JMS on CompuServe (Jul 07, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon Jul 7 16:09:47 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #683130-Season 5
    Sb: #683044-Congratulations & Thanks
    Sb: #683578-Last 4 - have to redo?
    Sb: #683271-Last 4 - have to redo?
    Sb: #683266-B5 *only* on cable now??
    Sb: #683024-B5 *only* on cable now??
    Sb: #683065-B5 *only* on cable now??
    Sb: #682986-#Renegade???
    Sb: #683336-S5 in the UK?
    Sb: #683364-Script Smart
    Sb: #682973-#General
    Sb: #683534-#Updates from jms
    Sb: #683441-<season5 cast (rumor)>

   I going to have to break down and buy cable?" ]

 #: 683643 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Jul-97  02:49:07
Sb: #683130-Season 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      If you're in the US, it's only available on TNT.

                                                                    jms

   you for putting it together."  Plus a comment quoted below. ]

 #: 683644 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Jul-97  02:49:09
Sb: #683044-Congratulations & Thanks
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks....

"And I notice that one episode made the TV Guide list of the top 100 shows
ever."

      No...don't think so, though it's a great idea.

                                                                    jms

   has gotten better and better as time has gone by.  He now doesn't
   miss an episode. ]

 #: 683645 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Jul-97  02:49:11
Sb: #683578-Last 4 - have to redo?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.

    04-Jul-97  22:39:21
Sb: #681908-#Last 4 - have to redo?
Fm: RICK COREY /NY

Yup, it is astonishing how shallow the gene pool can get.

On the bright side, if only one out of 100 of us are really offensive twits,
then you've attracted a group of fans that are almost two orders of magnitude
above average. (Sturgeon's Law)

Of course, if "only" one M&M in each bag exploded in my mouth, I'd eventually
stop eating M&Ms.

I was so sad to think that B5 was almost over that I was chewing my lip to keep
from whimpering.  It felt like being about to loose a good friend.  I really
understood the woman whose first thought while falling through her attic floor
was: "But I can't die *yet*!  B5 has three more years to run!"

Reprieved (for one more year)!  If you hadn't said from Day One that it was to
be a five year story, I would already be begging for yet another year.  That
way lies madness.

Thank you (fervently) for all your blood, sweat and tears.  Thanks to the
actors, too.  I blush to think how real their characters are to me.  News of
season five was the best birthday present I can remember.

Thanks again
Minister of the Cathode Ray

 #: 683646 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Jul-97  02:49:13
Sb: #683271-Last 4 - have to redo?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, but if it were easy, I guess everybody'd do it.

      Thanks.

    04-Jul-97  22:07:53
Sb: #682792-#B5 *only* on cable now??
Fm: RICHARD E. COUTURE

Joe:

Speaking of special situations, what will happen to the final four that were
being held by WB till the fall.  Will they still be aired by the syndicated
stations or will TNT show them?

Rich

 #: 683647 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Jul-97  02:49:15
Sb: #683266-B5 *only* on cable now??
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, the final 4 of S4 will show in October, on regular stations.

    03-Jul-97  18:49:53
Sb: #682850-#B5 *only* on cable now??
Fm: SYSOP DUPA T PARROT

>> Columbia House will be releasing the show on cassette via mail-order this
Fall, I believe. <<

Joe,

Will this be something like Columbia House's special collector subscriptions?
For example, you sign up and get a B5 tape every four weeks? At that rate, it'd
take nearly five years to collect all 110 episodes, the pilot and two movies.

Or would they offer the tapes individually or each season as a boxed set?

 -SysOp Dupa T. Parrot, Technical Consultant
 dupa at compuserve.com    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dupa
 OzWin 2.12.2 O-

 #: 683648 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Jul-97  02:49:17
Sb: #683024-B5 *only* on cable now??
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Dunno.

    03-Jul-97  23:44:52
Sb: #682850-#B5 *only* on cable now??
Fm: BURHAAN  AHMAD

>>  Columbia House will be releasing the show on cassette via mail-order this
Fall, I believe. <<

Renewal, sequel, Gaiman, and now videos!

Thanks for delivering, Joe.

I assume Columbia House will sell the videos through their catalog, the way
they sell music and other movies, yes?

 #: 683649 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Jul-97  02:49:19
Sb: #683065-B5 *only* on cable now??
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Insofar as I know, yes.

    03-Jul-97  16:05:50
Sb: #Renegade???
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

Did you write the episode of Renegade that aired (well...cabled) tonight on
USA?  We tuned in after the weather, since tornado warnings seemed worth
checking out, and missed the credits.

It was about a looney who escaped and tried to rob an armored car full of worn
out money.  One of the cops whose uniforms got stolen was named Straczynski,
and the villain asked for "metazine" as a psychotropic drug.

Or did my ears deceive me?  <g>

Just curious.

Anne

 #: 683650 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Jul-97  02:49:21
Sb: #682986-#Renegade???
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I don't write for Renegade, and thus have no information on this other
than what you just told me.

    05-Jul-97  07:01:36
Sb: #S5 in the UK?
Fm: COLIN HEAPS

Hello Joe,

Do you think it likely that TNT will be showing S5 in the UK?
a) At all
b) within a "reasonable" time period

There is an awful lot of B5 fans over here who are probably wondering the same
thing.  Every thread I have seen so far seems to suggest that only the TNT
network within the USA is likely to be showing S5 as and when it begins.

I know it's early days, but you can blame yourself for us getting so involved
<bg>.

Colkai

 #: 683651 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Jul-97  02:49:23
Sb: #683336-S5 in the UK?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I haven't been apprised of the UK situation in full yet, but imagine that
it'll go through WB as before, not TNT.

    05-Jul-97  11:10:03
Sb: #Script Smart
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

    I finished my first pass through your scriptwriting book last week and
wanted to let you know how much I really enjoyed it.  I haven't had a chance to
read much but technical manuals and journals in the last few years, so this was
a nice change.

    Wait.  This was a technical manual, wasn't it?   D'oh!

    At any rate, I did really like the way you wove the technical information
into a fabric of history and personal anecdote.  And the samples you provided
served to answer any questions your text did not.

    While I had the vaguest idea of television and movie scriptwriting, I had
no clue whatsoever about radio and stage scripting, so even though the entire
book was a treasure, those sections were especially fun.

    But, above all, I think your book goes to prove that while the final
product may look like magic to those of us on the outside, participation in
that magic potion isn't beyond the reach of the Average Joe.  You just have to
be talented, dedicated and persistent (bordering on "pain in the ass"), and you
stand as good a chance as anyone of succeeding in the "biz."

    I'm definitely going to give the book another read-through in the near
future to catch whatever gems of wisdom I missed the first time through, but I
had to pause at this point and thank you for writing it. I know you say that
this is the book you wished existed when you were starting, but you still
didn't have to write it.  I may never actually use the information contained in
the book to write a script, but, as someone who loves knowledge in any form, I
found it quite satisfying. And I'm sure those who are planning to make a career
out of writing scripts will find it an invaluable tool.

Sincerely,

  -- Brent

 #: 683652 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Jul-97  02:49:25
Sb: #683364-Script Smart
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...I'm very proud of that book.

    03-Jul-97  15:17:04
Sb: #682951-#General
Fm: ROSEANN M. CAPUTO

" Two: Chocolate and coffee."

Do you do the gourmet coffee?  I understand Godiva now has coffee on the
market.  I'm very into Chocolate myself, but absolutely cannot stand the taste
of coffee.  I have family from New York and many moons ago, my uncle brought us
some cheesecake from a little bakery on Long Island.  It was the first time I
ever had chocolate cheesecake and marble cheesecake.  That day I knew there was
a god.  <g>

Joe, any chance that you'll be at the big B5 convention in Pasadena in
November?

Roseann

 #: 683653 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-Jul-97  02:49:28
Sb: #682973-#General
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No one's talked to me yet about a B5 con in Pasadena in October, so I
dunno.

      And yeah, I do the gourmet coffee thing.  Big on Arabian Mocha Sanani,
and Silewesi, and Sumatran.  It's the one "trendy" thing I allow myself.

                                                                    jms

 #: 683654 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Jul-97  03:03:25
Sb: #683534-#Updates from jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Basically, Warner Bros. was not willnig to fund a fifth season of B5 for
syndication."

      Incorrect.  Not just incorrect but *massively* incorrect.

      In the past, the PTEN deal had WB and the indie stations putting up the
money for B5.

      For year 5, TNT *and* WB are both footing the bill for the fifth season.
WB *wanted* to do the show, but was finding trouble in the current syndicated
marketplace with more and more stations, and timeslots, being committed to
other programs and networks like UPN.  TNT provided a window, and WB went
through it.

                                                                    jms

   wonders if it is any indication of the possibility of seeing him in
   the fifth season. ]

 #: 683655 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-Jul-97  03:03:27
Sb: #683441-<season5 cast (rumor)>