JMS on CompuServe (Jan 30, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Jan 30 16:50:31 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #642630-#Scott Adams cameo
    Sb: #642608-#New episode...
    Sb: #642547-#Mr Garibaldi
    Sb: #642646-B5 cancelled?
    Sb: #642658-<<The Long Night>>
    Sb: #642738-New episode...
    Sb: #642788-Scott Adams cameo
    Sb: #642789-New episode...
    Sb: #642887-#NATPE & Rumors
    Sb: #642978-#Harlan on 'PI'
    Sb: #643039-#Harlan
    Sb: #642948-#<<The Long Night>>
    Sb: #643043-#The Long Night
    Sb: #643015-Catherine Sakai

 #: 642630 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Jan-97  16:46:37
Sb: #Scott Adams cameo
Fm: RUTH SPRADLIN

John Carman writes a column about television for the San Francisco Chronicle.
Today he sez: "'Dilbert" creator Scott Adams recently told TV Guide that he's a
big fan of the sci-fi series 'Babylon 5.' So -- what the hey? -- the show's
executive producer, J. Michael Stracynzki, offered Adams a cameo appearance on
'Babylon 5' and Adams quickly accepted. Adams is due in Los Angeles next week
to film the episode, which will air in May. And how was the offer extended and
accepted? All by e-mail, of course."
     Good work, Joe. Let's see ... will he be a Narn, a Centauri or a Ratbert?

 #: 642639 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Jan-97  17:05:02
Sb: #642630-#Scott Adams cameo
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Nope, it'll be as a human.  It's a small role but should be good for
Dilbert fans.

    28-Jan-97  15:15:30
Sb: #New episode...
Fm: MR. TRACY SCHELL

I saw the latest episode and it was pretty good except I had pretty much
forgotten what was happening since it's been so long since the last new
episode...

One gripe...I couldn't believe that Cartiga(sp?) was able to man handle Londo
like that...I would think that the Emperor is so pampered and spoiled that he
would be a poster boy for 98lbs weaklings...

Mr.T- Who ducks when Delta Rockets explode!

 #: 642643 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    28-Jan-97  17:09:10
Sb: #642608-#New episode...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Two things....

       The episode that preceded "The Long Night" aired last week...and bear in
mind that Cartagia has never been shown to be weak...he's young, and Londo
ain't...he takes pride in being a lady's man, so given that he got behind
Londo, a weak position for anyone, it's very reasonable.

                                                                       jms

   such a bad-risk case. ]

 #: 642644 S7/Babylon 5: UK/World
    28-Jan-97  17:09:11
Sb: #642547-#Mr Garibaldi
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       He got his clearance when he came onto B5, after Sinclair fought to get
him the job.  And that clearance mainly pertains to B5 stuff.

                                                                       jms

 #: 642717 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Jan-97  22:13:08
Sb: #642646-B5 cancelled?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nothing is known for certain yet.

                                                                    jms

   he's changed it slightly over time.  Also, believes that Sheridan
   sent the White Star crew to their deaths in front of the League to
   show them that he will be up-front and honest with people, even if
   he's sending them off to die. ]

 #: 642718 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    28-Jan-97  22:13:10
Sb: #642658-<<The Long Night>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, this was always G'Kar's path.

      I think it also showed the League that he was willing to sacrifice his
own people, that he *means business*...and is prepared to go all the way for
this, and they'd damned well better be as well.

    29-Jan-97  01:47:45
Sb: #642643-#New episode...
Fm: MR. TRACY SCHELL

>>        The episode that preceded "The Long Night" aired last week...and bear
in mind that Cartagia has never been shown to be weak...he's young, and Londo
ain't...he takes pride in being a lady's man, so given that he got behind
Londo, a weak position for anyone, it's very reasonable. <<

Well, he's never been shown to be weak, but I can't think of anything to
indicate he's strong. He has guards to protect him and servents to wait on him
hand and foot. Also, I thought in a past episode Londo a dual with someone,
indicating he had some formal fighting skills. Before Cartagia got behind him
he first struck Londo from the front didn't he.

Anyway, I know he had to get the upper hand to allow Vir to save the day which
took me by surprise. I should have seen it coming but for some reason I didn't.
I was thrown by Cartagia's sudden display of strength I guess.

While I've got your attention, any new word on renewal for season 5?

Mr.T- Who ducks when Delta Rockets explode!

 #: 642752 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    29-Jan-97  03:54:46
Sb: #642738-New episode...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No word yet.

    29-Jan-97  06:49:04
Sb: #642639-#Scott Adams cameo
Fm: SCOTT J. EPSTEIN

Joe:

For those of us with friends and aquaintances who are Dilbert fans and
occasional B5 watchers, can you tell us which episode Adams will appear in?

Thanks.

SJE

 #: 642867 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Jan-97  11:54:08
Sb: #642788-Scott Adams cameo
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I seem to remember dropping his cameo into "Moments of Transition."

    29-Jan-97  06:49:05
Sb: #642643-#New episode...
Fm: SCOTT J. EPSTEIN

The thing about Vir's action is that it even seemed foreshadowed in "The
Summoning." I'm thinking of the scene when Cartagia (with his hands covered
with G'Kar's blood) finds Londo and Vir in the garden, and says to Vir, "What
are *you* doing here?" Almost as though he sensed a threat.

SJE

 #: 642868 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    29-Jan-97  11:54:09
Sb: #642789-New episode...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Who knows, sometimes the characters know more about this stuff to come
than I do....

    29-Jan-97  12:55:55
Sb: #NATPE & Rumors
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

I'm sure that by now you've read the first page of this week's Zocalo, as well
as fielded a zillion questions about the cancellation rumors.  If you haven't
read the Zocalo, you should.  It's a quoted passage from a local station
programming person about B5.  This person cites a WB Domestic TeeVee person as
his/her source for B5's cancellation.

I thought that someone asked you about NATPE, here, a week or so ago, and you
said it wasn't particularly useful for continuing shows.  In next week's TVG
(Gaaaaak!  I hate citing that rag!) there is an article about NATPE and
pictures of Kevin Sorbo, Lucy Lawless, and Rosie O'Donnell.  (All of their
shows are continuing.)  NATPE seems to be the source of the fourth annual
cancellation rumor.  I'm curious about two related things.

1.  Is it possible that somebody sold you a bill of goods about the value of
going to NATPE?  Would B5 have fared better if people had been pushing it at
these industry shindigs?

2.  Do you have someone in WB Domestic TV seriouly honked off at you?  Or is
someone trying to generate support, using reverse psychology, by floating a
cancellation rumor, so the loyal fans will rise into a collective high hover
and start yet another letter writing campaign, to "rescue" the show?

Or, of course, there could also be something else going on.  I'm madly writing
letters, anyway.

Anne

 #: 643073 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Jan-97  22:44:55
Sb: #642887-#NATPE & Rumors
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I understand...thing is, people carried back the same reports from the
same NATPE convention *last* year...so where does one start?

                                                                    jms

   was actually supporting the actions of someone who caved in to the
   pressure of the McCarthy hearings. ]

 #: 643074 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Jan-97  22:44:56
Sb: #642978-#Harlan on 'PI'
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah,I was astounded myself.  Neither he nor Star Parker knew a thing
about what the Blacklist was really about...I think if you're going to do a
show like that, you should do your homework.

    29-Jan-97  20:02:42
Sb: #Harlan
Fm: ROSEANN M. CAPUTO

Hey Joe,

Caught Harlan the other night on Politically Incorrect.  I had to say that he's
one of the most intelligent people I've ever seen on that show.  He makes
sense.  I pretty much found myself agreeing pretty much with everything he
said.....     Is that a good thing or a bad thing do you suppose? <g>

Is it true that you and he will be at Icon in New York early April?

Roseann

 #: 643075 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Jan-97  22:44:58
Sb: #643039-#Harlan
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, we'll both definitely be at ICON.

    29-Jan-97  15:18:52
Sb: #642718-#<<The Long Night>>
Fm: NEIL BLEVINS

Great episode, but one quick question. You said that Vir sort of came up to you
and told you he had to kill Cartagia. Who was originally supposed to kill him?
Londo? G'kar? Someone else?

- Neil

 #: 643076 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    29-Jan-97  22:45:00
Sb: #642948-#<<The Long Night>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It was gonna be Londo right up until 2 pages before the scene...then Vir
said, "Nope."

    29-Jan-97  20:12:35
Sb: #The Long Night
Fm: ROSEANN M. CAPUTO

Joe,

The Long Night!!!!  You're not kidding!!!!!  Last night seemed to take forever
to get here.  I taped the show monday and had to wait until I got home from
work last night! <g>

It was worth the wait though.  The whole scene with G'Kar and the other Narn
and then to have them ask, what did he endure?????  If they only knew!  It
almost seemed as though he had to laugh.  It was either that or something
worse.  And Vir, I didn't even see that coming?  Did he?

When you write, does it ever feel like that there's this person inside your
head who keeps bugging you to tell a story about them, or do I need that
vacation more than I know???  It's like if I have a dream about something that
I remember, and I "see" someone or something I have to write it down.  It goes
over and over in my mind until little "scenes" develop and I write it all down.

You're an amazing storyteller.  I think of the word bard when I see you telling
us this story.  Do you have a lute at home? <g>

Roseann

 #: 643077 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    29-Jan-97  22:45:04
Sb: #643043-#The Long Night
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Certainly there's an obsession to get this story out.  And the characters
are alive, on one level...because you have to imagine them as being real in
order to write them.  22 times a year I crack a window to peer in at them....

    29-Jan-97  18:03:40
Sb: #Catherine Sakai
Fm: JEAN S MCKNIGHT

Forgive me for being out of the loop, but I was just wondering (you see, I got
B5 religion sort of late in life and hence missed the early eps, except those I
begged copies of once it hit me) if anyone knows what ever happened to
Catherine Sakai? Just loved her and Sinclair together. Did she go off to Minbar
with him?  Did he just go traipsing back in time without so much as a phone
call? I suppose it isn't like she can just hop a bus and catch up with him,
anyway, and maybe he didn't want to have the inevitable "no, don't go"
conversation.  Or was it just not dealt with, what with the universe needing to
be saved and all? Or maybe she took one look at Sheridan and was too overcome
by lust to remember her own name, let alone Sinclair's? ( Happens to the best
of us <g>)

Whatdaya think? Any chance she'll show up again, and maybe a technomage can
give her a one way ticket to Valen-land on the orange blossom express?

 #: 643100 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    30-Jan-97  02:04:52
Sb: #643015-Catherine Sakai
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The fate of Catherine Sakai will be revealed in a coming B5 novel from
Dell.