JMS on CompuServe (Jan 24, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Jan 24 13:26:58 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #Another John?
    Sb: #640631-From jms re: yr 4/5
    Sb: #640652-Writing
    Sb: #640710-Press and Year 5
    Sb: #640938-From jms re: yr 4/5
    Sb: #640788-#Another John?
    Sb: #640794-Another John?
    Sb: #640894-Too Much Success?
    Sb: #640956-#"Lensman" Series
    Sb: #641007-From jms re: yr 4/5
    Sb: #641002-Press and Year 5

   Miller. ]

 #: 640769 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Jan-97  01:29:06
Sb: #Another John?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      More than I can tell you, I would *love* to do a film or miniseries
version of "Canticle."  I *love* that book.

                                                                    jms

 #: 640771 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Jan-97  01:46:50
Sb: #640631-From jms re: yr 4/5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      My credits list is very long and very dull and very boring...can there be
anything less interesting than somebody reciting their work history?

    22-Jan-97  15:43:51
Sb: #640242-#Writing
Fm: RAE AUGENSTEIN

>> In the latter case you mention, having nothing, and being under the gun, I
always, *always* start with character rather than a series of incidents or plot
points. <<

If you did that the other way around, you might have a multi-billion-dollar
mega blockbuster action movie. <EG>

Your description of how you write an episode is almost how I've written the
*very* few stories I've done. I usually have a dream which starts me to
thinking about something, then through daydreaming (or brainstorming, whatever
you want to call it) I work out most of the story.

BTW, I've been reading some more Bradbury lately (the short stories in "I Sing
the Body Electric"), and I just love his work. Are you a fan of his? I think my
favorite story of his is the one of the third Earth expedition to Mars, where
the Earth astronauts are detained by the Martians because the Martians think
they're crazy, since they claim to be from Earth. I love twists like that!

And one more thing while I've got your ear: don't work so hard that you don't
get to see Star Wars in the theater again starting next Friday. =)

        Rae ^^^^

 #: 640772 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Jan-97  01:46:52
Sb: #640652-Writing
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, I've always enjoyed Bradbury's work, though more the earlier stuff
than the later stuff.

                                                                    jms

   movies for TNT and stated that season 5 "looks doubtful". ]

 #: 640773 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Jan-97  01:46:53
Sb: #640710-Press and Year 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's the same we've had from the start.  Some say yes, some say no, and
the press usually reports the no's because they're more interesting than the
yes's.

                                                                    jms

   were in the works." ]

 #: 641039 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Jan-97  22:09:32
Sb: #640938-From jms re: yr 4/5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      3 to four OTHER spinoffs?!

      The thud you just heard was me fainting.

      No...definitely not the case.  Yikes....

                                                                    jms

 #: 641040 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Jan-97  22:09:34
Sb: #640788-#Another John?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Given that it's a seminal work of SF, I'm sure *somebody* must have the
rights....

    23-Jan-97  04:55:36
Sb: #640769-#Another John?
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

 >>  More than I can tell you, I would *love* to do a film or miniseries
version of "Canticle."  I *love* that book.  <<

Did you ever hear the NPR radio dramatization?  It was really special.
(Actually, I think I still have it on tape!)

Anne

 #: 641041 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Jan-97  22:09:36
Sb: #640794-Another John?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I caught bits and pieces of it...what I heard, I liked.

                                                                    jms

 #: 641042 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Jan-97  22:09:38
Sb: #640894-Too Much Success?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, the sequel and the fifth year could conceivably happen at the same
time...or not...or one or the other...it's utterly in flux.  Totally fluxed up.

                                                                    jms

 #: 641043 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Jan-97  22:09:40
Sb: #640956-#"Lensman" Series
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, they're written in order, and whoever you're buying them from
will likely have that information, or they'll be released that way.  From
memory, I don't have them in front of me, it goes from Triplanetary to Lensman,
Second Stage Lensman, Grey Lensman and Children of the Lens...I think that's
right....

                                                                    jms

 #: 641044 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Jan-97  22:16:28
Sb: #641007-From jms re: yr 4/5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      If it's just shows, then there's also He-Man, She-Ra, Jayce and the
Wheeled Warriors, Real Ghostbusters (animation all)...then the live stuff with
Captain Power, the new Twilight Zone, Murder She Wrote, Nightmare Classics,
Jake and the Fatman, Walker Texas Ranger and B5.

                                                                    jms

 #: 641045 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Jan-97  22:16:29
Sb: #641002-Press and Year 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, TNT will show the pilot movie.  The theory is to do the prequel
first, then the pilot, then the series through one run at least, then the
second original TV movie to freshen the cycle, then onward.