JMS on CompuServe (Jul 01, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (2/2)

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue Jul 1 22:53:16 EDT 1997

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #682147-B5 on TNT
    Sb: #682173-Last 4 - have to redo?
    Sb: #682183-#makeup in new movies
    Sb: #682210-Last 4 - have to redo?
    Sb: #682225-#B5 *only* on cable now??

 #: 682147 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jul-97  05:15:31
Sb: #682119-#B5 on TNT
Fm: SCOTT BAKER

Could you have gotten a TNT like deal back then?

--Scott

 #: 682287 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jul-97  12:43:52
Sb: #682147-B5 on TNT
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Since TNT wasn't making those kinds of deals back then, the point is
moot.

    01-Jul-97  06:45:19
Sb: #681799-#Last 4 - have to redo?
Fm: VADIM NARODITSKY

Thank you for your reply.

I think you take it too hard.
 First, I haven't seen a writer yet that created something that absolutely
everyone liked (at least while he still was alive). Someone will always be
unhappy no matter what you do and you know that.
 Second, most of your audience are americans, i.e. people who got used to
stories and movies with just one culmination and with predictable happy ending.
It is hard for them to imagine that there can be more than one ending and more
than one culmination (it is quite natural for me since I am from Russia).

I think your work is great. If you read my other postings you know that I don't
agree with most that Sheridan is "all  good" and Bester is "all bad". IOW, I
don't think that "musketeers" are good and "cardinal" is bad. But this is your
strenth: First it is real enough to think and discuss it as if were discussing
a real situation and second, noone in your show is "all good" (except Marcus
and Lennier?) and noone is all bad (except Cartagia?). You even took us away
from "Vorlons/Shadows as good/evil" concept which was unexpected.
 The only bad thing about season 5 I can say, and it a very bad thing, that it
it going to be the last. I can only hope that in 15 years my daughter will
watch and like "B5:The next generation".

Joe, do you or did you write anything besides science fiction or consider to
write it? I'd like to read it. I think you would write excellent "global
adventure", I mean something like Frederik Forsait (sp? - English spelling of
names is most difficult for me).

Vadim

 #: 682288 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jul-97  12:43:53
Sb: #682173-Last 4 - have to redo?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yeah, I've often done non-SF stuff...comedy, cop shows, mystery shows,
historical stuff, horror, essays, articles...a little of everything.

    01-Jul-97  08:07:54
Sb: #makeup in new movies
Fm: CATHERINE BECIC

I haven't seen The Gathering since it's original air date, so it was good to
see cards in the new Special Edition set and see how things looked in the
pilot.  Of course we see how Delenn changed drastically in look, and Londo's
hair got restyled.  My question:  For the move In The Beginning, which is then
to be followed immediately by The Gathering on TNT in January, how will you be
handling the makeup?  Will it be some kind of blend between the pilot and the
series?  Closer to the series and forget that it looks different from the
pilot?  just wondering.

Catherine Becic

 #: 682289 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jul-97  12:43:58
Sb: #682183-#makeup in new movies
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, we're using the series makeup, rather than add one more permutation.

                                                                       jms

 #: 682290 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jul-97  12:44:00
Sb: #682210-Last 4 - have to redo?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I'm cutting back on salt, I never see the sun anyway, and the showgirls
can take care of themselves.

                                                                       jms

 #: 682291 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jul-97  12:44:01