to run into me there.

    03-Jan-97  11:29:20
Sb: #633473-#Something . . .
Fm: ROWAN KAISER

>>It's kept me answerable and responsive, and that has the side effect of
keeping you modest and honest.<<

And that's one of the main reasons we like you . . . sort of a symbiotic
relationship, or something. . .

>>It hasn't substantially affected the B5 storyline because the story is the
story; any big committee, network or otherwise, will only work against you at
the creative level.<<

Have you ever done anything on the show because of a feeling or request on the
nets?

Earthstar and the new kitty    T minus ?? days
"Silly customer!  You cannot hurt a Twinkie!"
Babbler, SOLD!, KP, SP, Montie, SPAMM, etc.

 #: 633760 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Jan-97  16:18:05
Sb: #633690-Something . . .
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Nothing substantial that I can think of, no.

    03-Jan-97  13:11:57
Sb: #633612-#Is it my breath?
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Re: Atombe

    As I suspected.  Thanks.  But, did you catch the final part of my post?
Will we ever see/hear of/from Atombe at any point in the story or is he just
background texture?

  -- Brent

 #: 633761 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Jan-97  16:18:06
Sb: #633703-Is it my breath?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Depends on if I can work it in seamlessly or not.  It's kinda late in
the day to begin introducing characters.